5.005_04 RC2

Leon Brocard

Feb 19, 2004, 9:26:52 AM2/19/04
to perl5-...@perl.org
The monkeys called the place their city, and pretended to despise
the Jungle-People because they lived in the forest. And yet they
never knew what the buildings were made for nor how to use
them. They would sit in circles on the hall of the king's council
chamber, and scratch for fleas and pretend to be men; or they would
run in and out of the roofless houses and collect pieces of plaster
and old bricks in a corner, and forget where they had hidden them,
and fight and cry in scuffling crowds, and then break off to play up
and down the terraces of the king's garden, where they would shake
the rose trees and the oranges in sport to see the fruit and flowers
fall.
The Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling

This is the second release candidate for the fourth maintenance
release of Perl 5.005. Please test this thoroughly and find any issues
before the monkeys return to the tree-tops. It's available at:

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/L/LB/LBROCARD/perl5.005_04-RC2.tar.gz

This release fixes a suidperl security issue and a minor Mac OS X
Jaguar test issue. If there are no serious negative reports, then I
hope to release the real thing in a week. Maybe I'll shake the orange
trees.

Dedicated to Tanja, my monkey.
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
scribot.................................http://www.scribot.com/

... Ethernet: A device for catching the Ether Bunny

Robin Barker

Feb 19, 2004, 11:54:57 AM2/19/04
to Leon Brocard, perl5-...@perl.org
Passed all tests, but tried to send ok and perl.com bounced.

Patch:
perl -i -nwe 's/perlbug\@perl\.com/perlbug\@perl.org/g' * */*

Robin

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/L/LB/LBROCARD/perl5.005_04-RC2.tar.gz

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Teddington, Middlesex, United Kingdom TW11 0LW.

Paul Green

Feb 19, 2004, 4:12:11 PM2/19/04
to perl5-...@perl.org
Works as expected on Stratus VOS. No issues.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Video on request.

Marcus Holland-Moritz

Feb 20, 2004, 1:48:26 PM2/20/04
On 2004-02-19, at 14:26:52 +0000, Leon Brocard wrote:

> The monkeys called the place their city, and pretended to despise
> the Jungle-People because they lived in the forest. And yet they
> never knew what the buildings were made for nor how to use
> them. They would sit in circles on the hall of the king's council
> chamber, and scratch for fleas and pretend to be men; or they would
> run in and out of the roofless houses and collect pieces of plaster
> and old bricks in a corner, and forget where they had hidden them,
> and fight and cry in scuffling crowds, and then break off to play up
> and down the terraces of the king's garden, where they would shake
> the rose trees and the oranges in sport to see the fruit and flowers
> fall.
> The Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling
>
> This is the second release candidate for the fourth maintenance
> release of Perl 5.005. Please test this thoroughly and find any issues
> before the monkeys return to the tree-tops. It's available at:
>
> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/L/LB/LBROCARD/perl5.005_04-RC2.tar.gz
>
> This release fixes a suidperl security issue and a minor Mac OS X
> Jaguar test issue. If there are no serious negative reports, then I
> hope to release the real thing in a week. Maybe I'll shake the orange
> trees.

Win32/MSVC fails one test (lib/db-btree.t) because DB_File.pm
isn't copied to lib/.

Win32/MinGW-gcc is completely broken, but marked as experimental
anyway. (I just set up the environment a couple of days ago.)

Win32/BCC is misconfigured, but this seems fixable. I almost
got it compiled. (Also a brand new environment for me.)

Unfortunately, I cannot look into the above issues before next
week.

Marcus

--
We are Microsoft. Unix is irrelevant. Openness is futile. Prepare
to be assimilated.

Stas Bekman

Feb 21, 2004, 6:08:42 PM2/21/04
to Leon Brocard, perl5-...@perl.org

> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/L/LB/LBROCARD/perl5.005_04-RC2.tar.gz

Installed, trying to get CPAN updates:

cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
Data::Dumper fails to build/install (needed by Bundle::libnet and Bundle::CPAN)
later it gets to the dreaded:

installing http://cpan.perl.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.3.tar.gz

You should be able to reproduce these by running 'install Bundle::CPAN' on the
stock RC2.

mailto:st...@stason.org http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com

Marcus Holland-Moritz

Feb 23, 2004, 10:50:09 AM2/23/04
to Leon Brocard, perl5-...@perl.org
With the attached patch, 5.005_04-RC2 compiles and tests fine on
MSWin32 with:

Microsoft VC 6
Borland C 5.5.1

It should also fix a test failure with lib/db-btree on all platforms
where DB_File isn't built.

Cygwin seems to be broken. At least on my machine running Configure
won't generate a Makefile. I don't know why and I cannot investigate
right now. Any cygwin experts?

