Subtitles on Front Row on MacOS 10.5 (Leopard)

th.la...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2007, 5:27:30 AM10/25/07
to perian discussion
Hello !

I would like I've noticed a little bug with Perian on Leopard. When
you play a movie with .srt subtitles on Front Row, every time a
subtitle should be on screen, the video become completely black. When
there are not subtitles, the video play well.

This problem appears only on FrontRow, with QuickTime, all works fine.

This problem appears on all builds I tested (9A527, 9A559 and 9A581,
the final one).

And sorry for my bad english, I'm french...

Thank you,

Thomas Lavergne

Chris Forsythe

Oct 25, 2007, 10:24:28 AM10/25/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are unable to discuss 10.5 until it is out. Since this is a
global organization, we'll be waiting until 10.5 is out in every
location that it is going to be released on the 26th, so do not expect a
response until the 27th or 28th realistically.

Chris

autoy

Oct 25, 2007, 9:10:38 PM10/25/07
to perian discussion
Sorry to interrupt but leopard is going to be released worldwide
tomorrow at the same time AFAIK.

On 25 oct, 16:24, Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are unable to discuss 10.5 until it is out. Since this is a
> global organization, we'll be waiting until 10.5 is out in every
> location that it is going to be released on the 26th, so do not expect a
> response until the 27th or 28th realistically.
>
> Chris

Chris Forsythe

Oct 26, 2007, 12:58:07 AM10/26/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
No, it's 6 pm local time. So it increments with each time zone. The
US probably gets it last.

Chris

robert

Oct 26, 2007, 1:04:47 AM10/26/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Officially ships in 3 hours and 56 minutes here in Japan but they
have been selling it for 2 days in some stores.

Alexander Strange

Oct 26, 2007, 1:10:41 AM10/26/07
to perian discussion

On Oct 26, 1:04 am, robert <rockja...@mac.com> wrote:
> Officially ships in 3 hours and 56 minutes here in Japan but they
> have been selling it for 2 days in some stores.

Apple's lists are requesting people not discuss it until 6pm Pacific
tomorrow.

However, not knowing anything about Leopard, it's probably a bug in
Front Row. We don't change any behavior per-app.

Chris Forsythe

Oct 26, 2007, 1:15:36 AM10/26/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Most of the devs are in the US.

Long story short, tomorrow after it's 6 pm on the 26th everywhere. I
don't know if we'll have an answer by tomorrow, but that keeps us
from being sued.

Chris

autoy

Oct 27, 2007, 1:25:47 PM10/27/07
to perian discussion
The problem seems to affect both frontrow and quicklook (which is even
worse).

On 25 oct, 11:27, "th.laver...@gmail.com" <th.laver...@gmail.com>

Alexander Strange

Oct 27, 2007, 1:54:26 PM10/27/07
to perian discussion

On Oct 27, 1:25 pm, autoy <jesusgall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem seems to affect both frontrow and quicklook (which is even
> worse).

Confirmed in FrontRow; it can't handle movie tracks with alpha
anymore, or at least not our kind.
Strangely, when I looked at the sample I had there were edit list
entries, which I thought I'd gotten rid of. Maybe there's a bug in our
MKV demuxer.

Quicklook works fine for me, though. Screenshot?
(It might depend on your video card.)

autoy

Oct 27, 2007, 3:23:38 PM10/27/07
to perian discussion
That doesn't seem to make sense as Frontrow uses quicklook (AFAIK) to
display files. Will try to ulpoad a sample when my own mac is
migrated.

Graham Booker

Oct 27, 2007, 3:35:54 PM10/27/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Front Row shows black screen with the subs (fine up to the
first sub), but Quicklook is perfectly fine with them.

chum...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2007, 1:16:03 PM10/28/07
to perian discussion
Why not think about the native "Closed Captioning" support in QT 7.2?
Many things can be easier, e.g. switching on/off the subtitles, or
maybe switching.

Vincent Noel

Oct 29, 2007, 5:53:07 AM10/29/07
to perian discussion
I am seeing this too - in leopard front row, as soon as the subtitles
kick in, the video goes dark and stays that way, even if the rest of
the video has no subtitles. The sound is still playing fine though.
It's a bummer, since it means that no subtitled video can play in
front row.
The weird part is that it works fine in either quicktime player or
quick look...

Apparently others are seeing this too (in french):
http://forums.macgeneration.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4454268

> smime.p7s
> 4KTélécharger

ewssk

Oct 30, 2007, 5:58:49 AM10/30/07
to perian discussion
Same problem for me with perian/frontrow and leopard :
When a subtitles has to be loaded, the screen becomes black : no more
videos but the sound still continues.
Another probleme is when I play MKV file, video is OK, but sound is
very bad (I can ear the soundtrack, but some noise are over).

