perl@25817

Nicholas Clark

Oct 23, 2005, 6:07:48 PM10/23/05
to perl5-...@perl.org
It's time for a maint snapshot.

To be fair, it's somewhat late, as real life keeps getting in the way of
integrating stuff from blead to maint. (I have a plan that I hope will
resolve the last parts of this, but it's not ready to roll out yet).

So heres a maint snapshot, that incorporates a most of what 5.8.8 will be.
In particular, it contains ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.30, which has been on
CPAN for a long time, is stable, and therefore won't throw up any surprises.

http://opensource.fotango.com/~nclark/perl-25817.tar.bz2

(or .gz if you or your toolset prefers a 12M file over a 9瞎 file)

I believe that this snapshot will fail tests on VMS. I hope it will be clean
on Windows, and all flavours of Unix, so reports both of success and of
failure would be appreciated.

I suspect that there will need to be another snapshot in about a week,
incorporating the various remaining things still not integrated, and then
probably 5.8.8 RC1 about a week later. This is a bit behind my original
plan. Sorry.

Nicholas Clark

Richar...@t-online.de

Oct 24, 2005, 1:42:28 AM10/24/05
to Nicholas Clark, perl5-...@perl.org
Better late (and solid) than never ;-)

--
Ciao
Richard Foley

http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rtessentials
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perldebugpr/

To be fair, it's somewhat late, as real life keeps getting in the way of
integrating stuff from blead to maint. (I have a plan that I hope will
resolve the last parts of this, but it's not ready to roll out yet).

So heres a maint snapshot, that incorporates a most of what 5.8.8 will
be.
In particular, it contains ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.30, which has been on
CPAN for a long time, is stable, and therefore won't throw up any
surprises.

 http://opensource.fotango.com/~nclark/perl-25817.tar.bz2

(or .gz if you or your toolset prefers a 12M file over a 9½M file)

Elizabeth Mattijsen

Oct 24, 2005, 7:26:58 AM10/24/05
At 11:07 PM +0100 10/23/05, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>It's time for a maint snapshot.
>
>To be fair, it's somewhat late, as real life keeps getting in the way of
>integrating stuff from blead to maint. (I have a plan that I hope will
>resolve the last parts of this, but it's not ready to roll out yet).
>
>So heres a maint snapshot, that incorporates a most of what 5.8.8 will be.
>In particular, it contains ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.30, which has been on
>CPAN for a long time, is stable, and therefore won't throw up any surprises.
>
> http://opensource.fotango.com/~nclark/perl-25817.tar.bz2
>
>(or .gz if you or your toolset prefers a 12M file over a 9½M file)

>I believe that this snapshot will fail tests on VMS. I hope it will be clean
>on Windows, and all flavours of Unix, so reports both of success and of
>failure would be appreciated.

Successful on OS X Tiger, except for:

lib/locale................................FAILED at test 99

Know locale problem on OS X maybe?

Liz

Rafael Garcia-Suarez

Oct 24, 2005, 7:33:41 AM10/24/05
to perl5-...@perl.org
Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
> Successful on OS X Tiger, except for:
>
> lib/locale................................FAILED at test 99
>

> Know locale problem on OS X maybe?

Yes; the test file says :

# Darwin 8/Mac OS X 10.4 has bad Catalan locales: perl bug #35895,
# Apple bug ID# 4139653. It also has a problem in Byelorussian.

but it's supposed to be skipped. So the skip condition must be
extended. (or maybe is it another different test that fails for
you.)

Dominic Dunlop

Oct 24, 2005, 8:53:53 AM10/24/05
to Rafael Garcia-Suarez, Perl5 Porters, Elizabeth Mattijsen, Nicholas Clark

On 2005–10–24, at 13:33, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
>
>> Successful on OS X Tiger, except for:
>>
>> lib/locale................................FAILED at test 99
>>

>> Know locale problem on OS X maybe?
>>

> Yes; the test file says :

That's the test file in blead; maint has yet to be patched.

> # Darwin 8/Mac OS X 10.4 has bad Catalan locales: perl bug #35895,
> # Apple bug ID# 4139653. It also has a problem in Byelorussian.
>
> but it's supposed to be skipped. So the skip condition must be
> extended. (or maybe is it another different test that fails for
> you.)

In maint snapshot I see

# The following locales
#
# eu_ES eu_ES.ISO8859-1 eu_ES.ISO8859-15 eu_ES.UTF-8
#
# had problems.
#
../lib/locale....FAILED tests 99, 105-106, 108-109, 113, 115

"Solution" (more like sweeping issue under the carpet) is to apply
blead patch 25406 to maint.
--
Dominic Dunlop

Paul Marquess

Oct 26, 2005, 4:29:41 PM10/26/05
to Nicholas Clark, perl5-...@perl.org
A few warnings with this setup. Apart from that it built fine.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005 i686 Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz unknown GNU/Linux
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.4.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long
-enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libunwind-exceptions
--enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
--with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.3 (Mandrakelinux 10.2 3.4.3-7mdk)

`sh cflags "optimize='-g'" gv.o` gv.c
CCCMD = gcc-3.4.3 -DPERL_CORE -c -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -g -Wall
gv.c: In function `Perl_gv_init':
gv.c:164: warning: ignoring return value of `Perl_start_subparse', declared
with attribute warn_unused_result

`sh cflags "optimize='-g'" perly.o` perly.c
CCCMD = gcc-3.4.3 -DPERL_CORE -c -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -g -Wall
perly.y: In function `Perl_yyparse':
perly.y:417: warning: null argument where non-null required (arg 1)

`sh cflags "optimize='-g'" op.o` op.c
CCCMD = gcc-3.4.3 -DPERL_CORE -c -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -g -Wall
op.c: In function `Perl_newCONSTSUB':
op.c:4586: warning: null argument where non-null required (arg 1)

`sh cflags "optimize='-g'" sv.o` sv.c
CCCMD = gcc-3.4.3 -DPERL_CORE -c -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -g -Wall
sv.c: In function `Perl_sv_clear':
sv.c:5284: warning: ignoring return value of `Perl_io_close', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result

`sh cflags "optimize='-g'" opmini.o` -DPERL_EXTERNAL_GLOB opmini.c
CCCMD = gcc-3.4.3 -DPERL_CORE -c -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -g -Wall
opmini.c: In function `Perl_newCONSTSUB':
opmini.c:4586: warning: null argument where non-null required (arg 1)

Chromatic

Nov 1, 2005, 8:48:54 PM11/1/05
On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 23:07 +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> I believe that this snapshot will fail tests on VMS. I hope it will be clean
> on Windows, and all flavours of Unix, so reports both of success and of
> failure would be appreciated.

Everything succeeded on Linux PPC. Test 11 lib/Memoize/t/expmod_t.t
failed with the first 'make test', but succeeded when I ran it by hand
and then with 'make test' again, under less load.

-- c

maint.log

Steve Hay

Nov 2, 2005, 7:38:28 AM11/2/05
Nicholas Clark wrote:
> It's time for a maint snapshot.
[...]
> http://opensource.fotango.com/~nclark/perl-25817.tar.bz2
>
> (or .gz if you or your toolset prefers a 12M file over a 9½M file)

> I believe that this snapshot will fail tests on VMS. I hope it will be clean
> on Windows, and all flavours of Unix, so reports both of success and of
> failure would be appreciated.

I'm a bit late getting here, I know, but it all looks good for me on
Win32 (bar one failure with bcc which is already fixed in blead). I
guess the smokes show that anyway.

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden. Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd. The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.