Calagator code sprint report: 2010-10-30

1 view

Igal Koshevoy

Oct 30, 2010, 10:11:18 PM10/30/10
to pdx-tech...@googlegroups.com
IMPORTANT: To take advantage of the better searching now available in
the `master` branch, you'll need to update your Solr index, e.g., run
`rake RAILS_ENV=production solr:rebuild_index`

We had a small, but productive code sprint at NedSpace Old Town.

PARTICIPANTS

Reid Beels, Audrey Eschright, Igal Koshevoy, Bryan Stearns, David
Cato, Mary Anne Thygesen and first-time participant Todd Dombrowski.

RESOLVED

* Issue 437: Fixed maps shown on event and venue pages, they're now
zoomed out a reasonable amount. Problem was that Google changed the
default zoom level. Solution was that we set a preferred zoom level to
something more reasonable.
* Issue 438: Added a tag cloud to the homepage. This shows users the
popular tags on the system, lets them find events for them, and
generally show off the kinds of events in the system.
* Issue 439: Added progress status to `rake data:fetch`, which can
take minutes to run, so that it's clear to the user that it's working.
* Issue 440: Fixed gem dependency problems by specifying exact
versions of known-good gems to use. The problem is that we allowed the
system to load the latest version of some gems and these had recently
changed their APIs in incompatible ways, thus preventing the
application from starting.
* Issue 441: Fixed searching so to support exact searches, better
fuzzy searches and searches against text adjacent to punctuation and
other non-alphanumeric characters.
* Added more machine tags (e.g. to associate a Calagator venue with
its FourSquare profile, or a Calagator event with its Upcoming
counterpart). Refactored code around this for clarity and correctness.
* Added sorting for tag-based searches and refactored related code.

PROGRESS

* Issue 434: Reviewed and improved a huge branch that replaces VPIM
with RiCal. Switching to this new iCalendar parsing library
dramatically simplifies the application logic and eliminates the need
for many horrible workarounds. The code seems to be done, but needs
more manual testing, specs and refactoring.

Thank you all for coming and helping out!

-igal