[perl #41243] Link on Win32 with Borland C++

Will Coleda

Jan 11, 2007, 11:57:22 AM1/11/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Will Coleda
# Please include the string: [perl #41243]

Need details.

Steve Peters via RT

Jan 11, 2007, 12:55:41 PM1/11/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Thu Jan 11 08:57:22 2007, coke wrote:
> Need details.

A recent patch has gotten Parrot to the point that it can be compiled
with Borland C++ on Win32. Unfortunately, it does not link correctly to
actually create a valid parrot executable. Additional configuration is
needed to make Borland compile and link Parrot so that it can actually
be run and tested.

Andrew Whitworth

Dec 16, 2008, 9:30:22 AM12/16/08
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
I'll pick up borland and play with it, although I won't get to it
until the next cycle. I've got a really old version of Turbo C++ 4.52
left over from school, and free versions of Turbo C++ Explorer are
available for download. I don't promise any miracles, but at least I
will be able to prove that some errors still exist or not.

--Andrew Whitworth

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Will Coleda via RT
<parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:

> Without a champion for this compiler, there's not much we can do; Our current targets for
> Windows include, as I understand it, cygwin, strawberry perl and its build system, and recent
> versions of VisualC++. Borland isn't in our core list for the upcoming 1.0 release.
>
> If we do find a Borland champion, they should open a new ticket at https://trac.parrot.org/.
>
> Rejecting this ticket; Regards.
>
> --
> Will "Coke" Coleda

Will Coleda

Dec 16, 2008, 1:34:27 PM12/16/08
to Andrew Whitworth, Ron Blaschke, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
Unless this task would make you exceedingly happy, I wouldn't bother.

IMO, there are much higher priority things requiring tuits than trying
to add a fourth compiler for windows, especially before the 1.0
release.

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda

Steve Peters

Dec 16, 2008, 1:27:58 PM12/16/08
to Ron Blaschke, Andrew Whitworth, parrotbug...@parrotcode.org
> Some time ago, because of this ticket, I tried with Borland C++ 5.5.1
> and 5.82, and failed miserably. But that may just be my bad bcc-foo.
> Unless someone's keen for this platform and has access to a fairly new
> ("within two years") version (is it called C++ Builder now?), I'm not
> sure if this is worth pursuing.
>
> Ron

The issue I ran into at the time was that dmake, which was the usual
make program used with bcc32, is not capable of handling the Parrot
make file. I believe it could work with gmake on win32, but I hadn't
really attempted anything down that direction since I was encountering
too many other issues following a major restructuring of the headers
that had occurred.

Steve