RFC: Possible SoC Proposal

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 21, 2006, 2:20:23 PM4/21/06
to p6i
Hi

This Google Summer of Code proposal was an idea we had when Leopold
visited Braga this month to talk about Parrot. He had a talk with a
teacher here in the university which teach compilers, and is working on
a toy language named LISS (Language of Integers, Sets and Sequences).

The proposal was to create a compiler to this language. You can check
the grammar (well, it might change a little but is mainly the one there)
and examples at http://eremita.di.uminho.pt/~ambs/LISS

Why it might be interesting: have one more language targeted to Parrot,
have some interaction between the Universities world and the Parrot
world, and others. I hope Leo comment this mail with his thoughts when
he had the idea.

Now, why am I sending this email?

1) I never proposed anything for SoC at all, and I don't know if this is
a task big enough;
2) I do not know if there is really interest on doing this
3) I do not know who to propose as mentor (I offer myself in case of
necessity)

And probably more that will appear soon :)

Please, comment... gently :)
Cheers
Alberto

--
Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

Chromatic

Apr 21, 2006, 2:42:07 PM4/21/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt
On Friday 21 April 2006 11:20, Alberto Simões wrote:

> Now, why am I sending this email?
>
> 1) I never proposed anything for SoC at all, and I don't know if this is
> a task big enough;
> 2) I do not know if there is really interest on doing this
> 3) I do not know who to propose as mentor (I offer myself in case of
> necessity)

Seems reasonable idea to me. Starting a new language port or continuing any
of the existing, maintained langauge ports would be a good SoC project.

-- c

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 21, 2006, 4:00:06 PM4/21/06
to p6i
Follows a quick proposal. Please give me comments (specially the
English, that I know is bad!!)
LISS-Google-TPF-proposal

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 21, 2006, 4:32:51 PM4/21/06
to p6i
And, a new version (thanks to pmurias at #parrot for the idea).

Sorry for the spam :)

Alberto

> =========================
> GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE
> =========================
>
> Name
> Alberto Simões
>
> Email
> am...@cpan.org
>
> Project
> P-LISS - A Parrot targeted LISS Compiler
>
> Synopsis
> To implement a compiler of LISS (Language of Integers, Sets and
> Sequences) targeted to the Parrot Vitual Machine
>
> Benefits to the Perl Community
> - connecting parrot to the academic world
> - Parrot testing
> - development of a language to teach programming
>
> Deliverables
> A LISS Compiler with tests, full documentation of the language and
> its grammar. A set of examples and probably a tutorial.
>
> Project Details
> LISS is a language developed by the group of specification and
> language processing of the Universidade do Minho in Braga, Portugal.
> It is intended to be simple to teach students how to program.
>
> LISS grammar already exists and an interpreter will be probably
> built meanwhile. The idea is to create a compiler for LISS, written
> in any portable language (we would like to make it usable in all
> three main platforms -- Windows, Mac OS and Linux) targeting LISS
> into Parrot.
>
> Project Schedule
>
> This project should be completed in two or three months (depending
> on the evolution of Parrot and the knowledge of the programmer).
>
> Milestones include: create a parser, write tests, generate code,
> write documentation.
>
> Bio
>
> I am a PhD student at Universidade do Minho, member of the group who
> developed LISS, but not directly related to it. Meanwhile, I've been
> a contributor to Parrot, and thus, I am in the middle of the two world.
> Also, I have easy contact with the creators of LISS and Leopold Toetch
> who, I think, would help me mentoring the student in case of need.

LISS-Google-TPF-proposal

Ruben Fonseca

Apr 22, 2006, 6:36:24 PM4/22/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Alberto Simões wrote:
> Hi
>
> This Google Summer of Code proposal was an idea we had when Leopold
> visited Braga this month to talk about Parrot. He had a talk with a
> teacher here in the university which teach compilers, and is working on
> a toy language named LISS (Language of Integers, Sets and Sequences).
>
> The proposal was to create a compiler to this language. You can check
> the grammar (well, it might change a little but is mainly the one there)
> and examples at http://eremita.di.uminho.pt/~ambs/LISS

Since I'm a student at your University, your friend, know LISS and the
teacher who invented LISS, and want to learn Parrot, count me on :-)

Cheers,
Ruben

Ruben Fonseca

Apr 22, 2006, 11:50:53 AM4/22/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Alberto Simões wrote:
> The proposal was to create a compiler to this language. You can check
> the grammar (well, it might change a little but is mainly the one there)
> and examples at http://eremita.di.uminho.pt/~ambs/LISS
>
> Why it might be interesting: have one more language targeted to Parrot,
> have some interaction between the Universities world and the Parrot
> world, and others. I hope Leo comment this mail with his thoughts when
> he had the idea.

Since I'm a student at your University, your friend, know LISS and the

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 23, 2006, 2:24:25 PM4/23/06
to p6i
Anybody knows who is the TPF responsible for SoC?
Thank you
Alberto

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 23, 2006, 2:36:36 PM4/23/06
to p6i
Alberto Simões wrote:
> Anybody knows who is the TPF responsible for SoC?

You can contact us with any questions at summer...@perl.org.

al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt

Apr 23, 2006, 3:52:36 PM4/23/06
to al...@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt, p6i
Regarding my SoC proposal, received as answer from summer...@perl.org:

> We are not accepting proposals for mentors.
> If you have an idea for a student proposal. you can write it up
> similar to other ideas on the 'ideas' page, and the committee will
> probably decide to list it there.

Now, the question is, how can I edit that page? :)

Thank you
Alberto