[PDXHS] Membership & getting more people involved

Lokkju Brennr

May 13, 2010, 1:20:33 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
All, I'd like your input on the following idea...

Right now, our biggest problem is we don't have that much in the space
to get people excited about coming down there and working on projects.
While we need to pay rent, if we don't grow, we are not going to be
able to survive (since right now membership fees are not covering the
rent).
So I'd like to try something - no membership fees (though donations
will still be very much appreciated), but instead, to be a member,
people will need to work on the space, organize the space, donate misc
parts, and bring in (or fix) equipment. We would still have a paid
membership for those who just want to help out monetarily, of course.
My hope would be that this would both bring in more people; and get
the space in a more useful condition for what it needs to be.

Idea, suggestions, verbiage?

Loki

Don Park

May 13, 2010, 1:29:38 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I think the current condition of the space does prevent people from
using it. Encouraging people to go to the space and be more voluntary
about membership dues is a great idea, though I do want to see the
space survive and that will happen with paying members.

The largest hurdle for me personally is the building itself. It has a
scent that tells me in a general way that compounds, possibly toxic,
permeate the building and I'm uncomfortable breathing that for long
periods of time.

Don

Lokkju Brennr

May 13, 2010, 1:38:12 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Interesting - you're sure it's not just the paint fumes? *grin*
I've noticed nothing, but then again, my allergies prevent me from
noticing most smells.

Loki

Don Park

May 13, 2010, 1:42:42 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Its something more than paint, but I would like to know if I'm the
only one who notices. I'm still interested in helping organize/improve
the space. Are the thursday night meetups working out? If not, lets
change the date/time, like a DJ changing the music until people get up
and dance.

Don

Lokkju Brennr

May 13, 2010, 1:43:46 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
It's mostly the same people at this point. Perfectly happy to change
the date/time if someone has some suggestions...

Loki

Philip Weaver

May 13, 2010, 4:22:52 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I share that concern, Don.  After a couple days there, I started hacking up dirty phlegm.  It could have just been dust, but I was also nervous about what else it could be.

Lokkju Brennr

May 13, 2010, 4:33:26 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... when was this? We've done a few major improvements recently
that would effect air quality in a positive manner:
- Closed up the silos
- insulation, mud, tape, and paint for the walls
- swept, vacuumed, and partially mopped the floor

Loki

Philip Weaver

May 13, 2010, 5:28:33 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been there since the work on the walls, so yeah it might not be a problem anymore.

Shawn Cupples

May 13, 2010, 5:51:49 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Though there are still many more steps that can be taken for air
quality in the space just sealing up the silo's and the open wall
combined with cleaning up in general helped a lot. If anybody is still
experiencing issues with the space please let's get it out there so it
can be addressed. The air quality at this point should be pretty close
to occupational except for in the category of flow when the space is
all closed up, but with the big door open it should be great.

--sc
--
Sent from my mobile device

Aaron Eiche

May 13, 2010, 5:54:28 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I think your best shot is to hold a show and tell, or a class. I don't
know what kinds of equipment are at the space now, but if you have
something uncommon for most people, A demonstration night can draw in
people.

Also, go to the places the target audience hangs out and put up some
flyers. Maybe find out if anyone has a broad contact list for former
tech-shoppers.

-Aaron

Lokkju Brennr

May 13, 2010, 6:07:16 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Well, we're working on getting some form of MakerBot or Mendel in
there, as well as a USRP. Of course, both of those cost money...
If anyone is interested in a group-built 3D printer, I'd be happy to
provide some funding.

Other than that, part of the idea of doing away with membership fees
for a while is to let people bring in more equipment, in lieu of fees.

Loki

Dean Pierce

May 13, 2010, 7:18:16 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I have been working down there about 2-3 times per week since it
opened, and have not had any respiratory issues except for the couple
weeks when the pollen/feces monster was unleashed and then the paint
job that followed. I typically just left the garage door open during
those times though, and it was all good.

