DUKES - THE FACTS!

Richard R

Jan 4, 2009, 12:35:47 PM1/4/09
to Peerage News
Below is some analysis of the current 28 holders of dukedoms and their
families. It was initially undertaken for my own reference but I’ve
decided it’s now sufficiently advanced to share with the rest of the
group. Not least because I’m aware there are bound to be errors
lurking in the information and it is both healthy and useful to
subject it to ‘peer review’. I hope also hope it will be useful as a
quick fact checker for the rest of the group. I’m close to completing
a similar analysis for current 34 holders of marquessates. I’ve also
collected the information for all 196 earls (incl disclaimed Selkirk
and yet to be established Ormonde & Ossory) and 114 viscounts but am
some way off completing the analysis for those degrees.

I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS POST BUT HOPE COLLEAGUES
WILL FIND THE INFORMATION USEFUL!

The following information covers the 28 men who currently hold
dukedoms. Three people hold more than one dukedom (Buccleuch &
Queensberry, Hamilton & Brandon and Richmond, Lennox & Gordon). I’ve
shown the other titles in the list of dukedoms in order of precedence
but all the other analysis refers to the 28 people rather than 32
dukedoms. I have not included the titles held by The Prince of Wales
as they are in a special category of their own.

I think it’s worth noting that the Duke of St Albans’ heir has
discontinued the use of his courtesy style and it prompts me to wonder
if this is a precedent for future dukes’ heirs (either of this title
or others) to follow. It may follow that he will not use the ducal
title when he inherits which, again, would be another precedent as far
as dukes are concerned.

DUKEDOM CREATIONS IN ORDER OF PRECEDENCE - BY COUNTRY & DATE
Dukes of England in order of creation (10 titles)
1514 Norfolk
1547 Somerset
1675 Richmond (9 Aug)
1675 Grafton (11 Sept)
1682 Beaufort
1684 St Albans
1694 Bedford (11 May)*
1694 Devonshire (12 May)*
1702 Marlborough
1703 Rutland
* Five English dukedoms were cr in the space of 15 days in 1694. The
others were Shrewsbury on 30 April, Leeds on 4 May & Newcastle on 14
May.

Dukes of Scotland in order of creation (8 titles)
1643 Hamilton
1663 Buccleuch
(1675 Lennox held by Richmond in English list)
(1684 Queensberry held by Buccleuch above in this Scottish list)
1701 Argyll
1703 Atholl
1707 Montrose (24 April)
1707 Roxburghe (25 April)

Dukes of Great Britain in order of creation (3 titles)
(1711 Brandon held by Hamilton above under the Scottish list)
1719 Manchester
1766 Northumberland

Dukes of the United Kingdom in order of creation (9 titles)
1814 Wellington
1833 Sutherland
1874 Westminster
(1876 Gordon held by Richmond above under the English list)
1900 Fife
1928 Gloucester
1934 Kent
1947 Edinburgh
1986 York

Dukes of Ireland in order of creation (2 titles)
1766 Leinster
1868 Abercorn

DUKES BY SENIORITY OF AGE
1915 Wellington (oldest duke)
1919 Grafton
1921 Edinburgh
1926 Marlborough
1928 Beaufort
1929 Atholl (19 Jan)
1929 Richmond (19 Sept)
1929 Fife (23 Sept)
1934 Abercorn
1935 Montrose (6 April)
1935 Kent (9 Oct)
1938 Hamilton
1939 Saint Albans
1940 Sutherland
1944 Devonshire (27 April)
1944 Gloucester (26 Aug)
1948 Leinster
1951 Westminster
1952 Somerset
1954 Buccleuch (14 Feb)
1954 Roxburghe (18 Nov)
1956 Northumberland (16 Nov)
1956 Norfolk (2 Dec)
1959 Rutland
1960 York
1962 Bedford (30 March)
1962 Manchester (11 Dec)
1968 Argyll (youngest duke)