Marcus

--
Futurama is brought to you by Thompson's Teeth, the
only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

perl-5.5.4-RC2-win32.diff

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes

Feb 23, 2004, 2:18:25 PM2/23/04
to Marcus Holland-Moritz, Leon Brocard, perl5-...@perl.org
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:50:09PM +0100, Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx-...@gmx.net> wrote:
> With the attached patch, 5.005_04-RC2 compiles and tests fine on
> MSWin32 with:
>
> Microsoft VC 6
> Borland C 5.5.1
>
> It should also fix a test failure with lib/db-btree on all platforms
> where DB_File isn't built.
>
> Cygwin seems to be broken. At least on my machine running Configure
> won't generate a Makefile. I don't know why and I cannot investigate
> right now. Any cygwin experts?

cygwin support was substantially improved *after* 5.005. The code
that's out there in 5.005_04 is for a very old cygwin version and has
many hardcoded paths that need changing. I think Configure doesn't
even detect cygwin and you had to manually direct it to the
cygwin32.sh hints. I'd guess the wrappers in cygwin32/ won't work as
is either.

If you want to work on getting it going, good luck. (Don't forget to
read (and if necessary, update) README.cygwin32.)

H.Merijn Brand

Feb 23, 2004, 5:08:50 PM2/23/04
to Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes, Perl 5 Porters
On Mon 23 Feb 2004 20:18, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <stho...@efn.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:50:09PM +0100, Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx-...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > With the attached patch, 5.005_04-RC2 compiles and tests fine on
> > MSWin32 with:
> >
> > Microsoft VC 6
> > Borland C 5.5.1
> >
> > It should also fix a test failure with lib/db-btree on all platforms
> > where DB_File isn't built.
> >
> > Cygwin seems to be broken. At least on my machine running Configure
> > won't generate a Makefile. I don't know why and I cannot investigate
> > right now. Any cygwin experts?
>
> cygwin support was substantially improved *after* 5.005. The code
> that's out there in 5.005_04 is for a very old cygwin version and has
> many hardcoded paths that need changing. I think Configure doesn't

Leon, you use blead's Configure, don't you?

> even detect cygwin and you had to manually direct it to the
> cygwin32.sh hints. I'd guess the wrappers in cygwin32/ won't work as
> is either.

Have not looked at these for ages. Gerrit mosty supplies us patches :)

> If you want to work on getting it going, good luck. (Don't forget to
> read (and if necessary, update) README.cygwin32.)

--
H.Merijn Brand Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,

Marcus Holland-Moritz

Feb 24, 2004, 1:05:52 AM2/24/04
to H.Merijn Brand, Perl 5 Porters
On 2004-02-23, at 23:08:50 +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> On Mon 23 Feb 2004 20:18, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <stho...@efn.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:50:09PM +0100, Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx-...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > With the attached patch, 5.005_04-RC2 compiles and tests fine on
> > > MSWin32 with:
> > >
> > > Microsoft VC 6
> > > Borland C 5.5.1
> > >
> > > It should also fix a test failure with lib/db-btree on all platforms
> > > where DB_File isn't built.
> > >
> > > Cygwin seems to be broken. At least on my machine running Configure
> > > won't generate a Makefile. I don't know why and I cannot investigate
> > > right now. Any cygwin experts?
> >
> > cygwin support was substantially improved *after* 5.005. The code
> > that's out there in 5.005_04 is for a very old cygwin version and has
> > many hardcoded paths that need changing. I think Configure doesn't
>
> Leon, you use blead's Configure, don't you?

Definitely not:

mhx@r2d2 ~ $ diff perl-current/Configure perl-5.005xx/Configure | wc
23661 97059 612714

> > even detect cygwin and you had to manually direct it to the
> > cygwin32.sh hints. I'd guess the wrappers in cygwin32/ won't work as
> > is either.
>
> Have not looked at these for ages. Gerrit mosty supplies us patches :)
>
> > If you want to work on getting it going, good luck. (Don't forget to
> > read (and if necessary, update) README.cygwin32.)
>
> --
> H.Merijn Brand Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
> using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,
> AIX 4.3, SuSE 8.2, and Win2k. http://www.cmve.net/~merijn/
> http://archives.develooper.com/daily...@perl.org/ per...@perl.org
> send smoke reports to: smokers...@perl.org, QA: http://qa.perl.org

--
Obviously I was either onto something, or on something.
--Larry Wall on the creation of Perl

H.Merijn Brand

Feb 24, 2004, 3:51:49 AM2/24/04
to Marcus Holland-Moritz, Perl 5 Porters
On Tue 24 Feb 2004 07:05, Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx-...@gmx.net> wrote:

> > > cygwin support was substantially improved *after* 5.005. The code
> > > that's out there in 5.005_04 is for a very old cygwin version and has
> > > many hardcoded paths that need changing. I think Configure doesn't
> >
> > Leon, you use blead's Configure, don't you?
>
> Definitely not:
>
> mhx@r2d2 ~ $ diff perl-current/Configure perl-5.005xx/Configure | wc
> 23661 97059 612714

How comfortable would you feel testing with Configure and hints/* from blead?
Yes, indeed, just one-to-one copy.

I might give it a try on 1.5.7 today