[perl #34669] [TODO] Make imcc.l compatible with modern flex

Chip Salzenberg

Apr 4, 2005, 4:00:36 PM4/4/05
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Chip Salzenberg
# Please include the string: [perl #34669]

The creators of flex were rather mean to go and change the internal
API without even incrementing the major version. But that's what they
did. Now Parrot doesn't work with current flex.

We should make imcc.l (and any other lexers) compatible with modern
flex versions.

Frankly I've never really like flex, but as long as we're using it,
let's use the current version.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <ch...@pobox.com>
Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code

MrJoltCola

Apr 4, 2005, 6:12:00 PM4/4/05
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
At 04:00 PM 4/4/2005, via RT wrote:
># New Ticket Created by Chip Salzenberg
># Please include the string: [perl #34669]
># in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
>

>The creators of flex were rather mean to go and change the internal
>API without even incrementing the major version. But that's what they
>did. Now Parrot doesn't work with current flex.
>
>We should make imcc.l (and any other lexers) compatible with modern
>flex versions.
>
>Frankly I've never really like flex, but as long as we're using it,
>let's use the current version.

Only reason I chose flex was that it is the only one I was able to compile
on Win32 as well as UNIX. If you know of something better let me know
because I'd love to use it for my current and future projects.

I'm using flex++ on my current compiler because its nice to be able to
easily instantiate multiple lexers without hacking the plain C flex, however
lately I'm having second thoughts because it forces me to link in iostream
which is huge. I think I'm going back to STDIO.

-Melvin

Chip Salzenberg

Oct 10, 2005, 10:33:16 AM10/10/05
to Joshua Hoblitt via RT
On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 08:41:32PM -0700, Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:
> It works with flex version 2.5.4 - is that new enough? ;)

Sorry, that's the old one. The new one is 2.5.31 or so.

Yes, the maintainers of flex made an incompatible change in the middle
of the 2.5.* version series. Grr.
--
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@pobox.com>