I'm pre-hackathoning at OSCON, not post-hackathoning

Chip Salzenberg

Jul 7, 2006, 4:36:06 PM7/7/06
to parrot-...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
I'm unable to hang around Portland after Friday afternoon, I'm sorry to
report, so Saturday hackathoning will miss me. However, I will be arriving
a day _early_ so I'll be in Portland all day Sunday. I understood Patrick
to be in a similar situation, so he might be there Sunday too.
--
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@pobox.com>

Patrick R. Michaud

Jul 10, 2006, 1:39:56 PM7/10/06
to Chip Salzenberg, parrot-...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:36:06PM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> I'm unable to hang around Portland after Friday afternoon, I'm sorry to
> report, so Saturday hackathoning will miss me. However, I will be arriving
> a day _early_ so I'll be in Portland all day Sunday. I understood Patrick
> to be in a similar situation, so he might be there Sunday too.

Yes, I'm now targeting any hackathoning in Portland to occur on
the Sunday before OSCON instead of the Saturday after.

Pm

Jerry Gay

Jul 10, 2006, 1:46:09 PM7/10/06
to Patrick R. Michaud, Chip Salzenberg, parrot-...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org
to be clear, the new parrot-porters portland hackathon date is sunday 23 july.
i've adjusted my schedule to ensure i'll be there for the fun, too.
~jerry

Darren Duncan

Jul 10, 2006, 6:59:23 PM7/10/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org
At 2:24 PM -0500 7/10/06, Andy Lester wrote:

>On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>>Yes, I'm now targeting any hackathoning in Portland to occur on
>>the Sunday before OSCON instead of the Saturday after.
>
>I'll be in Monday afternoon and leaving Friday afternoon so nyeah!

If a virgin car-pool arrangement works out, I will be travelling to
OSCON (for just the no-cost hallway track) on Sunday the 23rd (so
maybe catch the end of a sunday event) and back on Friday the 28th.
I mainly expect to do my hackathoning Monday to Thursday, with
whoever's there. -- Darren Duncan

Patrick R. Michaud

Jul 10, 2006, 7:09:32 PM7/10/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org, parrot-...@perl.org
For those who are interested in doing hackathoning at OSCON,
we're currently planning to do things on Sunday the 23rd.
I'll see if I can find a designated place for us to meet
and work.

However, for those who cannot make it on Sunday, I notice that
Monday and Tuesday at OSCON are primarily dedicated for
tutorial sessions, so people arriving after Sunday and/or
not attending or presenting tutorials can perhaps continue
hacking activities on those days...?

Pm

Chip Salzenberg

Jul 10, 2006, 7:15:31 PM7/10/06
to Patrick R. Michaud, perl6-c...@perl.org, parrot-...@perl.org
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 06:09:32PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> However, for those who cannot make it on Sunday, I notice that Monday and
> Tuesday at OSCON are primarily dedicated for tutorial sessions, so people
> arriving after Sunday and/or not attending or presenting tutorials can
> perhaps continue hacking activities on those days...?

I think it'd be great to maintain a hackathon designated location for those
who are between tutorials, or who like me just show up during tutorial days
for the hell of it. :-)
--
Chip Salzenberg <ch...@pobox.com>

Darren Duncan

Jul 10, 2006, 9:17:12 PM7/10/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org

Barring a better idea, I suggest paying attention to the parallel
"OSCAMP" un-conference, which does or will have space designated for
it in the convention center, Monday to Thursday.

See http://oscamp.org/ .

That web page indicates some specific locations like E141 + E142 as 1
room for monday-tuesday, and D146 for wednesday-thursday. Using a
pipe+curtained section of the exhibit hall was also mentioned.

We could make use of OSCAMP as a venue for hackathoning, as I
wouldn't be surprised if that venue attracts other similar-minded
invididuals, some whom might join with us.

Or if that place becomes too busy, maybe somewhere else.

Watch out for their schedule page though, which while mentioning some
general free events like the Damian's tuesday night event, it doesn't
mention Larry's earlier one, and who wants to miss the Onion?

On a related matter, I highly recommend that those of us at the
conference sign into #perl6 on our portables and leave it open all
the time, so in case we need to locate each other physically
(something I found difficult last year), we could easily ping each
other in the forum for that purpose. Or we could have another IRC
channel for that, but most of us are in #perl6 anyway so I would
think that is easier.

-- Darren Duncan

Allison Randal

Jul 10, 2006, 9:18:30 PM7/10/06
to Chip Salzenberg, Patrick R. Michaud, perl6-c...@perl.org, parrot-...@perl.org
Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> I think it'd be great to maintain a hackathon designated location for those
> who are between tutorials, or who like me just show up during tutorial days
> for the hell of it. :-)

There's a designated room for hackathon/Camp-style sessions inside the
convention center all week long. It's a conference within a conference,
see oscamp.org. The room on Monday and Tuesday is over 2000 sq.ft., so
plenty of room for a Parrot hacking corner.

Allison