[perl #41000] Can't compile simple parrot example with latest stable parrot

Bob Wilkinson

Nov 27, 2006, 6:15:17 PM11/27/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Bob Wilkinson
# Please include the string: [perl #41000]

My second 10 line parrot program didn't compile, so I looked at the
examples at http://www.parrotcode.org/examples/pasm.html, and pasted
the following into a file.

bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ cat ex1.pasm
new P0, .PerlInt
set P0, 123
new P1, .PerlInt
set P1, 321
add P1, P1, P0
print P1
print "\n"
end
bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ ../parrot-0.4.7/parrot ex1.pasm
error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected DOT
in file 'ex1.pasm' line 1

I am not sure how to proceed.

Bob
--
BOFH excuse #122:

because Bill Gates is a Jehovah's witness and so nothing can work on St. Swithin's day.

signature.asc

Patrick R. Michaud

Nov 28, 2006, 9:06:43 AM11/28/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 03:15:17PM -0800, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by Bob Wilkinson
> # Please include the string: [perl #41000]
>
> My second 10 line parrot program didn't compile, so I looked at the
> examples at http://www.parrotcode.org/examples/pasm.html, and pasted
> the following into a file.
>
> bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ cat ex1.pasm
> new P0, .PerlInt
> set P0, 123
> new P1, .PerlInt
> set P1, 321
> add P1, P1, P0
> print P1
> print "\n"
> end
> bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ ../parrot-0.4.7/parrot ex1.pasm
> error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected DOT
> in file 'ex1.pasm' line 1
>
> I am not sure how to proceed.

I think the example is out of date. IIRC, the .PerlInt type
was removed some time ago, and so the code above should now
use ".Integer" instead of ".PerlInt".

Pm

Matt Diephouse

Nov 28, 2006, 9:08:22 AM11/28/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On 11/27/06, via RT Bob Wilkinson <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by Bob Wilkinson
> # Please include the string: [perl #41000]
>

> My second 10 line parrot program didn't compile, so I looked at the
> examples at http://www.parrotcode.org/examples/pasm.html, and pasted
> the following into a file.
>
> bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ cat ex1.pasm
> new P0, .PerlInt
> set P0, 123
> new P1, .PerlInt
> set P1, 321
> add P1, P1, P0
> print P1
> print "\n"
> end
> bob@spain :~/src/parrotcode$ ../parrot-0.4.7/parrot ex1.pasm
> error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected DOT
> in file 'ex1.pasm' line 1
>
> I am not sure how to proceed.

This example doesn't work anymore because PerlInt is no longer a
builtin PMC. The examples need to be updated. Replacing PerlInt with
Integer makes it work:

new P0, .Integer
set P0, 123
new P1, .Integer

set P1, 321
add P1, P1, P0
print P1
print "\n"
end

--
Matt Diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com

Paul Cochrane

Nov 28, 2006, 7:55:05 PM11/28/06
to ma...@diephouse.com, perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On 11/28/06, Matt Diephouse <mdd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/27/06, via RT Bob Wilkinson <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> > # New Ticket Created by Bob Wilkinson
> > # Please include the string: [perl #41000]
> > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue.
> >

> > My second 10 line parrot program didn't compile, so I looked at the
> > examples at http://www.parrotcode.org/examples/pasm.html, and pasted
> > the following into a file.
> >
> > bob@spain:~/src/parrotcode$ cat ex1.pasm
> > new P0, .PerlInt
> > set P0, 123
> > new P1, .PerlInt
> > set P1, 321
> > add P1, P1, P0
> > print P1
> > print "\n"
> > end
> > bob@spain :~/src/parrotcode$ ../parrot-0.4.7/parrot ex1.pasm
> > error:imcc:syntax error, unexpected DOT
> > in file 'ex1.pasm' line 1
> >
> > I am not sure how to proceed.
> >

> This example doesn't work anymore because PerlInt is no longer a
> builtin PMC. The examples need to be updated.

This sounds like it could be a CAGE task. Could you open a ticket for
this please? Thanks heaps!

Matt: apologies for the second email, I intended to reply to the list.

Paul

Will Coleda

Nov 28, 2006, 8:42:15 PM11/28/06
to Paul Cochrane, ma...@diephouse.com, perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@netlabs.develooper.com
On Nov 28, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Paul Cochrane wrote:

> On 11/28/06, Matt Diephouse <mdd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 11/27/06, via RT Bob Wilkinson <parrotbug-

>> foll...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
>> > # New Ticket Created by Bob Wilkinson
>> > # Please include the string: [perl #41000]
>> > # in the subject line of all future correspondence about this
>> issue.
>> >

>> > My second 10 line parrot program didn't compile, so I looked at the
>> > examples at http://www.parrotcode.org/examples/pasm.html, and
>> pasted
>> > the following into a file.

Website fixed. Please try again!

> This sounds like it could be a CAGE task. Could you open a ticket for
> this please? Thanks heaps!

This is already a ticket. No need to open a new one. And it's closed
now. =)

--
Will "Coke" Coleda
wi...@coleda.com

Paul Cochrane

Nov 30, 2006, 8:24:23 PM11/30/06
to Will Coleda, ma...@diephouse.com, perl6-i...@perl.org, bugs-bi...@netlabs.develooper.com
Hrm, I did look for such a ticket too, otherwise wouldn't have sent
the email. Great to know that the ticket's closed though!

Paul