5.8.2 RC2

Nicholas Clark

Nov 3, 2003, 2:45:35 PM11/3/03
to perl5-...@perl.org
It's fun to charter an accountant
And sail the wide accountan-cy,
To find, explore the funds offshore
And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.

Accountancy Shanty - Eric Idle/John Du Prez

I was hoping to avoid release candidate two, but there have been a few
significant tweaks since RC1. Notably

0: Jan Dubois has provided a patch to make threaded 5.8.2 binary compatible
with 5.8.0. 5.8.1 accidentally broke binary compatibility with 5.8.0 for
certain threaded functions, and we feel that given the choice of
compatibility with only one, choosing 5.8.0 is the lesser of two evils.

1: Stas Bekman has worked tirelessly to figure out how I broke mod_perl, and
we both think that it's all working now.

2: Dave Mitchell has fixed several more thread sharing leaks.

3: The change to UNIVERSAL has been taken out for now.

4: The caching of failure on %INC needs more work, and is out for now

RC2 actually escaped to CPAN this morning, so it's probably quite
widespread by now:

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.2-RC2.tar.bz2

(or tar.gz if you really want a 25% larger download.)

Unless any show stoppers are reported within the next 48 hours I will weigh
the anchor, and 5.8.2 will be on her way.

And nothing The Very Big Corporation of America can do will stop us. :-)

Nicholas Clark

Stas Bekman

Nov 3, 2003, 3:43:41 PM11/3/03
to Nicholas Clark, perl5-...@perl.org
Nicholas Clark wrote:
> It's fun to charter an accountant
> And sail the wide accountan-cy,
> To find, explore the funds offshore
> And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.
>
> Accountancy Shanty - Eric Idle/John Du Prez
>
> I was hoping to avoid release candidate two, but there have been a few
> significant tweaks since RC1. Notably

[...]

> 1: Stas Bekman has worked tirelessly to figure out how I broke mod_perl, and
> we both think that it's all working now.

I must say that it wasn't Nick who broke mod_perl 2.0, but its only the fault
of mod_perl which gets too deep into the perl guts and uses undocumented APIs,
to get the best (thanks to Doug!) performance possible. So it's us who must
thank Nick, for taking time to help to adjust mod_perl 2.0 guts to work with
5.8.2.

mailto:st...@stason.org http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes

Nov 3, 2003, 10:30:09 PM11/3/03
to Stas Bekman, perl5-...@perl.org
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:43:41PM -0800, Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > It's fun to charter an accountant
> > And sail the wide accountan-cy,
> > To find, explore the funds offshore
> > And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.
> >
> > Accountancy Shanty - Eric Idle/John Du Prez
> >
> >I was hoping to avoid release candidate two, but there have been a few
> >significant tweaks since RC1. Notably
>
> [...]
>
> >1: Stas Bekman has worked tirelessly to figure out how I broke mod_perl,
> >and
> > we both think that it's all working now.
>
> I must say that it wasn't Nick who broke mod_perl 2.0, but its only the
> fault of mod_perl which gets too deep into the perl guts and uses
> undocumented APIs, to get the best (thanks to Doug!) performance possible.
> So it's us who must thank Nick, for taking time to help to adjust mod_perl
> 2.0 guts to work with 5.8.2.

I haven't even so much as glanced at the actual code in question, but
all through this discussion I've wondered: if they have such an
intimate relationship with the perl API, why aren't these lightweight
gvs implemented in the perl core? (complete with tests...)

H.Merijn Brand

Nov 4, 2003, 4:05:29 AM11/4/03
to Nicholas Clark, Perl 5 Porters
On Mon 03 Nov 2003 20:45, Nicholas Clark <ni...@ccl4.org> wrote:
> It's fun to charter an accountant
> And sail the wide accountan-cy,
> To find, explore the funds offshore
> And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.
>
> Accountancy Shanty - Eric Idle/John Du Prez
>
> I was hoping to avoid release candidate two, but there have been a few
> significant tweaks since RC1. Notably
>
> 0: Jan Dubois has provided a patch to make threaded 5.8.2 binary compatible
> with 5.8.0. 5.8.1 accidentally broke binary compatibility with 5.8.0 for
> certain threaded functions, and we feel that given the choice of
> compatibility with only one, choosing 5.8.0 is the lesser of two evils.
>
> 1: Stas Bekman has worked tirelessly to figure out how I broke mod_perl, and
> we both think that it's all working now.
>
> 2: Dave Mitchell has fixed several more thread sharing leaks.
>
> 3: The change to UNIVERSAL has been taken out for now.
>
> 4: The caching of failure on %INC needs more work, and is out for now
>
> RC2 actually escaped to CPAN this morning, so it's probably quite
> widespread by now:
>
> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.2-RC2.tar.bz2

The uploaded file

dor-5.8.2-rc2.diff

has entered CPAN as

file: $CPAN/authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/dor-5.8.2-rc2.diff
size: 381487 bytes
md5: dab5601a5a61a0bb7f3d9fa4022dbd65

--
H.Merijn Brand Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,