Lord William James Bingham Compton (1947-2007)

Michael Rhodes

Jul 20, 2007, 9:00:49 PM7/20/07
to Peerage News
Lord William James Bingham Compton. b 1947, yr son of the 6th Marquess
of Northampton (1885-1978), by his 2nd wife Virginia; m 1973 (now
deceased), Marlene, dau of the late Francis Hosie, by whom he had one
son and 1 dau, m 2ndly, Sarah ?; he died 17 July, 2007, aged 59. He
leaves a son, from the 1st marriage, James Wm, and a daughter from the
1st marriage, Clare Victoria Frances, and grandchildren, Abigail, Gigi
and Eleonor and step-children Lucy, Emily and Harry.

Michael Rhodes

=======

bx...@yahoo.com

Jul 22, 2007, 12:34:26 PM7/22/07
to Peerage News
The reference books show his second wife (now widow) as having been
"Mrs. Sarah Langdale" prior to the marriage."

Brooke

On Jul 20, 9:00?pm, Michael Rhodes <migx73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Turenne

Jul 22, 2007, 4:06:46 PM7/22/07
to Peerage News
Whilst idly looking up the Comptons, I came across Catherine Compton,
Baroness Arden of Lohort Castle who was born on 4 June 1731 and died
on 11 June 1784 at age 53. The peerage was created suo jure, in the
peerage of Ireland in 1770. Anyone any idea why?

Richard Lichten

marquess

Jul 23, 2007, 2:37:11 AM7/23/07
to Peerage News
Neither of the Compton cousins have managed to produce a male heir
between them, earl compton has two daughers and Lord William's son
girls too, perhaps the Marquisate will pass to the Newby Hall branch
of the family, who seem to be doing well and the two compton seats end
up with the girls?

On 20 Jul, 13:00, Michael Rhodes <migx73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Michael Rhodes

Jul 23, 2007, 10:57:14 AM7/23/07
to Peerage News

On 23 Jul, 07:37, marquess <marquessmarqu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Neither of the Compton cousins have managed to produce a male heir
> between them, earl compton has two daughers and Lord William's son
> girls too, perhaps the Marquisate will pass to the Newby Hall branch
> of the family, who seem to be doing well and the two compton seats end
> up with the girls?

The elder son of Robin Compton, of Newby, is heir to his uncle, Alwyne
Farquharson of Invercauld, and the chieftainship of that clan, and
will probably assume the surname of Farquharson when he succeeds.
Robin Compton's 2nd son is now running Newby Hall.

marquess

Jul 24, 2007, 7:41:49 PM7/24/07
to Peerage News
Michael do you know what the acerage is for the Newby Hally property,
and what the acerage is for the scottish Farquhason? I think that the
latter is quite large? Also I notice that the marquess, who according
to the Times Rich list of 2006 has 25,000 acres in Warkwickshire and
the Midlands, was listed as being worth 70m, but he is not on the 2007
list and in the past I know that he was listed as being worth 100m and
there as all that proplem with some ancient sliver, I would have
thought that with land prices going up he should be worth more now
than he was 10 years ago? I have also noticed that Castle Ashby has
been closed to the public on the grounds that it is now being used by
the family, If through your extensive knowledge of matters you can
shed any light on the above enquiries I will be most grateful.

On 23 Jul, 02:57, Michael Rhodes <migx73allenford2...@yahoo.co.uk>

Turenne

Jul 25, 2007, 3:26:01 PM7/25/07
to Peerage News

Marquess wrote:

On 25 Jul, 00:41, marquess <marquessmarqu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Michael do you know what the acerage is for the Newby Hally property,
> and what the acerage is for the scottish Farquhason? I think that the
> latter is quite large? Also I notice that the marquess, who according
> to the Times Rich list of 2006 has 25,000 acres in Warkwickshire and
> the Midlands, was listed as being worth 70m, but he is not on the 2007
> list and in the past I know that he was listed as being worth 100m and
> there as all that proplem with some ancient sliver, I would have
> thought that with land prices going up he should be worth more now
> than he was 10 years ago? I have also noticed that Castle Ashby has
> been closed to the public on the grounds that it is now being used by
> the family, If through your extensive knowledge of matters you can
> shed any light on the above enquiries I will be most grateful.

The Farquarson estate of Invercauld near Braemar consists of some 200
sq miles of land which includes a large mansion.

The family owns 5,000 acres of Surrey, plus 25,000 acres in the
Midlands, giving a total wealth of £100m in land alone. Aside from the
Sevso hoard, Northampton's family has art treasures in both his
stately homes, conservatively valued at £100m. But the huge legal
costs in establishing ownership of the Sevso treasure - the Hungarian,
Lebanese and Yugoslavian governments were among those contesting
ownership - Received opinion is that Lord Northampton's heir will, on
succession, be worth in the region of £200m.

Richard L