DUKES RANKED BY SENIORITY OF SUCCESSION TO TITLE
1942 Kent
1947 Edinburgh
1959 Fife
1970 Grafton
1972 Wellington (4 Jan)
1972 Marlborough (11 March)
1973 Hamilton
1974 Gloucester (10 June)
1974 Roxburghe (26 Sept)
1979 Westminster (19 Feb)
1979 Abercorn (4 June)
1984 Beaufort (5 Feb)
1984 Somerset (15 Nov)
1986 York
1988 St Albans
1989 Richmond, Lennox & Gordon
1992 Montrose
1995 Northumberland
1996 Atholl
1999 Rutland
2000 Sutherland
2001 Argyll
2002 Manchester
2002 Norfolk
2003 Bedford
2004 Devonshire (3 May)
2004 Leinster (3 Dec)
2007 Buccleuch & Queensberry

M A R R I A G E D A T A

FIVE LONGEST MARRIED
1944 Wellington
1946 Grafton
1947 Edinburgh
1951 Richmond
1956 Atholl
Note: Beaufort m1 1950, Fife m 1956 and Marlborough m1 1951. None
appear on the above list as these marriages did not survive for more
than fifty years.

SIX SHORTEST MARRIED
2008 Marlborough [4th m]
2007 Manchester [2nd m]
2002 Argyll [June]
2002 St Albans [Dec - 3rd m]
2000 Beaufort [June - 2nd m]
2000 Bedford [Oct]

MOST MARRIED
4 marriages – Marlborough
3 marriages – Hamilton and St Albans
2 marriages – Beaufort, Manchester and Roxburghe
1 marriage – the 22 other dukes

DIVORCED
Fife and York

WIDOWED
No duke is currently widowed.

C H I L D R E N
Note: All the dukes have children. The only dukes with no living son
are Leinster & York. Leinster’s only son (b 1974 and styled Earl of
Offaly as his father did not succeed to the dukedom until 2004) died
in a motor accident in 1997.

NUMBER OF SONS
4 sons – Wellington
3 sons – Beaufort, Edinburgh, Norfolk & Roxburghe
2 sons – Abercorn, Argyll, Atholl, Buccleuch, Grafton, Hamilton, Kent,
Marlborough, Montrose, Northumberland, Rutland, Somerset and
Sutherland.
1 son – Bedford, Devonshire, Fife, Gloucester, Leinster (1s deceased),
Manchester, Richmond, St Albans and Westminster.
0 son – York

NUMBER OF DAUS
3 daus – Grafton, Rutland & Westminster
2 daus – Buccleuch, Devonshire, Gloucester, Hamilton, Leinster,
Marlborough, Norfolk, Northumberland, Richmond, Roxburghe, Somerset
and York.
1 dau – Abercorn, Argyll, Atholl, Beaufort, Bedford, Edinburgh, Fife,
Kent, Manchester, Montrose, St Albans and Wellington
0 dau – Sutherland

TOTAL NUMBER OF CHILDREN
5 (4s 1d) – Wellington
5 (3s 2d) – Norfolk & Roxburghe
5 (2s 3d) – Grafton & Rutland
4 (3s 1d) – Beaufort & Edinburgh
4 (2s 2d) – Buccleuch, Hamilton, Marlborough, Northumberland and
Somerset
4 (1s 3d) – Westminster
3 (2s 1d) – Abercorn, Argyll, Atholl, Kent, Montrose,
3 (1s 2d) – Devonshire, Gloucester, Leinster (incl 1s deceased),
Richmond (+ 2d adopted)
2 (2s) – Sutherland
2 (1s 1d) – Bedford, Fife, Manchester, St Albans
2 (2d) – York

