Congressional Organizing

Andrea Miller

Apr 22, 2013, 2:46:18 PM4/22/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, April 18th we visited 78 Congressional House offices asking for support for the ERA 3 State Strategy bill.

Krystal Ransome

May 31, 2013, 4:34:05 PM5/31/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
For those that aren't aware, the Suffrage Centennial Celebration was held earlier this year, and as a part of that a panel was held on the ERA at AAUW's National Headquarters (Andrea, Cathy, and Portia, I remember you three being there). Bettina Hager of National Women's Political Caucus was part of this and even handed out a packet filled with information, phone call scripts, and sample press releases that can be utilized for congressional organizing (which Bettina went over). I still happen to have my copy of the packet and am willing to share with you all once I can get it scanned and converted to a PDF doc (hopefully a bit later this evening).

Krystal Ransome

Jun 1, 2013, 10:55:05 PM6/1/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
Here's the packet as promised...had a few bumps along the way in converting this.
ERA_NWPC.pdf

Giudi

Jun 2, 2013, 2:17:12 AM6/2/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all.  This is Giudi Weiss, representing the Gray Panthers. I'm getting these google group emails as a digest, which is fine, but I haven't quite figured out how to reply to a specific comment.  I wanted to thank Krystal for the packet of material, which looks like it will answer a lot of the questions I had after the call on Wednesday.  But I still have a few.  I'd like to put together something more concise that Gray Panthers can post on its website, but first I need to understand the issues better myself.

- I think I need clearer talking points on the 3-state strategy.  The first two bullet points, especially (this is the page numbered "3" in the packet) are over my head.
- I could also use some more detailed talking points on why we need the ERA.  It seems the fact sheets mostly address fears about it.  I'd love some really concrete examples of why we need it, what it will help women do, how it will protect us -- for example, maybe regarding equal pay, health care, etc.
- Some relevant historical facts about the ERA might also be useful (Maybe that's in here -- I've only skimmed the material)

Also, I think someone on the call mentioned a website for more info on the ERA -- besides the PDA one, that is.  Can someone tell me what it was?

Thanks for your help.

Krystal Ransome

Jun 4, 2013, 5:54:21 PM6/4/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giudi!

First of all, you're welcome.

Second, the bullet points... the first of the two simply explains that when the deadline was purposed it was in the congressional proposals for ratification of the amendment, not in the amendment itself. The second points out that a deadline for ratification is not necessary and that ratification can take as long as necessary, giving the 27th amendment as an example.

Third, I don't have much to offer in way of talking points to demonstrate why we need the ERA, but I often cite Reed v. Reed, 404 U.S. 71 (1971) when I talk about why we can't rely on the Equal Protection Clause in the 14th Amendment to guarantee equal rights for women.

Last, there's not too many facts in the packet, but here's two historical facts (off the top of my head) on the ERA that are not in the packet:
  • The ERA was first introduced in Congress in December 1923, on the 10th as S.J. Res. 21 and the 13th as H.J. Res. 75.
  • The original wording of the ERA, as the "Lucretia Mott Amendment," was "Men and women shall have equal rights throughout the United States and every place subject to its jurisdiction." Alice Paul later reworded it in 1943 to the current wording, and this wording has been referred to as the "Alice Paul Amendment."

I hope that I've helped a little. You can also refer to the site dedicated to the ERA, www.equalrightsamendment.org, which was mentioned a lot in the packet. I can't recall if this was the site mentioned on the call.

Krystal

Andrea Miller

Jun 17, 2013, 8:40:31 PM6/17/13
to pda...@googlegroups.com
Two new sponsors for HJ Res 43 both from California

Julia Brownley - CA-26 (Freshman)
Adam Schiff - CA-28

Kathy Castor - FL-14 said she was on the bill; checked with Anna Cullen and she is not listed
Bobby Scott (VA-03) still has not contacted Anna Cullen about cosponsoring the bill