Oldest Duke Ever..

Turenne

Nov 2, 2010, 3:59:40 PM11/2/10
to Peerage News
Does anyone know who the oldest duke was/is. The 8th and 9th Dukes of
Portland were both over 90, as was the 8th Duke of Leinster. The 1st
Duke of Connaught and Strathearn was 92 and the 8th Duke of Wellington
95....Any advance on 95?

Richard L

marquess

Nov 2, 2010, 6:37:02 PM11/2/10
to Peerage News
I doubt that you will find one over 95!

Pat

Nov 2, 2010, 7:28:10 PM11/2/10
to Peerage News
The 7th Duke of Grafton was 97 and the current duke is 91
> > Richard L- Hide quoted text -

marquess

Nov 3, 2010, 3:44:51 AM11/3/10
to Peerage News
Well I stand corrected, now is there any duke who has lived beyond
the age of 97?

Richard R

Nov 3, 2010, 7:01:05 AM11/3/10
to Peerage News
It's entirely possible we'll get our first centenarian duke in a few
years!

Michael Rhodes

Jul 3, 2014, 6:02:42 AM7/3/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
The Duke of Wellington recently celebrated his 99th birthday, and is now in his 100th year.

Pat

Jul 3, 2014, 11:42:23 AM7/3/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
I think by current Duke of Grafton you mean the 11th duke who died in 2011 as the current holder of the title was born in 1978.

Michael Rhodes

Jul 3, 2014, 1:47:06 PM7/3/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
The 11th Duke of Grafton was still with us when this topic was started in 2010 ------

malcolm davies

Jul 3, 2014, 6:06:21 PM7/3/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
I posted on this topic on 17 December 2012.For convenience my post is reproduced below:
"On the 15th December the 8th Duke of Wellington recorded a milestone-he became the longest living Duke in the history of the peerage.The previous holder of that distinction was the 7th Duke of Grafton who died in 1918(great great great grandfather of the present Duke).
There have been 9 Dukes who have lived to the age of 90 or older:-
 8th Duke of Wellington  97y5m15d
 7th Duke of Grafton 97y5m12d
 9th Duke of Portland 93y
 8th Duke of Portland 92y
 11th Duke of Grafton 92y
 HRH 1st Duke of Connaught 91y
 HRH the Duke of Edinburgh 91y
 9th Duke of Norfolk 90y
 8th Duke of Leinster 90y

 Note that at the end of February,the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Connaught will swap places and the Duke will become the oldest ever living male in the Royal Family.
 Other miscellany:-
 The 8th Duke of Wellington is the oldest ever male member of the Order of the Garter,the previous holder of that title being the Earl of Longford.
 No Marquess has reached the age of 100-the oldest was the 16th Marquess of Winchester who died age 99.
 There have been centenarians in the other grades of the peerage-details can be found at Leigh Rayments peerage page."

 Since then the following things have happened:
 The 8th Duke of Wellington celebrated his 99th birthday on 2 July.If he is still alive on 1 March 2015 he will become the eldest ever marquess surpassing the 16th Marquess of Winchester,in his capacity as Marquess of Wellington that title being created in 1812
 The Duke of Edinburgh celebrated his 93rd birthday on 10 June and is now the oldest ever living male member of the Royal Family(but not of Queen Victoria's male descendants which is the late Count Carl Bernadotte who died in 2012 aged 93 years 6months 5 days,a record the Duke of Edinburgh will surpass on 16 December 2014)