[perl #40513] [CAGE] add flex/bison files to c coding standard tests

Jerry Gay

Oct 11, 2006, 12:22:08 PM10/11/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Jerry Gay
# Please include the string: [perl #40513]

*.l and *.y are c files, and must meet the coding standards for this filetype.
~jerry

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

Oct 11, 2006, 3:55:23 PM10/11/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Jerry Gay (via RT) wrote:
> *.l and *.y are c files, and must meet the coding standards for this filetype.
> ~jerry

By "this filetype" I assume you mean the C standard. Although these
files contain C code and that code should be written to the C standard,
they are not C files. Each should have its own standard and part of that
standard is: "Where C code appears, it should be written to the C
standard as describe in (reference to C standard documentation)." This
means that standards must be written for flex and bison. Neither is part
of C and cannot be part of its standard. But because C is part of their
files, the C standard must be part of their standards.

To put it in C terms: the flex and bison standards must include the C
standard, not the other way around.

--
__END__

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them."
Aristotle

"Where you find the greatest fear, you find the greatest courage."

BRIAN: You're all individuals!
CROWD: We're all individuals!
LONE VOICE IN THE BACK: I'm not!