S U C C E S S I O N

DIRECT HEIRS IN LINE
No duke has 3 direct heirs in line although it’s noted that
Wellington’s grandson has been married since 2005.
12 dukes have 2 direct heirs in line (ie the ha and a grandson) –
Abercorn, Atholl, Beaufort, Edinburgh, Fife, Gloucester, Grafton,
Kent, Marlborough, Richmond, St Albans & Wellington.
14 dukes have an heir apparent in line – Argyll, Bedford, Buccleuch,
Devonshire, Hamilton, Manchester, Montrose, Norfolk, Northumberland,
Roxburghe, Rutland, Somerset, Sutherland and Westminster.
The Duke of Leinster’s brother is the hp to the dukedom
The Duke of York has no heir to the dukedom

DUKES WHO HAVE FIVE HEIRS OR FEWER IN LINE OF SUCCESSION
FIFE has four heirs, three of them are grandsons and minors and may
eventually marry and have issue. Fife’s other male heirs are in line
to the Earldom of Southesk (cr S 1633). GLOUCESTER’S two heirs are his
son and grandson (b 2007) and may well be expected to produce more
heirs. Similarly, KENT’S two grandsons (born in 1988 and 2007) may
well eventually produce heirs. LEINSTER’S only son died unmarried in
1997. Of his other heirs, his nephew Edward was born in 1988 and is
unmarried. There are no obvious heirs to the earldom of Kildare (cr I
1316) but some may conceivably exist. WESTMINSTER’S only heir is his
teenage son Lord Grosvenor. After that, the heir to the marquessate
and other titles is the Earl of Wilton (who was Baron Ebury before
succeeding his cousin as Earl). The Duke of York has no heir.

COURTESY TITLES OF HEIRS APPARENT
The following is a list of the courtesy styles used by heirs apparent.
In each case, the name of the title is given with the corresponding
ducal title in parenthesis. After that, birth year is given, followed
by marital status and any children were applicable. It’s noted that
Lords Douglas & Clydesdale (b 1978), Bowmont & Cessford (b 1981),
Dalkeith (b 1984), Arundel & Surrey (b 1987) and Percy (b 1984) are
unmarried. Lord Tullibardine is divorced with 2s 1d and the ha
formerly known as the Earl of Burford is divorced with 1s.
A minor, for this purpose, is anyone under the age of 21.

HAs WHO ARE MARQUESSES BY COURTESY [12 in use out of a possible 14]
Hamilton (Abercorn) b 1969 m 2004 2s
Lorne (Argyll) b 2004 minor
Tullibardine (Atholl) b 1960 div 2s 1d
Worcester (Beaufort) b 1952 m 1987 2s 1d
Tavistock (Bedford) b 2005 minor
[Hartington – title usually used by Devonshire heirs. The current ha
continues to use the style Earl of Burlington and is listed with the
earls below]
Douglas & Clydesdale (Hamilton) b 1978 unm
[Kildare – title used by ha to duke of Leinster. No ha at present.]
Blandford (Marlborough) b 1955 m 1990 & 2002 2s 1d
Graham (Montrose) b 1973 m 2004 no issue
Bowmont & Cessford (Roxburghe) b 1981 unm
Granby (Rutland) b 1999 minor
Stafford (Sutherland) b 1975 m 2007 no issue
Douro (Wellington) b 1945 m 1977 2s 3d

HAs WHO ARE EARLS BY COURTESY [10 in use out of a possible 11,
including the temporary use of Burlington]
Dalkeith (Buccleuch) b 1984 unm
Burlington (Devonshire) b 1969 m 2007 no issue [may revert to
traditional use of Hartington marquessate on the birth of a son &
heir?]
Southesk (Fife) b 1961 m 1987 3s
Ulster (Gloucester) b 1974 m 2002 1s
Euston (Grafton) b 1947 m 1972 1s 4d
St Andrews (Kent) b 1962 m 1988 1s 2d
Arundel & Surrey (Norfolk) b 1987 unm
Percy (Northumberland) b 1984 unm
March & Kinrara (Richmond) b 1955 m 1976 & 1991 3s 2d
[Burford – St Albans’ ha discontinued the use of his style in 2000. He
was b 1965 and is div with 1s]
Grosvenor (Westminster) b 1991 minor

HA WHO IS STYLED VISCOUNT BY COURTESY
Mandeville (Manchester) b 1993 minor

HA WHO IS STYLED BARON BY COURTESY
Seymour (Somerset) b 1982 m 2006 no issue

OTHER HAs NOT DEALT WITH ABOVE
The Prince of Wales is not styled Earl of Merioneth for obvious
reasons.