Any fix for this problem ?

lexluthor

Oct 31, 2007, 9:31:53 AM10/31/07
to perian discussion

+1 :-(

Aliakin

Nov 2, 2007, 4:31:20 AM11/2/07
to perian discussion
Hi

I have the same problem.
Only fix I found was to use Qucktime Pro or some other video program
to reencode the avi/mov/ect with subtitles into appleTV format.
Then it works perfectly.

Wish someone would get a better way cause the quality is not always so
good.

Alain

autoy

Nov 6, 2007, 3:16:05 AM11/6/07
to perian discussion
Quicktime 7.3 fixes a flaw with Front Row connected to external
screens with Leopard. Previously with a mirrored plasma/lcd screen, FR
would show audio but no video with a video file.

Can anyone check if also subtitle display is fixed with the new QT
update?

On Oct 25, 10:27 am, "th.laver...@gmail.com" <th.laver...@gmail.com>

th.la...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2007, 3:29:00 AM11/6/07
to perian discussion
Problem is the same with the update for me.

Alexander Strange

Nov 6, 2007, 3:30:13 AM11/6/07
to perian discussion

On Nov 6, 3:16 am, autoy <jesusgall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quicktime 7.3 fixes a flaw with Front Row connected to external
> screens with Leopard. Previously with a mirrored plasma/lcd screen, FR
> would show audio but no video with a video file.
>
> Can anyone check if also subtitle display is fixed with the new QT
> update?

It's still there in 7.3. One of my UI bugs is now differently wrong,
but the rest are just totally unchanged...

Actually, I just saw another UI weirdness; the window title for one of
my MKVs is being set to the active text track's title. I think that
one might be new.

autoy

Nov 15, 2007, 8:10:23 PM11/15/07
to perian discussion
Any news on the 10.5.1 front?

frf...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2007, 4:56:33 PM11/19/07
to perian discussion
I've up'ed to 10.5.1 still no image when the subs start. I do see subs
in the frame grab that FR uses for cover art. As above have stated -
can use QT to play the file with subs no problem there...

Nico

Nov 21, 2007, 5:24:15 AM11/21/07
to perian discussion
I have the same problem too...

The only way is encode the video in AppleTV format : 30mins for a
300Mo vid size.

AppleTv(m4v) format is not great be cause the file size is 20-30%
greater than the divx size...

sjogro

Nov 27, 2007, 3:54:01 PM11/27/07
to perian discussion
me too. will this be fixed in Perian 1.1 ? or is it not a
compatibility problem, more an Apple problem?

[[dbalieiro]]

Dec 8, 2007, 6:36:22 AM12/8/07
to perian discussion
[>][same here]
[>][using VLC media player [ http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ] ][ last
version working very fast with Leopard New Features and Remote
Controler]

@[[dbalieiro.org]]

Nico

Dec 11, 2007, 5:34:33 PM12/11/07
to perian discussion
I managed to see the subtitles but it's not that great.

I convert the .srt file into "quicktime text" with TitleLab.
Then I import the .txt quicktime text (with Edit>add to movie).
With the Movie poperties pannel, I tried to edit the layer text, with
visual configuration". There are someoptions, but I can't fond a good
way to integrate the subtitles, with a full alpha...

But this way, Front Row displayed the subtitles.

[[dbalieiro]]

Dec 12, 2007, 3:38:47 AM12/12/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
[>][and a good way to do that to thousands of files with multi
languages srt? ][ That's is not grat, that's terrible!!]
[>][please guys of Apple & VLC, exchange ideas to make the solution!!!]

[[dbalieiro]]
@[[dbalieiro]]

Chris Forsythe

Dec 12, 2007, 12:11:49 PM12/12/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
This is not the vlc list. This is not a way to contact apple for
support. Please keep everything on topic, specifically about Perian.

Chris

[[dbalieiro]]

Dec 12, 2007, 12:26:55 PM12/12/07
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
[>][man!!]
[>][sorry!]
[>][it's just a joke]
@[[dbalieiro]]

cen...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2007, 4:10:34 PM12/31/07
to perian discussion
It's not working for me either...
hoping someone answers this thread with a solution

jdo

Jan 15, 2008, 4:42:53 PM1/15/08
to perian discussion
Hi,
I just upgraded to the new front row available since today and the
problem it's not solved. :(
I don't know why don't they manage to solve this issue.