Parrot 0.4.8 Released

Jerry Gay

Jan 16, 2007, 8:06:19 PM1/16/07
to p2, p6c
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 0.4.8,
"Eponymous." Parrot (http://parrotcode.org) is a virtual machine aimed
at running all dynamic languages.

You may now grab Parrot 0.4.8 from the CPAN.

Parrot 0.4.8 News:
- Compilers:
+ HLLCompiler: added tracing options, modified api
+ PGE & TGE bugfixes and updates
- PAST:
+ added global and lexical variable support
+ added looping constructs, arrays, hashes
- Languages:
+ Updated PHP ("Plumhead"), Tcl ("ParTcl"),
forth, perl6, lua, abc, APL, WMLScript, punie
+ ParTcl is passing > 24.9% of Tcl cvs-latest test suite
+ perl6 now supports hashes, arrays, method calls, arity-based
multisubs, quoted terms, ranges (non-lazy), try blocks, $!
- Design:
+ PDD01 "Overview" - updated
+ PDD22 "I/O" - rewritten and approved
- Test Suite:
+ Converted Perl 5 Regex tests to PIR, with notable speedup
+ Added tests for opcodes, compilers, languages, and coding standards
- Build:
+ Major improvements in test coverage for 'pmc2c.pl'
- Misc:
+ many bugfixes, enhancements, and coding standard updates
+ extended support for non-core platforms including Tru64

If you'd like to develop on Parrot (or help develop Parrot itself), we
recommend that you keep up with the latest and best Parrot code by
using Subversion or SVK to access our source code repository; see
instructions at http://parrotcode.org/source.html.

Thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our
sponsors for supporting this project.

Share & Enjoy!
~jerry