i.263

Compufix

Oct 7, 2006, 8:28:21 AM10/7/06
to perian discussion
There is an OS9 plugin that gives Quicktime support for the older i.263
(older indeo codec) that makes it possible to view streaming i.263
content from video conferences. I will test this to see if it makes it
work, if not, would it be possible to look at the i.263 code and maybe
integrate it into this since I have not been able to find ANY OSX
veriations to make this work.

We partake in Internet II conerences all the time, but the software
used to stream and archive these is using this codec and I get audio
but no video.....would be great to be able to use the streams from
OSX..

Here is progress at http://www.birthday-buzzer.com/other/i263/i263.html
but it is brokern in QT 7. HELPPPPPPPP

Thank you all.

-Mike

Christopher Forsythe

Oct 7, 2006, 5:43:45 PM10/7/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, Compufix
We need some samples to get this to work.

Compufix

Oct 21, 2006, 9:54:38 PM10/21/06
to perian discussion
Sorry....I was getting confused between the forums and the email
posting. Here is a link to what I am trying to view....

http://commonsvcg.oar.net/Internet2/index.php

The quicktime movies are streams (not downloadable) and you will get
audio with no video. If you use OS9 (or Classic) with the Quicktime
plugin mentioned before for OS9, it will work.

That is why I need this plugin to be OSX naitive.

-Mike

Compufix

Oct 21, 2006, 10:01:37 PM10/21/06
to perian discussion
I just tested these from home.....The may not work, as you might need
to be on Internet II to access them.

I will be more than willing to test for you if you would like.

-Mike

Compufix

Nov 1, 2006, 10:23:52 PM11/1/06
to perian discussion

Is there anychance that there is something to test?

David Conrad

Nov 2, 2006, 12:42:56 AM11/2/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

SVN head now has an I.263 decoder, but I doubt it'll work with
streaming files as-is. My school has an Internet2 connection, but
I've been unable to get the streaming .mov files you linked to at
http://commonsvcg.oar.net/Internet2/index.php to work with anything;
is there any Mac OS X program that they work with already?

-David

Mike Perbix

Nov 2, 2006, 8:38:35 PM11/2/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, earlier in the thread I pointed to an OS9 Quicktime component
that DOES work.... I have verified that in Classic that the streams
do play with this component. That is the only help I can give you.

Just out of curiosity, did you get audio, but no video? If so, that
is exactly what is happening.

Thank you all for looking at this.

-Mike

--

It says "'Requires Windows XP or better"
on the box, so I bought a Mac.

Mike Perbix

Nov 2, 2006, 8:41:47 PM11/2/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Just for giggles, here is the link to the OS9 component and source. I
never did try the OSX version found on the internet with QT6.....so I
can't comment on that code, if it works at all. The OS9 one DID work.

http://www.defyne.org/i263/

Chris Forsythe

Nov 2, 2006, 8:59:00 PM11/2/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, mper...@gmail.com
Mike,

It doesn't matter if this OS 9 component/codec does work, what we need
is a viable sample that works. Limiting to internet 2 severely limits
who can test things as well, and even so the one that you linked to in
the first place doesn't work for one of our devs who does have internet
2 access.

Mike, I know you're excited about Perian, but most of us only do this in
our spare time and we don't have the luxury of time. If you can't get us
what we need we can't make it work. Asking us what the status of things
are doesn't help either, getting us what we asked for is.

i.263 is not a priority for 1.0, mkv is. I'm not going to have our devs
expending anymore time on this issue until you provide what has been
requested in a form that can be seen by all developers rather than just
a small subset when we have a much more popular codec that needs work
and is scheduled for 1.0.

As of right now i.263 is supported (due this and other commits:
http://trac.perian.org/changeset/151), and should support everything
that the codec/component you linked to supports, but with no way to test
it then we can't prove that as a fact.

Chris

Christopher Forsythe

Nov 3, 2006, 8:38:30 PM11/3/06
to per...@lmsd.org, perian discussion
I understand your excitement, however without a working sample we can't test it.

Chris

On Nov 3, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Mike Perbix wrote:

of course I understand...and my excitement is showing as of now there is NO solution that works for us....and this would be a major thing....I offer to test anything I can to give it a look.  The Internet 2 thing is the only example I have.....sorry.

  -Mike

gian...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2006, 5:33:20 PM12/3/06
to perian discussion
Christopher Forsythe ha scritto:

> I understand your excitement, however without a working sample we
> can't test it.
>
> Chris

Well, you could just go to te link he provided and grab the links to
the streams, the asf stream:
mms://commonsvcg.oar.net/Internet2/Integrated%20Medicine_1448/Integrated
Medicine_1448.asf
and the qt stream:
rtsp://commonsvcg.oar.net/Internet2/Integrated%20Medicine_1448/Integrated
Medicine_1448.ce

The QT stream doesn't connect to the server, probably because it's
down. The ASF clip connects and streams, but unfortunately doesn't play
neither with MPlayer nor VLC because it says:
"Intel H263 free format not supported"

bye,

giandrea

Mike Perbix

Dec 3, 2006, 8:16:25 PM12/3/06
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Just an fyi...if you try to connect to the rtsp stream with OS9 and the original Plugin from the link I posted....these clips do open and play....

In order to use the mms streams there is a plugin that needs to be installed for Window Media Player (I assume it is the i.263 codec).   I never have been able to get it to open using mplayer or VLC.  If there is a test version available, I would be more than happy to conduct the test.  I would assume thet the rtsp link should have a .mov at the end of the url...I forget exactly how I tested this...I believe I was able to extract the full path before.  I will look at it again from my OSX box and see if I can get an actual working link for testing.

     -Mike