COURTESY TITLES OF 2nd HEIR IN DIRECT LINE
The following is a list of the courtesy styles used by the heirs of
the heirs apparent. In each case, the name of the title is given with
the corresponding ducal title in parenthesis. After that, birth year
is given, followed by marital status and any children were applicable.
Lord Mornington is the only grandson of a duke who is married. He has
no issue. It’s noted that Prince William of Wales (b 1982) and Lords
Strathtay & Strathardle (b 1985) and Ipswich (b 1978) are unmarried.
A minor, for this purpose, is anyone under the age of 21.

HEIRS OF HAs WHO ARE EARLS BY COURTESY [4 in use]
Strathtay & Strathardle (Atholl) b 1985 unm
Glamorgan (Beaufort) b 1989 minor
Sunderland (Marlborough) b 1992 minor
Mornington (Wellington) b 1978 m 2005 no issue

HEIRS OF HAs WHO ARE VISCOUNTS BY COURTESY [2 in use]
Strabane (Abercorn) b 2005 minor
Ipswich (Grafton) b 1978 unm

HEIRS OF HAs WHO ARE BARONS BY COURTESY [4 in use out of a possible 5]
Carnegie (Fife) b 1989 minor
Culloden (Gloucester) b 2007 minor
Downpatrick (Kent) b 1988 minor
Settrington (Richmond) b 1994 minor
[Vere of Hanworth – St Alban’s grandson does not use his style. He was
b 1995 and is a minor]

OTHER HEIRS OF HAs NOT DEALT WITH ABOVE
Prince William of Wales (b 1982 unm) is not styled Baron Greenwich for
obvious reasons.

bx...@yahoo.com

Jan 4, 2009, 1:36:18 PM1/4/09
to Peerage News
Richard, excellent job! very informative! I really enjoyed reading
your post.

Thanks for sharing!

Brooke

George Knighton

Jan 5, 2009, 9:26:48 AM1/5/09
to Peerage News
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. I am sure that
people will be referring to your information for some time to come.

ccz...@gwmail.nottingham.ac.uk

Jan 5, 2009, 9:31:58 AM1/5/09
to Peerage News
On Jan 5, 2:26 pm, George Knighton <georgeknigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.  I am sure that
> people will be referring to your information for some time to come.

It's so good that I wonder whether anyone has the time to treat the
other four ranks (also baronets) similarly?

marquess

Jan 5, 2009, 9:58:48 AM1/5/09
to Peerage News
Marquisates perhaps!

On 5 Jan, 02:31, "ccz...@googlemail.com"

Richard R

Jan 5, 2009, 12:02:39 PM1/5/09
to Peerage News
Well, you're all so engrossed with the detail that you're not reading
the first para! You'll see I'm almost ready to post the info for the
34 marquesses (a matter of days if not hours). I have all the info for
196 earls and 114 viscounts but I'm probably many days away from
analysing it for posting. So watch this space! Thanks for your kind
remarks so far. Do let me know if you spot any howlers!

