Perl 5.10.0 is released

Rafael Garcia-Suarez

Dec 18, 2007, 1:11:46 PM12/18/07
to Perl 5 Porters
He would often declare, in speaking his thoughts upon the subject,
that he did not conceive how the greatest family in England could
stand it out against an uninterrupted succession of six or seven
short noses.--And for the contrary reason, he would generally add,
That it must be one of the greatest problems in civil life, where
the same number of long and jolly noses, following one another in a
direct line, did not raise and hoist it up into the best vacancies
in the kingdom.
-- Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
after a five year long development process. It's currently being
mirrored on CPAN.

A more formal announcement will follow via the usual canals.
I'm told a press release is also in the works.

I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
we waited for 5.10.

As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

Enjoy !

Andy Armstrong

Dec 18, 2007, 1:14:55 PM12/18/07
to Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
On 18 Dec 2007, at 18:11, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

Yes! :)

Congratulations and thanks Rafael.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten

Nicholas Clark

Dec 18, 2007, 1:15:35 PM12/18/07
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:11:46PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

First post! A big thanks to Rafael for this.

Get it faster than CPAN: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3938859

but check it carefully:

17:42 <@rgs> file: $CPAN/authors/id/R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz
17:42 <@rgs> size: 15595020 bytes
17:42 <@rgs> md5: d2c39b002ebfd2c3c5dba589365c5a71

Nicholas Clark

Juerd Waalboer

Dec 18, 2007, 1:14:23 PM12/18/07
to perl5-...@perl.org
Rafael Garcia-Suarez skribis 2007-12-18 19:11 (+0100):

> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

They sure are!

Leon has set up a torrent for the final release too:
http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3938859/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz.3938859.TPB.torrent

I'm seeding. Are you?
--
Met vriendelijke groet, Kind regards, Korajn salutojn,

Juerd Waalboer: Perl hacker <#####@juerd.nl> <http://juerd.nl/sig>
Convolution: ICT solutions and consultancy <sa...@convolution.nl>

ism...@pardus.org.tr

Dec 18, 2007, 1:18:43 PM12/18/07
to perl5-...@perl.org
Tuesday 18 December 2007 20:11:46 tarihinde Rafael Garcia-Suarez şunları
yazmıştı:

> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

Congratulations to whole perl5-porters team and to you Rafael!

--
Never learn by your mistakes, if you do you may never dare to try again.

Andy Armstrong

Dec 18, 2007, 1:19:53 PM12/18/07
to Juerd Waalboer, perl5-...@perl.org
On 18 Dec 2007, at 18:14, Juerd Waalboer wrote:
> I'm seeding. Are you?

Am now.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten

ism...@pardus.org.tr

Dec 18, 2007, 1:25:22 PM12/18/07
to Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
Tuesday 18 December 2007 20:15:35 tarihinde Nicholas Clark şunları yazmıştı:

Mirrored @ http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ismail/dist/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz

Regards,
ismail

Marcus Holland-Moritz

Dec 18, 2007, 3:01:00 PM12/18/07
On 2007-12-18, at 19:11:46 +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> He would often declare, in speaking his thoughts upon the subject,
> that he did not conceive how the greatest family in England could
> stand it out against an uninterrupted succession of six or seven
> short noses.--And for the contrary reason, he would generally add,
> That it must be one of the greatest problems in civil life, where
> the same number of long and jolly noses, following one another in a
> direct line, did not raise and hoist it up into the best vacancies
> in the kingdom.
> -- Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy
>
> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

Congratulations and thanks!

> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

Definitely! :-)

Marcus

--
The purpose of Physics 7A is to make the engineers realize that they're
not perfect, and to make the rest of the people realize that they're not

signature.asc

Jimc

Dec 18, 2007, 2:46:50 PM12/18/07
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
> hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
> to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
> we waited for 5.10.
>
> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?
>
> Enjoy !

Its said that success has many fathers..
This baby has hundreds,
A team of dedicated and skilled doctors,
and a happy (and exhausted) mother (its a big baby)

(flogging the metaphor)
Now the community of uncles will shower the baby with gifts.

(and cuz I cant resist - a haiku)
Slap, and the baby squeals
rest briefly, bask in the glow
and now back to work

Thomas Klausner

Dec 18, 2007, 4:18:50 PM12/18/07
to perl5-...@perl.org
Hi!

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:11:46PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

And I'm so lucky to start a new job in Jannuary - we already decided
to use 5.10 !