I like the idea of throwing up some posters around backspace,
southeast grind, PSU (PCC and UP maybe?), at least for the Thursday
meetups, with some mention of member benefits. Also I think we should
stencil something fun on the garage door, so people know for sure that
they are at the right place.

- DEAN

Zach Moser

May 13, 2010, 7:49:53 PM5/13/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Some ideas and comments:

I haven't been down there yet. For the most part because Thursday evening conflict with classes I'm taking at PSU. For the next month or two I can only make it on the Weekends (Fri-Sun) and Monday.

Once I do make it down there, and if the space is acceptable, I'm will join as a member. I like the idea of free membership, or even preliminary free memberships, so people can check out the space over a period of time before committing money. Still, at the onset, I'm willing to throw down at least $20 a month. I am also willing to put in man-hours if help is needed with the space. I like doin' stuff.

***

Speaking about doin' stuf, the my main interests in joining a space like this are centered around being able to do stuff that I can't do alone. Things that either require 1) skills I don't have or 3) equipment I don't have or 4) ideas I don't have. Communities like this, to me, are awesome, because when done well, can provide skills in the form of teaching/learning and collaboration (skill-share), equipment in the form of sharing or communal, and ideas in the form of "know-how," "blind spot" filling, and opportunities to participate in things that I wouldnt have came to my mind on their own.

Otherwise, why participate in a community, I could do work at home in my basement or garage.

***

Regarding getting folks interested. A few ideas. Participate in meetings, groups, events, yadda yadda yadda, that share similar interest and invite & broadcast from there. Same thing with other mailing lists. (Examples: PDX Timebank, the diff programing groups around town, maker-lab, cyborgcamp, mobile portland, Research Club, etc) Get featured in related media around town. (Silcon Florist, Solid Liquid Air, Strange Love Live, etc) I like the flier idea as well. Was Free-Geek mentioned?

***

Lastly, talking over the space with a friend of mine...in regards to it being used for group meetings. He said he visited the space and it wasn't really set up to be easily used that way. Is there anything that could be done about that?

See ya,
zaq

Jim Eastman

May 15, 2010, 4:03:35 PM5/15/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Another thought: regular workshops, talks, mini-cons, etc. monthly
perhaps. I know other groups already have a lot of this going on, but
the more the merrier, yeah? We should be able to put our own spin on
things. And yes, this is me volunteering to coordinate such
activities. :-)

-Jimmy

Lokkju Brennr

May 16, 2010, 1:08:12 AM5/16/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Jimmy,

For stuff around the space, the immediate priorities, in order, are:
- clean up the rest of the space including the back area
- set up the back area to be more lounge like - couches, etc
- organize shit

If you really want to, I'd love you to coordinate events and the like.
I can set you up with a brainsilo email account and access to the
calendar...

Loki

Dean Pierce

May 16, 2010, 1:15:13 AM5/16/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be pretty cool to do something like tech demos on
Saturday afternoons. Even things like a rundown of firebug, someone
installing android on an iPhone, deploying a hello world rails app etc
might be entartaining. There is a projector in here, and I think a
group like ours would be able to handle an open mic style format
without too much fighting.

- DEAN

postmodern

May 16, 2010, 2:54:50 AM5/16/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I would be down with that. Show-n-tell crossed with lightening talks,
crossed with open-mic.
signature.asc

Jim Eastman

May 16, 2010, 3:17:23 PM5/16/10
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I'm happy to take on an event coordinator role.

I will be there this Thursday if we want to get this conversation
going face-to-face. Otherwise, I'll just get to work. :-)

-Jimmy

Daniel Johnson

May 17, 2010, 12:13:46 PM5/17/10
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Lokkju Brennr <lok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, we're working on getting some form of MakerBot or Mendel in
> there, as well as a USRP.  Of course, both of those cost money...
> If anyone is interested in a group-built 3D printer, I'd be happy to
> provide some funding.

I know someone with a small 3 axis CNC milling machine that he is
willing to bring to bring to the space. He made it himself largely
out of stuff he got from FREE GEEK. He has been busy with an election
campaign so after tomorrows vote he might actually have free time to
check it out.

--
teknotus
Take Notice