Cage Cleaning for dummies? Re: Call for Parrot Janitors

Bill Ricker

Jul 5, 2006, 10:58:19 PM7/5/06
to Andy Lester, p6i
For those of us drawn in by the postings elsewhere, not long-time
denizens of either P6 or Porters lists, a pointer to the basic HOWTO
for setting up a build-and-smoke environment that's a bit longer than
>>> svn co https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot
would be useful.

E.g.,
* How many free GB should I expect to need on my filesystem(s) to copy
and build?
* Is there a minimum version of SVN required to access this repository?
* Is a FQDN with RDNS required for access or posting of bugs?
* Minimum GCC == whatever Perl5 was built with? or specific?
* Is > parrot/cage/todo.pod in the source tree or elsewhere?
* Is building on Debian 3.0 ("Woody") of any use or practicality?

(Alas, I do _not_ have the Tru64/DEC compiler for Alpha AXP on my
Debian/Alpha. There's someone I can talk to, I might be able to get
it, or get access to it. Hmm.)

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill....@gmail.com

Chromatic

Jul 6, 2006, 12:10:47 AM7/6/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Bill Ricker, Andy Lester
On Wednesday 05 July 2006 19:58, Bill Ricker wrote:

> * How many free GB should I expect to need on my filesystem(s) to copy
> and build?

My source tree is 70 Mb with Svk, so 150 - 250 Mb should suffice.

> * Is there a minimum version of SVN required to access this repository?

At least 1.0, I expect.

> * Is a FQDN with RDNS required for access or posting of bugs?

I believe you can post through the web interface.

> * Minimum GCC == whatever Perl5 was built with? or specific?

Probably at least 2.9x.

> * Is > parrot/cage/todo.pod in the source tree or elsewhere?

It's in the tree.

> * Is building on Debian 3.0 ("Woody") of any use or practicality?

Sure, why not? Alternate arches would be good too.

> (Alas, I do _not_ have the Tru64/DEC compiler for Alpha AXP on my
> Debian/Alpha. There's someone I can talk to, I might be able to get
> it, or get access to it. Hmm.)

Alpha would be very good.

-- c

Nicholas Clark

Jul 6, 2006, 1:33:48 AM7/6/06
to chromatic, perl6-i...@perl.org, Bill Ricker, Andy Lester
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:10:47PM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 19:58, Bill Ricker wrote:

> > * Minimum GCC == whatever Perl5 was built with? or specific?
>
> Probably at least 2.9x.

Why? IIRC gcc 2.7 was good and stable, and it's not like C89 has changed much
in the past 10 years. I guess it's really down to whether the C compiler
(gcc or otherwise) has awkward bugs on your platform.

> > (Alas, I do _not_ have the Tru64/DEC compiler for Alpha AXP on my
> > Debian/Alpha. There's someone I can talk to, I might be able to get
> > it, or get access to it. Hmm.)
>
> Alpha would be very good.

Any vendor compiler is very good at picking up sloppy C code. As well as
Tru64, anyone with Irix, AIX, HP-UX, particularly if 64 bit, would be most
welcome.

Anyone got a Cray? sizeof(short) being 8 is always fun for surprising
unwary source code. And something (Amdahl mainframes?) aren't 2's complement.

Nicholas Clark

Steve Peters

Jul 6, 2006, 4:24:55 AM7/6/06
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 06:33:48AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:10:47PM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 July 2006 19:58, Bill Ricker wrote:
>
> > > * Minimum GCC == whatever Perl5 was built with? or specific?
> >
> > Probably at least 2.9x.
>
> Why? IIRC gcc 2.7 was good and stable, and it's not like C89 has changed much
> in the past 10 years. I guess it's really down to whether the C compiler
> (gcc or otherwise) has awkward bugs on your platform.
>
> > > (Alas, I do _not_ have the Tru64/DEC compiler for Alpha AXP on my
> > > Debian/Alpha. There's someone I can talk to, I might be able to get
> > > it, or get access to it. Hmm.)
> >
> > Alpha would be very good.
>
> Any vendor compiler is very good at picking up sloppy C code. As well as
> Tru64, anyone with Irix, AIX, HP-UX, particularly if 64 bit, would be most
> welcome.

The MS Visual Studio compilers are also very picky, and that's where I
made some initial contributions.

Alternative compilers on various OS's are also a good place to look for
problems. Intel C++ is on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X (Intel). The
alpha Sun Studio compiler is available for Linux.

Steve Peters
st...@fisharerojo.org

Chris Dolan

Jul 6, 2006, 10:39:58 AM7/6/06
to chromatic, Internals List, Bill Ricker
On Jul 5, 2006, at 11:10 PM, chromatic wrote:

>> * Is a FQDN with RDNS required for access or posting of bugs?
>
> I believe you can post through the web interface.

Not as of yesterday. RT appears broken and searches return no
bugs... The official bug submission recommendations are listed here:
http://bugs6.perl.org/

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)

Will Coleda

Jul 6, 2006, 10:48:21 AM7/6/06
to Chris Dolan, chromatic, Internals List, Bill Ricker
Submitting bugs is not done through the web interface, but via email.

Please see: http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/submissions.html

RT was upgraded recently. It seems to be working at the moment.

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda
wi...@coleda.com