Development version

Beau E. Cox

Feb 2, 2006, 6:41:58 AM2/2/06
to pugs
Hi -

Congrats on your 6.2.11 release!

Did the development (svn) version really jump to 6.28.0?

I am running some scripts to automate a refresh of parrot and
pugs weekly so I can stay in tune with the current effort.
To identify my svn downloads by version and revision I:

1) slurp ChangeLog and pull version from /(\d+.\d+\.\d+)/s.
2) get revision from the svn output:
revision=$(tail -n1 svn.log|perl -e ';$_=<>;$r=/rev.*?(\d+)/i ? $1 : "";print
$r') \

Two questions:

1) Are version and revision available in the source tree in a
format easier to use?
2) If not, would the group consider maintaining a VERSION or
VERSION and REVISION files in the root of the tree that
could simply be cat'ed?

--
Aloha => Beau;

Kevin Puetz

Feb 2, 2006, 10:55:21 PM2/2/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org
Beau E. Cox wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Congrats on your 6.2.11 release!
>
> Did the development (svn) version really jump to 6.28.0?

Yes. Major pugs releases are numbered by adding the next digit of 2*pi,
rather than the more conventional x.y+1 :-)

> I am running some scripts to automate a refresh of parrot and
> pugs weekly so I can stay in tune with the current effort.
> To identify my svn downloads by version and revision I:
>
> 1) slurp ChangeLog and pull version from /(\d+.\d+\.\d+)/s.
> 2) get revision from the svn output:
> revision=$(tail -n1 svn.log|perl -e ';$_=<>;$r=/rev.*?(\d+)/i ? $1 :
> "";print $r') \

clever, but ugh.

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Are version and revision available in the source tree in a
> format easier to use?

yes:
VERSION can be parsed from META.yml with any handy YAML parser
e.g. `perl -MYAML -e 'print YAML::LoadFile("META.yml")->{version}'`
REVISION can be gotten with `svnversion .`

> 2) If not, would the group consider maintaining a VERSION or
> VERSION and REVISION files in the root of the tree that
> could simply be cat'ed?

META.yml

Beau E. Cox

Feb 3, 2006, 2:05:08 AM2/3/06
to perl6-c...@perl.org, Kevin Puetz
On Thursday 02 February 2006 05:55 pm, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> Beau E. Cox wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > Congrats on your 6.2.11 release!
> >
> > Did the development (svn) version really jump to 6.28.0?
>
> Yes. Major pugs releases are numbered by adding the next digit of 2*pi,
> rather than the more conventional x.y+1 :-)
>
> > I am running some scripts to automate a refresh of parrot and
> > pugs weekly so I can stay in tune with the current effort.
> > To identify my svn downloads by version and revision I:
> >
> > 1) slurp ChangeLog and pull version from /(\d+.\d+\.\d+)/s.
> > 2) get revision from the svn output:
> > revision=$(tail -n1 svn.log|perl -e ';$_=<>;$r=/rev.*?(\d+)/i ? $1 :
> > "";print $r') \
>
> clever, but ugh.

Yes uuuugggghhhh! That's why I posted ;)

> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1) Are version and revision available in the source tree in a
> > format easier to use?
>
> yes:
> VERSION can be parsed from META.yml with any handy YAML parser
> e.g. `perl -MYAML -e 'print YAML::LoadFile("META.yml")->{version}'`
> REVISION can be gotten with `svnversion .`

Ahem... META version is still 6.2.11...

> > 2) If not, would the group consider maintaining a VERSION or
> > VERSION and REVISION files in the root of the tree that
> > could simply be cat'ed?
>
> META.yml

Many thanks for answering me; do you *ever* sleep? :)

--
Aloha => Beau;