Sauerkraut

Jeff Schwaber

Oct 27, 2008, 3:55:28 PM10/27/08
to pdxfe...@googlegroups.com
Highlights of the weekend's sauerkraut making:

* Different methods for salting the sauerkraut:
- In a crock, put down a layer of cabbage, then add salt, repeat until
full, and then put your plate+weight on top of that.
- In a jar, put in cabbage and salt, then shake for as long as you
can. Then put it in the crock and add pressure.

The second method isn't one I've done before, and it was awesome. The
shaking brought the water out faster, so I could fill the jar more.
Also, the cabbage was tasty once it was beaten against the jar.
According to a Japanese pickle cookbook Gillian had, if you leave them
in pressure for a few hours, and then wash the salt off, you get a
particular type of pickle that's very tasty -- more fresh than pickle.

Gillian made turnip pickles and I hope to hear how they turned out. I
just put some turnip and turnip greens into my sauerkraut.

Anybody else got a story?

Jeff