Meeting on Wednesday

Jesse Hallett

May 22, 2009, 6:22:22 PM5/22/09
to Portland JavaScript Admirers
Hello all,

Our next PDXjs meeting will be on Wednesday, May 27th from 7-9pm at
CubeSpace <http://calagator.org/events/1250457163>. We have two talks
lined up so far.

Scott Becker will give a presentation on testing JavaScript code. This
will be a preview of a talk that Scott is preparing for Open Source
Bridge. So feedback on this presentation will help him to perfect the
OSB talk.

I will give a presentation on cluster analysis algorithms implemented
in JavaScript. This will be a preview of a talk that I am preparing
for Open Source Bridge. I would also really benefit from feedback on
my presentation.

I have been asked why folks would want to see a preview presentation
when they could just see the whole thing at OSB, or vice versa. In
response I give you these nifty options that preview talks allow:

A) You could go both to the preview talks and to the OSB
presentations. Having been primed by the earlier talks, you will be
prepared to glean all of the nuance of the subject matter at OSB.

B) You can use the short preview talk to decide if you want to commit
to the longer talk at OSB, or if you want to spend that time at
another talk. I hope that you will want to attend My and Scott's
talks. But I know that a lot of stuff will be going on at OSB and that
triage is an unfortunate necessity.

C) If you really want to you can wait until OSB to hear these talks
and spend your Wednesday evening doing something else. I will be sad -
but I will take comfort knowing that you are getting something really
worthwhile done.

So there you have it. Please pick whichever option best fits your
interests and circumstances.

I would like to see one or two more talks on the agenda. Do we have
any volunteers? In case you are looking for inspiration, we still have
a bunch of suggested topics left over from April:

* Client-side storage in HTML using sessionStorage, localStorage,
globalStorage, and openDatabase. These are meant to succeed cookies as
a means for storing data with browser clients
<http://trivero.secdiscover.com/html5whitepaper.pdf> (PDF). A related
topic is a prototype implementation of CouchDB in a web page that can
use HTML 5 DOM Storage as its backend
<http://www.toolness.com/wp/?p=580>.

* Web Workers - like message queues for the client side
<https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_DOM_workers>.

* New features in JavaScript 1.6 including better E4X integration and
extra Array methods
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/New_in_JavaScript_1.6>.

* New features in JavaScript 1.7 including generators and iterators,
list comprehensions, block scope, and destructuring assignment
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/New_in_JavaScript_1.7>.

* New features in JavaScript 1.8 including new lambda notation, lazily
evaluated list comprehensions, and an Array.reduce method
<http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-18-progress/>
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/New_in_JavaScript_1.8>.

* The canvas tag. We talked about this at the last meeting, but we
haven't had any demos yet
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial>.

* Cross-window messaging. This allows JavaScript applications in
different browser windows to communicate with each other
<http://ejohn.org/blog/cross-window-messaging/>.

* Ajax history navigation <http://www.pathf.com/blogs/2008/03/ie8-html5-and-a/>.

* Is Microsoft getting better at this? Improvements to JavaScript
support in Internet Explorer 8
<http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-in-internet-explorer-8/>.

Looking forward to seeing everybody on Wednesday,
Jesse Hallett

Chris Foster

May 22, 2009, 6:25:53 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com
http://cubespacepdx.com/node/2012  CubeSpace can use some help.

Jeremy Logan

May 22, 2009, 6:34:02 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com
Er... CubeSpace may be closed down.  http://cubespacepdx.com/node/2012

Jesse Hallett

May 22, 2009, 6:50:43 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Chris Foster <outof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://cubespacepdx.com/node/2012 CubeSpace can use some help.

I did see this. For now I am hoping for the best.

I do wish there were something that I could do to help CubeSpace. Does
anybody happen to have any ideas?

Chris Foster

May 22, 2009, 6:57:25 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com

kirby urner

May 22, 2009, 7:26:53 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Chris Foster <outof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://cubespacepdx.com/node/2012  CubeSpace can use some help.
>
> I did see this. For now I am hoping for the best.
>
> I do wish there were something that I could do to help CubeSpace. Does
> anybody happen to have any ideas?

Spread the new first of all, just alerted PPUG, another user group.

I'm thinking a big Asian company interested in buying a lot of
coworking properties, as its a national movement (I'm subscribed to a
google list called coworker, lots of activity, duplication of effort).
The time is right for a franchise, and Cubespace has a winning
formula, answers many questions about what works and what doesn't.

Of course a US company, like a bank, might think of it first, but US
Bank seems to want out of the speculative investment business,
preferring safe bets like mortgages or whatever. I'm not a banker in
that sense, so we'd have to ask them -- or my Wanderer friend Barry,
retired banker from Spokane... I'll check in with the guy soon.

Wish we could do more...

Kirby

Jesse Hallett

May 22, 2009, 7:28:33 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Chris Foster <outof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://savecubespacepdx.com/

Thank you Chris for pointing us to that link.
http://savecubespacepdx.com/ is collecting donations to help CubeSpace
stay open. If you are able to, please donate and tweet about it. Even
a small amount helps. Remember that CubeSpace is generous enough to us
to host the JavaScript Admirers and many other groups at no cost.

kirby urner

May 22, 2009, 7:47:00 PM5/22/09
to pd...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Jesse Hallett <hall...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Chris Foster <outof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://savecubespacepdx.com/
>
> Thank you Chris for pointing us to that link.
> http://savecubespacepdx.com/ is collecting donations to help CubeSpace
> stay open. If you are able to, please donate and tweet about it. Even
> a small amount helps. Remember that CubeSpace is generous enough to us
> to host the JavaScript Admirers and many other groups at no cost.

Maybe this is part of the problem and as a business plan going forward
user groups need to pay something, with the idea being that having a
Cubespace address is better (or equal) to a London address, in terms
of radiating competence and gravitas ("a Cubespace address confers
bragging rights" would be another way of putting it). That's worth
something too.

Anyway, I'll let management figure it out. Just for the record I'd
pay $5 a pop to attend these meetings, but I'd like it to be something
like Paypal (hooked to my US Bank account, as it so happens), not just
a jar by the door.

The admission could be optional but those making it get some kind of
presence at an official CubeSpace page, like a business address and/or
business card?

Like, I rent some time there (have an account), but no one would know
to look at their website. My $5 would help pay rent and give my
company a higher profile? Multiply that times 100 or more? Still
cheaper than my gym membership.

Kirby Urner
4dsolutions.net

Elizabeth