The great "class" variable renaming

Steve Peters

Apr 9, 2007, 12:38:14 PM4/9/07
to parrot-...@perl.org
One problem I recently ran into while working on compiling parrot with
C++ is the use of "class" as a variable name in struct _vtable and as
parameters in several functions.

This will need to change as I begin to move forward on my compatiblity
work and I'm looking for some consensus on the name for the vtable.
In my initial work, I've changed the name to "pmc_class" since it
seems to be the most accurate based on the documentaton in vtable.h.
I'm gladly open to suggestions for a different name for this
varaible.

Parameters and variables in functions will, however, be handled on
a case by case basis to work out the most appropriate replacement
name based on its use. Please feel free to adjust if you think I've
gotten something wrong.

Regards,

Steve Peters
st...@fisharerojo.org

Klaas-Jan Stol

Apr 9, 2007, 4:48:43 PM4/9/07
to Steve Peters, parrot-...@perl.org
Steve Peters wrote:
> One problem I recently ran into while working on compiling parrot with
> C++ is the use of "class" as a variable name in struct _vtable and as
> parameters in several functions.
>
> This will need to change as I begin to move forward on my compatiblity
> work and I'm looking for some consensus on the name for the vtable.
> In my initial work, I've changed the name to "pmc_class" since it
> seems to be the most accurate based on the documentaton in vtable.h.
> I'm gladly open to suggestions for a different name for this
> varaible.

I think the word "namespace" should also be used with care, or
preferably renamed to something else.

kjs