[perl #38598] [TODO] PIR Examples, Libraries, and Tests - Migrate to New Subroutine Attributes

Chromatic

Feb 20, 2006, 8:54:48 PM2/20/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by chromatic
# Please include the string: [perl #38598]

Hi there,

The old PIR subroutine attributes ("method", "@MULTI", "@MAIN", "@LOAD",
"@IMMEDIATE", "@POSTCOMP", and "@ANON") are now deprecated in favor of the
lowercased colon-prefixed version. (At least, that's what the code appears
to say.)

A lot of the test suite and much of the library still uses the old form. I've
applied the following patch to the lexer and rebuild Parrot (run Configure.pl
with the --maintainer flag) to remove this code. Now you can run the tests
and the libraries to find the old attributes to update.

(Allison mentioned earlier today that she saw a difference in strict argument
checking between the "method" and ":method" forms. I can't verify that, but
this is an easy todo item for someone just getting started.)

This patch is definitely not suitable for application before the upcoming
release. I have patches to make Parrot finish building after applying the
patch and regenerating IMCC, but I'll hold off on those for a while too.

-- c

remove_deprecated_attributes.patch

Chromatic

Feb 22, 2006, 11:35:03 PM2/22/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On Monday 20 February 2006 17:54, chromatic wrote:

> The old PIR subroutine attributes ("method", "@MULTI", "@MAIN", "@LOAD",
> "@IMMEDIATE", "@POSTCOMP", and "@ANON") are now deprecated in favor of the
> lowercased colon-prefixed version. (At least, that's what the code appears
> to say.)

Here's a patch to the test suite and libraries (but nothing in languages/) to
migrate the attributes. All tests pass for me after applying the patch (and
making the parser stricter -- but this patch doesn't touch the PIR grammar.)

-- c

attrib.patch

Chromatic

Feb 26, 2006, 8:51:35 PM2/26/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Wednesday 22 February 2006 20:35, chromatic wrote
:

> Here's a patch to the test suite and libraries (but nothing in languages/)
> to migrate the attributes. All tests pass for me after applying the patch
> (and making the parser stricter -- but this patch doesn't touch the PIR
> grammar.)

Applied in 11755, 11756, and 11758. (Ticket not closed; I don't have
permission.)

-- c

Robert Spier

Feb 26, 2006, 10:34:34 PM2/26/06
to chromatic, perl6-i...@perl.org
> Applied in 11755, 11756, and 11758. (Ticket not closed; I don't have
> permission.)

You shouldn't say things like that. You have permission now.

-R (pulling an Audrey.)