Perian Retirement Notice

Chris Forsythe

May 14, 2012, 5:25:29 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

We've posted a notice of our intent to retire Perian to http://perian.org

--
Chris Forsythe

Matej Knopp

May 14, 2012, 5:30:52 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

while I understand that there is a good reason to cease the
development of video part of Perian (QuickTime being obsolete, imports
limited, etc), isn't there still a potential for the audio part? The
DTS and AC3 CoreAudio plugins are still relevant, aren't they?

-Matej

Chris Forsythe

May 14, 2012, 5:37:44 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
That isn't very interesting, at least to me.

--
Chris Forsythe

Patrick Robertson

May 14, 2012, 6:07:04 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Perian was one of the first apps I ever installed (After Quicksilver...!) 5 years ago when I got my Mac. Since then, multi-codec support has come along way in lots of apps (as well as moving to open source codecs/containers) which is always good.
It's sad to see Perian end it's life, but it's certainly had a good one.

If there's one recommendation I make - it's that you post the source code to GitHub and NOT gCode. Probably the one best thing we did with the Quicksilver codebase was move it from gCode to GitHub. We probably lost a year or two's worth of development time when it was on gCode as nobody really wanted to touch it.
As I'm sure you know (Chris), probably the hardest things for somebody new picking up an old project is figuring it out, so I'd also recommend that enough documentation (or support) be produced for any devs wishing to pick it up (unless you want it to die completely).

Patrick

P.S. I will get to that Growl Feature I said I'd implement at some point... :)

Quicksilver Lead Developer

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Chris Forsythe <> wrote:
Folks,

We've posted a notice of our intent to retire Perian to http://perian.org

--
Chris Forsythe
@The_Tick

Augie Fackler

May 14, 2012, 6:11:14 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

On May 14, 2012 5:08 PM, "Patrick Robertson" <robertso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perian was one of the first apps I ever installed (After Quicksilver...!) 5 years ago when I got my Mac. Since then, multi-codec support has come along way in lots of apps (as well as moving to open source codecs/containers) which is always good.
> It's sad to see Perian end it's life, but it's certainly had a good one
>

> If there's one recommendation I make - it's that you post the source code to GitHub and NOT gCode. Probably the one best thing we did with the Quicksilver codebase was move it from gCode to GitHub. We probably lost a year or two's worth of development time when it was on gCode as nobody really wanted to touch it.

I'm going to make mirrors in several places, including github, but jig's features around subrepos make it somewhat compelling for our dependency needs. Expect to see repositories in both DVCS formats.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/perian-discuss/-/uObuwLs0ZHwJ.

Patrick Robertson

May 14, 2012, 6:25:01 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
>I'm going to make mirrors in several places, including github, but jig's features around subrepos make it somewhat compelling for our dependency needs. Expect to see repositories in both DVCS formats.

Whilst a good idea to have the source available in several places, the main problem with that is fragmenting of the source, versions, developer efforts etc. I know Chris has ample OS experience, as I'm sure you do, so I won't worry too much about it. I'm just hoping you can avoid the shortcomings that fell upon Quicksilver when it was first made open source.

Graham Booker

May 14, 2012, 6:45:04 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Patrick Robertson <robertso...@gmail.com> wrote:
If there's one recommendation I make - it's that you post the source code to GitHub and NOT gCode. Probably the one best thing we did with the Quicksilver codebase was move it from gCode to GitHub. We probably lost a year or two's worth of development time when it was on gCode as nobody really wanted to touch it.

It's important to note this does not have to be an either/or proposition.  Since we are retiring at the same time, there is no "official" repo.  It could be put in multiple locations.  Then, if someone else picks it up later, they have their choice on which DVCS/site they wish to use.

As I'm sure you know (Chris), probably the hardest things for somebody new picking up an old project is figuring it out, so I'd also recommend that enough documentation (or support) be produced for any devs wishing to pick it up (unless you want it to die completely).

We are not wanting it to die; we just don't have the time to continue it.  I wouldn't be the least surprised if we are all still idling in the irc channel years from now.  We will be happy to answer devel questions for the foreseeable future for those picking up the torch; we just have to draw a line on user support at some point.

Augie Fackler

May 14, 2012, 8:07:42 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
For my part, I'll certainly make it work as long as I own a Mac and the skills required to fix are ones I possess. I've just moved on to writing devtools, rather than end-user stuff.

Christopher Forsythe

May 14, 2012, 8:26:10 PM5/14/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Patrick Robertson <robertso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Perian was one of the first apps I ever installed (After Quicksilver...!) 5 years ago when I got my Mac. Since then, multi-codec support has come along way in lots of apps (as well as moving to open source codecs/containers) which is always good.
It's sad to see Perian end it's life, but it's certainly had a good one.

If there's one recommendation I make - it's that you post the source code to GitHub and NOT gCode. Probably the one best thing we did with the Quicksilver codebase was move it from gCode to GitHub.

So regardless of where we put it, you're focusing on what worked for you guys and not on the goals of us putting the source elsewhere. The source for Perian has always been open source. We're just making it a bit easier to find it, without feeling like we need to keep our own vcs up forever.

Switching to a dvcs of any kind is a good step. Mercurial has benefit over git for this specific case. We could move the code to bitbucket for all I care though. Just whatever will host the code for us to provide it for easy access. Git probably doesn't fit that (well, maybe it can) due to subrepos not supporting mercurial subrepos (or whatever git calls those). Other than that, I really don't care where it is so long as it's available and easy to find.

Whatever solution we choose, there will be a link on the website. So that will solve the "easily available" issue. Google Code allows users to clone repos and host them off of the same project, which is beneficial. Github has pull requests. Either way, we'll see the code on one of these sites and that'll be the end of it. :)

Chris

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/perian-discuss/-/uObuwLs0ZHwJ.

Chris Forsythe

Colin McFadden