5.8.2

1 view

Nicholas Clark

Nov 5, 2003, 6:30:34 PM11/5/03
to perl5-...@perl.org
Passage, immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins!
Away O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers - hall out - shake out every sail!
Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovel'd here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken'd and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only,
Reckless O soul, exploring, I with the and thou with me,
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther farther sail!
O daring job, but safe! are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!

Passage to India - Walt Whitman

Get it while its hot:

http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.gz

coming soon to a CPAN near you:

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.2.tar.gz

md5sums are

a312dd80922b88c6b33b2e1319470a35 perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
fa356b74f99166b63a68a322c3c68f91 perl-5.8.2.tar.gz

If you wish to read the perldelta before it hits CPAN;

http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl582delta.html

(the links won't work there)

Thanks to all. I couldn't have done this on my own.

The use.perl announcement should follow tomorrow evening.

Nicholas Clark

H.Merijn Brand

Nov 6, 2003, 5:51:01 AM11/6/03
to Nicholas Clark, Perl 5 Porters
On Thu 06 Nov 2003 00:30, Nicholas Clark <ni...@ccl4.org> wrote:

> Get it while its hot:
>
> http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
> http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.gz

Congrats!

The uploaded file

dor-5.8.2.diff

has entered CPAN as

file: $CPAN/authors/id/H/HM/HMBRAND/dor-5.8.2.diff
size: 381487 bytes
md5: dab5601a5a61a0bb7f3d9fa4022dbd65

--
H.Merijn Brand Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.0, & 5.9.x, and 806 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,

Dan Kogai

Nov 6, 2003, 6:44:35 AM11/6/03
to Nicholas Clark, perl5-...@perl.org
On Thursday, Nov 6, 2003, at 08:30 Asia/Tokyo, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Get it while its hot:
>
> http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
> http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.gz

Oh my camel! It seems only last night when jhi released 5.8.1.
While I congrats this quick delivery of yours, I have a mixed feeling
on this since Encode remained unchanged. Though there were few places
to fix I have received at least 3 patches which remain uncommitted....

Next time before you $]++, please make sure to whip us, um, me for one,
harder, well, as hard as jhi.

> Thanks to all. I couldn't have done this on my own.

and my profound apology for my procrastination.

perl582delta
> 5.8.3 23:59:59 GMT, Wednesday December 31st 2003

This time I will not miss the deadline.

Dan the Procrastinating Livestock of Yours

Abigail

Nov 6, 2003, 7:52:04 AM11/6/03
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:30:34PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Passage, immediate passage! the blood burns in my veins!
> Away O soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
> Cut the hawsers - hall out - shake out every sail!
> Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
> Have we not grovel'd here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
> Have we not darken'd and dazed ourselves with books long enough?
>
> Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only,
> Reckless O soul, exploring, I with the and thou with me,
> For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
> And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.
>
> O my brave soul!
> O farther farther sail!
> O daring job, but safe! are they not all the seas of God?
> O farther, farther, farther sail!
>
> Passage to India - Walt Whitman

Congrats, Nicholas. And many happy returns.

I'm glad that after a long time, Perl is back on 'release often'
schedule, and that you have the intention is keep it that way.

Abigail

H.Merijn Brand

Nov 6, 2003, 9:01:44 AM11/6/03
to Nicholas Clark, Perl 5 Porters
On Thu 06 Nov 2003 00:30, Nicholas Clark <ni...@ccl4.org> wrote:

Who is responsible for http://perldoc.com/ ? 5.8.1 is missing, and 5.8.2 is
most welcome too I guess

Abigail

Nov 6, 2003, 9:51:23 AM11/6/03
to H.Merijn Brand, Nicholas Clark, Perl 5 Porters
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:01:44PM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> Who is responsible for http://perldoc.com/ ?
> most welcome too I guess

That question is answered on the frontpage:

Website created and maintained by Carlos Ramirez

And the names is a link to Carlos' email address.

The frontpage also says:

Last updated: Sun December 01 02:01:18 PDT 2002

Abigail

Chip Salzenberg

Nov 6, 2003, 10:26:32 AM11/6/03
to Nicholas Clark, perl5-...@perl.org
According to Nicholas Clark:

> For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
> And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

:-) Congrats. And you're doing a great job.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <ch...@pobox.com>
but he stepped in a wormhole and had to go in early." // MST3K

Nicholas Clark

Nov 8, 2003, 6:11:39 AM11/8/03
to Dan Kogai, perl5-...@perl.org
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:44:35PM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:
> On Thursday, Nov 6, 2003, at 08:30 Asia/Tokyo, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> >Get it while its hot:
> >
> > http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.bz2
> > http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.2.tar.gz
>
> Oh my camel! It seems only last night when jhi released 5.8.1.
> While I congrats this quick delivery of yours, I have a mixed feeling
> on this since Encode remained unchanged. Though there were few places
> to fix I have received at least 3 patches which remain uncommitted....

Sorry to catch you unawares. I was assuming that everyone who might need
to know was either reading p5p, or Rafael's summaries.

I also tried to sync everything on CPAN, although I think the last sync
was about a week before release.

> Next time before you $]++, please make sure to whip us, um, me for one,
> harder, well, as hard as jhi.

I fear I might be fairly lazy when it comes to whipping. I'll probably
mail p5p mid December to solicit the last minute patching frenzy.

> >Thanks to all. I couldn't have done this on my own.
>
> and my profound apology for my procrastination.
>
> perl582delta
> >5.8.3 23:59:59 GMT, Wednesday December 31st 2003
>
> This time I will not miss the deadline.

I'd be quite happy to pull Encode from CPAN (in via blead) so that
the version shipped in the core got some testing from users prior to
5.8.3 RC1. That seems better than finding problems in the RC1 and then
rushing to fix them. My approach once I'm into RCs is more likely to back
out troublesome things than attempt to fix them. There will be another
5.8.x along soon.

Nicholas Clark