December 25, 2009: Peace & Harmony News from S. Asia

Pritam Rohila

Dec 24, 2009, 11:15:21 PM12/24/09
to Peace & Harmony News From South Asia
ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNAL HARMONY IN ASIA (ACHA)
www.asiapeace.org & www.indiapakistanpeace.org
4410 Verda Lane NE, Keizer, OR 97303, USA
asia...@comcast.net

December 25, 2009: Peace & Harmony News from S. Asia
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IndiaPakistanPeaceDay
&
http://groups.google.com/group/peace--harmony-news-from-south-asia

IN THIS ISSUE

HAPPY GURU GOBIND SINGH BIRTHDAY
&
MERRY CHRISTMAS

View Christmas Greeting Card at http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=2018261431186&source=jl999

*Indian media groups express solidarity DAILY TIMES | December 24,
2009
*Dhaka moves to revive Nepal transit plan BDNEWS24.COM | December 24,
2009
*We owe it to India: Bhutan King THE HINDU | December 24, 2009
__

*Indian media groups express solidarity DAILY TIMES | December 24,
2009
http://www.southasianmedia.net/index_story.cfm?id=627537&category=Frontend&Country=MAIN

NEW DELHI: Indian media groups have expressed solidarity with their
Pakistani counterparts, expressing concern for their safety and lives
in the wake of Tuesday’s suicide attack near the Peshawar Press Club
that killed at least three people and injured more than 20. In
separate statements, the Press Club of India (PCI) and the Delhi Union
of Journalists (DUJ) on Wednesday asked journalists in South Asian
countries to unite and counter intimidation for the sake of freedom of
press and expression…

*Dhaka moves to revive Nepal transit plan BDNEWS24.COM | December 24,
2009
http://www.southasianmedia.net/index_story.cfm?id=627589&category=Frontend&Country=MAIN

DHAKA: Bangladesh has sent a draft deal to Kathmandu, ahead of prime
minister Sheikh Hasina's India visit next month, to activate a 1976
transit treaty allowing Nepal to use Mongla port for export of goods
to a third country. Government officials say Bangladesh and Nepal are
ready to sign the deal to activate the transit agreement, which will
also allow goods-laden trucks and trains to enter each others'
territory…

*We owe it to India: Bhutan King THE HINDU | December 24, 2009
http://www.southasianmedia.net/index_story.cfm?id=627520&category=Frontend&Country=MAIN

NEW DELHI: Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck on Wednesday
attributed the friendship with India to the success of Bhutan as a
nation. “Bhutan would not be where it is today without India’s
friendship,” he said while delivering the Madhav Rao Scindia Memorial
Lecture here. “Some say Bhutan was wise to seek strong bilateral
relations with India. Yes, after all, whether we speak about our socio-
economic progress or our recent transition to democracy, India has
been our steadfast partner and friend. But I feel that the true wisdom
lies in the fact that we sought and continue to seek true friendship
with India,” he said…

EXPLANATION/DISCLIMER: The above is a selection of news stories
pertaining to South Asian governments, civil society organizations and
individuals working together on projects of mutual benefit including
peace and communal harmony, and those relating to attempts to improve
the condition of South Asian peoples, especially women and children.
ACHA does not approve of or subscribe to any "disharmonizing
language" (including terms such as POK or IOK) used in these items
selected from various publications. Readers may exercise their
linguistic judgment and ignore any biased language.