use of parrot built source tree in pugs

Beau E. Cox

Feb 3, 2006, 1:18:14 AM2/3/06
to pugs
Hi -

When making pugs, I know that the following env must be
setup to imbed parrot:

export PUGS_EMBED="perl5 parrot"
export PARROT_PATH="/the/parrot/built/source/tree"

Is the parrot source tree only needed for the pugs make?
Can I get rid of it after pugs is sucessfully installed?
Is this question stupid?

--
Aloha => Beau;

Larry Wall

Feb 3, 2006, 12:03:02 PM2/3/06
to pugs
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:18:14PM -1000, Beau E. Cox wrote:
: Hi -

:
: When making pugs, I know that the following env must be
: setup to imbed parrot:
:
: ...
: export PUGS_EMBED="perl5 parrot"
: export PARROT_PATH="/the/parrot/built/source/tree"
: ...
:
: Is the parrot source tree only needed for the pugs make?

Once pugs is made, I believe it only needs libparrot.so for the
embedded parrot. However, if that libparrot.so is only in the parrot
source directory, you're hosed if you remove it, so you need to be
sure to install it.

: Can I get rid of it after pugs is sucessfully installed?

Probably. Several caveats: 1) You have to make sure libparrot.so (or
.dll) is somewhere where it'll link in. 2) I haven't tried removing
the parrot source tree myself, because 3) I find I want to recompile
parrot and pugs pretty much every day just to see what's new.

: Is this question stupid?

Not at all. Though it seems like it would be easier to just test
it than to ask. You don't actually have to remove the parrot source
tree to hide it from pugs, after all. In fact, it's probably easier
to test than the effort I've put in answering here. Fortunately for
you, I am 1) just waiting for my coffee to brew and 2) able to type
in my sleep. :-)

Larry

Beau E. Cox

Feb 3, 2006, 12:19:41 PM2/3/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org, Larry Wall

You are correct - it was easier to test than to ask. And...the asnswer is...
Yes, the tree may be removed as long as parrot is installed. Thanks.

--
Aloha => Beau;