Thanks to all involved parties for this great piece of software!

--
#!/usr/bin/perl http://domm.plix.at

Dave Mitchell

Dec 18, 2007, 7:19:51 PM12/18/07
to Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:11:46PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

I understand the word of 2007 is woot. So...

woot !

--
"The greatest achievement of the Austrians has been convincing the world
that Hitler was German, and Mozart Austrian."

Dan Kogai

Dec 18, 2007, 10:10:37 PM12/18/07
to Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
rgs,

On Dec 19, 2007, at 03:11 , Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

We made it at last. Thank you so much for midwiving this big baby
for us. And happy 20th birthday, Perl!

> As a personal note, I can't wait to use 5.10 in production. All those
> new features are quite exciting, aren't they?

Now I can literally say

use v5.10.0;
say "$^V is out!"

Dan the Perl Monger

Ask Bjoern Hansen

Dec 19, 2007, 5:10:41 AM12/19/07
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

Whee! So awesome. Thank you! Like many others I too am looking
forward to getting this into production environments.

> A more formal announcement will follow via the usual canals.
> I'm told a press release is also in the works.

I copied it to:

http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2007/perl-5.10.0.html

I added md5 and sha1 sums; please verify.

While doing that I noticed that unlike previous releases we don't have a
.bz2 for this one?

- ask

--
http://develooper.com/

Craig A. Berry

Dec 19, 2007, 8:27:35 AM12/19/07
to Ask Bjoern Hansen, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
On Dec 19, 2007 4:10 AM, Ask Bjoern Hansen <a...@develooper.com> wrote:

I think the sentence that reads, "Don't think that the Perl Porters
are not resting on their laurels" should have the "not" removed.

Andy Lester

Dec 19, 2007, 10:33:37 AM12/19/07
to Ask Bjoern Hansen, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters

I'm not at all done with that. There are changes that will be coming.

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Andy Lester

Dec 19, 2007, 10:36:13 AM12/19/07
to Craig A. Berry, Ask Bjoern Hansen, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters

On Dec 19, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Craig A. Berry wrote:

>> I copied it to:
>>
>> http://dev.perl.org/perl5/news/2007/perl-5.10.0.html
>
> I think the sentence that reads, "Don't think that the Perl Porters
> are not resting on their laurels" should have the "not" removed.

The Official Pick At The Press Release Before I Publish It Worldwide
location is:

http://perlbuzz.com/2007/12/perl-510-now-available.html

xoa

Vadim Vladimirovich ** CTR ** Konovalov

Dec 19, 2007, 4:18:20 AM12/19/07
to Jan Dubois, Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl 5 Porters
> From: Rafael Garcia-Suarez [mailto:rgarci...@gmail.com]

> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

so much thanks!

Let me also express additional gratitude to ActiveState for providing binaries that quick!

This will certainly help us to start using new version at work right now!

With much respect,
Vadim.

Richard Foley

Dec 19, 2007, 4:02:50 AM12/19/07
On Tuesday 18 December 2007 19:11, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> mirrored on CPAN.

Yeehaa!

:-)

Well done, Rafael, everybody!

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/

Alfie John

Dec 19, 2007, 2:47:02 AM12/19/07
to perl5-...@perl.org
> I would like to thank everyone on perl5-porters for their efforts. I
> hope we'll all be proud of what Perl is becoming. And ready to get back
> to the keyboard for 5.12, for which, I hope, we'll not wait as long as
> we waited for 5.10.

Well done and congratulations to the community!

Alfie

Richard Foley

Dec 19, 2007, 12:11:43 PM12/19/07
to perl5-...@perl.org, Rafael Garcia-Suarez
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 19:11, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> >
> > Perl 5.10.0 is now out, the first in the 5.10.x major version series,
> > after a five year long development process. It's currently being
> > mirrored on CPAN.

ps. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Perl Year!

Tels

Dec 19, 2007, 2:31:19 PM12/19/07
to perl5-...@perl.org
Moin,

Happy birthday and a BigThankYouAll! :)

Best wishes,

Tels

PS: New BigInt versions matching 5.10 will go to CPAN tomorrow or so.
Finally :)

--
Signed on Wed Dec 19 20:30:41 2007 with key 0x93B84C15.
View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

This email violates U.S. patent #6,756,999
<http://tinyurl.com/2vuqm>:

[ [ Konsoles* ] [ Mozilla ] [ KMail ]]