Perl 6 Microgrants. Now accepting proposals.

Jesse Vincent

Mar 21, 2007, 11:04:29 PM3/21/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org, perl5-...@perl.org
I'm pleased to announce the inaugural Perl 6 Microgrants program.
Best Practical Solutions (my company) has donated USD5,000 to The
Perl Foundation to help support Perl 6 Development. Leon Brocard,
representing The Perl Foundation's grants committee, will work with
me to select proposals and evaluate project success. We'll be making
USD500 grants to worthy Perl 6 related efforts. We're hoping to fund
a range of Perl 6-related projects over the life of the grant
program. Accepted grants might be for coding, documentation, testing
or even writing articles about Perl 6. The program isn't tied to any
one implementation of Perl 6 -- We're interested in seeing proposals
related to Pugs, Perl 6 on Parrot, Perl 6 on Perl 5 or any other Perl
6 implementation. Generally, we're interested in seeing projects
that can be completed in 4-6 calendar weeks.

Submitting a grant proposal
---------------------------

To submit a grant proposal, please email us at perl6-
micro...@perl.org with the following information:

* A two to three paragraph summary of the work you intend to do
* A quick bio - Who are you? Is there opensource work you've done
that we should have a look at?
* A brief description of what "success" will mean for your project -
How will we know you're done?
* Where (if anywhere) you've discussed your project in the past
* Where you'll be blogging about your progress. (Twice-weekly blog
posts are a requirement for getting your grant money)

We'll be accepting proposals on a rolling schedule. We expect to pay
out these first 10 grants over the course of the summer. Depending on
how things go, we'll then either find more money for more grant
programs or we'll wind up the program and move on to other endeavors.

We're really excited to get rolling. Submit your proposals early and
often. Don't let somebody else beat you to the punch ;)

Best,

Jesse

PGP.sig

Tim Bunce

Mar 22, 2007, 9:24:58 AM3/22/07
to Jesse Vincent, perl6-i...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org, perl5-...@perl.org

I'd like to suggest an idea for *someone else* to submit a proposal for:

As part of the work on DBI2 I want to create a Perl API that closely
matches the JDBC API.

I need a tool that can parse the java .h files that that define the JDBC API,
e.g., http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/libjava/java/sql/Statement.h?revision=120621&view=markup
and generate roughly equivalent Perl 6 (roles etc).

Some knowledge of Java would be helpful to get a reasonable initial
mapping of concepts from Java to Perl, but that's bound to evolve over
time - hence the need for a tool to do, and redo, the translation.

[ I'd probably then use the tool to also generate implementation code
that bridges the Perl6 JDBC with the Perl5 JDBC module on CPAN.
That would give Perl6 a working JDBC API.
(The next step might be to parse the Java code of the JDBC test suite
and translate that to Perl6...)
]

There are two parts to this: a Java parser (good enough for at least the
JDBC .h files), and a Perl6 code (role) generator. They could be combined,
but I'd like the Java parser to be reusable by others.

Here's a related idea: write a tool that reads BNF grammar, such as
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/syntax.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/grammars.html
and writes a parser in Perl 6 for that grammar.

Anyone interested in those ideas?

Tim.

p.s. The .h files for JDBC can be found here
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/libjava/java/sql/
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/libjava/javax/sql/

p.p.s. The funding for these could come from the DBI Development fund
(which hasn't been used for anything yet) and so not impact the donation
from Best Practical Solutions.

Jonathan Scott Duff

Mar 22, 2007, 8:59:25 PM3/22/07
to Tim Bunce, Jesse Vincent, perl6-i...@perl.org, perl6-l...@perl.org, perl6-c...@perl.org, perl5-...@perl.org
On 3/22/07, Tim Bunce <Tim....@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest an idea for *someone else* to submit a proposal for:

Heh, hoping for someone with tuits to bite, eh? :-)

As part of the work on DBI2 I want to create a Perl API that closely
> matches the JDBC API.
>
> I need a tool that can parse the java .h files that that define the JDBC
> API,
> e.g.,
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/libjava/java/sql/Statement.h?revision=120621&view=markup
> and generate roughly equivalent Perl 6 (roles etc).

I notice that this file (and all of the others I looked at) say at the top:

// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - it is machine generated -*- c++ -*-

So, perhaps it's not the .h files we should be parsing, but whatever source
files were used to generate them. Though, of course, some C++-to-Perl6 tool
would be a good thing too. :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
perl...@gmail.com

Abigail

Mar 23, 2007, 7:00:50 AM3/23/07
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:53:39PM -0400, Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:24:58PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > Here's a related idea: write a tool that reads BNF grammar, such as
> > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/syntax.html
> > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/grammars.html
> > and writes a parser in Perl 6 for that grammar.
>
> Writing a Perl 6 grammar to parse BNF should not be too hard.

Writing a 5.10 regular expression to parse BNF shouldn't be too hard either.

Abigail