[perl #39823] [CAGE] tools/dev/run_indent.pl -- this should be a test

Jerry Gay

Jul 13, 2006, 1:03:20 PM7/13/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Jerry Gay
# Please include the string: [perl #39823]

=head1 NAME

tools/dev/run_indent.pl - Check indentation in C files

=head1 SYNOPSIS

% perl tools/dev/run_indent.pl file1 [file2 ...]

=head1 DESCRIPTION

This script ensures that the specified C source files have correct
indentation.

=end

this is part of the coding standards, and should be a test under
t/codingstd/. if necessary, it should be updated to follow the coding
standards laid out in PDD07.
~jerry

Jerry Gay

Jul 16, 2006, 12:36:58 PM7/16/06
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
On 7/15/06, Guest via RT <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> Also, is Parrot::Config no more? Can you please tell me what has
> replaced it?
>
> Thanks!
> Swaroop

C<Parrot::Config> is generated by C<perl Configure.pl>. so you won't
find it in a fresh working copy. you'll see it under C<lib/>, which
may mean you need to add a line like C<use lib qw{ lib . ../lib ../lib
};> to your code so it's found properly.

~jerry

Jerry Gay

Mar 19, 2007, 12:38:24 PM3/19/07
On 3/19/07, Paul Cochrane via RT <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> On Mon Jul 24 19:51:24 2006, guest wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jerry,
> >
> > I've made an initial version of C<indent.t>.
> >
> > Can you please tell me if this is ok and what improvements are needed?
> >
> > There are a few stuff from C<run_indent.pl> that I have not copied
> over,
> > I needed advice whether they are still needed?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Swaroop
>
> Jerry,
>
> Hasn't t/codingstd/c_indent.t superseded this patch? I think it also
> closes this ticket, do you agree?
>
> Paul

not exactly. this program is poorly named, as it checks much more than
indentation. for example, it checks that function declarations have
the return type on the same line.

from the looks of it, the indentation tests in t/codingstd/ seem to
surpass the tests in this script, but there are other checks here that
are not represented in t/codingstd/. so, until those checks are
implemented as tests, this ticket should remain open to track that
effort, and this file should stick around so we have a reference.

~jerry

Paul Cochrane via RT

Mar 19, 2007, 12:20:05 PM3/19/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org

James Keenan via RT

Feb 24, 2008, 8:20:27 PM2/24/08
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Thu Jul 12 11:58:58 2007, coke wrote:
> This file seems to be obsoleted by t/codingstd/c_indent.t; It also relies
> on the non-standard module C::Scan.

Is there any reason why we can't close this ticket?

kid51

Will Coleda

Feb 24, 2008, 8:33:20 PM2/24/08
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, perl6-i...@perl.org

Yes; the file tools/dev/run_indent.pl is still in the repository,
still relies on the non-core C::Scan, and is still likely[1] obsoleted
by the codingst test.

> kid51

[1] I haven't compared how the two files do.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda

James Keenan via RT

Mar 16, 2008, 11:05:49 AM3/16/08
to perl6-i...@perl.org
No one has spoken up in defense of tools/dev/run_indent.pl. If no one
does so within 24 hours, I will yank it from the distribution and close
this ticket.

kid51

Will Coleda

Mar 16, 2008, 4:16:06 PM3/16/08
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, perl6-i...@perl.org

+1, please do.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda

James Keenan via RT

Mar 19, 2008, 6:47:59 PM3/19/08
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Committed to trunk in r26498. Resolving ticket.