On 5 Jan, 14:31, "ccz...@googlemail.com"

Pat

Jan 6, 2009, 6:50:18 PM1/6/09
to Peerage News
Very interesting post. However, I am surprised to see that you have
included Kent and Fife in your list of dukes with five or less heirs
as both have six. Kent has two sons, two grandsons, a brother and a
nephew and although Fife has only four male heirs the title can be
passed through the female line - the current duke having inherited
from his aunt - so his heirs include his daughter and granddaughter.
> > other four ranks (also baronets) similarly?- Hide quoted text -

Michael Rhodes

Jan 6, 2009, 7:03:22 PM1/6/09
to Peerage News

On 6 Jan, 23:50, Pat <pmhi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting post. However, I am surprised to see that you have
> included Kent and Fife in your list of dukes with five or less heirs
> as both have six. Kent has two sons, two grandsons, a brother and a
> nephew and although Fife has only four male heirs the title can be
> passed through the female line - the current duke having inherited
> from his aunt - so his heirs include his daughter and granddaughter.

Not so. The Letters Patent (of 1900) are with remainder to the heirs
male
of the body of the first Duke of Fife by his marriage with HRH
Princess Louise and in
default of such issue (1) to their eldest dau, Princess Alexandra,
and her heirs MALE, (2)
in default of such issue to their yr dau Princess Maud, and her heirs
MALE, and
(3) in default of such issue to each of the after-born daughters by
HRH Princess Louise
and the heirs male of the body and respective bodies of such
daughters severally and
successively, one after another, as they shall be in seniority of age
and priority of birth....

===

Craigy

Jan 6, 2009, 10:06:15 PM1/6/09
to Peerage News
Thanks a lot. Excellent work!
> Grosvenor (Westminster) ...
>
> read more »

Richard R

Jan 7, 2009, 2:44:24 AM1/7/09
to Peerage News
Thanks for the feedback, all very useful.
Don't be surprised Pat, just down to human error I'm afraid and a
perfect example of why I've posted this info to pick up glaring errors
such as this. Of course I know of the existence of Mikey & Freddie
Windsor. But you can stare and stare at these things before pressing
send and still not pick up the blindingly obvious.
Or I should say error, not errors, as Fife is quite correct and the
special remainder allowed transmission through the first generation of
females only, and then to males only after that. It's similar to the
perhaps better known Mountbatten of Burma earldom creation, where the
remainder was to the 1st earl's 2 daus and then to the daus male heirs
only.
I'll try to do better next time, honest!

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

The Single Peer

Feb 13, 2011, 6:02:51 PM2/13/11
to peerag...@googlegroups.com, Peerage News

Project Royal Romance - Prince Andrew's Competition

Suitors of HRH Prince Andrew's rank and esteem are few and far between.  If one discounts his royal nephews, one of whom we know is soon to be wed, what competition would the Duke of York (50, divorced) face, should he take up a romantic campaign?

Interestingly, the only elite competitors would likely be The Duke of Wellington (95, widowed) and The Duke of Fife (81, divorced).  Read more at

http://thesinglepeer.blogspot.com/2010/12/2010-peer-of-year-arthur-valerian.html

pyvery

Feb 14, 2011, 2:11:34 PM2/14/11
to Peerage News
Since the original posting

Wellington has become a widower

Devonshire's heir has an heir known as lord cavendish

Hamilton has died being succeeded by an engaged heir

Grafton's heir died and the new heir still known as Ipswich has
married

Roxburghe's heir is engaged

Ulster now has a daughter

Stafford has two daughters.

On Feb 13, 11:02 pm, The Single Peer <thesinglep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Project Royal Romance - Prince Andrew's Competition *
>
> Suitors of HRH Prince Andrew's rank and esteem are few and far between.  If
> one discounts his royal nephews, one of whom we know is soon to be wed, what
> competition would the Duke of York (50, divorced) face, should he take up a
> romantic campaign?
>
> Interestingly, the only elite competitors would likely be The Duke of
> Wellington (95, widowed) and The Duke of Fife (81, divorced).  Read more at
>
> http://thesinglepeer.blogspot.com/2010/12/2010-peer-of-year-arthur-va...

Pat

Feb 15, 2011, 9:22:29 AM2/15/11
to Peerage News
Just goes to show how quickly even the latest edition of Debretts
becomes out of date