Problems using setuptools.command.sdist?

Chris Bergstresser

Apr 8, 2009, 5:47:27 PM4/8/09
to paver
Hi all --

I'm now trying to create a source distribution task using Paver, but
I'm stymied. Here's what's happening:

I've created an "sdist" task, which calls setup with the
appropriate arguments, then calls environment.call_task
('setuptools.command.sdist'). This runs, and reads my MANIFEST.in
file (and the SOURCES.txt file in the .egg-info directory). But it
doesn't include all the files in SOURCES.txt--it includes the
*absolute* path to my source files in SOURCES.txt, and only includes
in the egg files in the "build" directory from which I'm running paver
(which are listed in SOURCES.txt with relative paths).
What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

-- Chris

Kevin Dangoor

Apr 9, 2009, 10:20:31 AM4/9/09
to pa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not actually that familiar with the SOURCES.txt file, though I have indeed seen an absolute path to one of my files creep in as a result of a listing in there. I stick to having the MANIFEST.in (+ setup options) describe everything I need included. If need be, I'll whack my egg-info directory and regenerate it.

Kevin

Chris Bergstresser

Apr 9, 2009, 2:26:53 PM4/9/09
to paver
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Kevin Dangoor <dan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm not actually that familiar with the SOURCES.txt file, though I have
> indeed seen an absolute path to one of my files creep in as a result of a
> listing in there. I stick to having the MANIFEST.in (+ setup options)
> describe everything I need included. If need be, I'll whack my egg-info
> directory and regenerate it.

Which I am doing, to no avail. That's the problem.

I was assuming, based on the documentation, if I had a
"MANIFEST.in" file in the build root (without a MANIFEST file, or a
SOURCES.txt file, or even a .egg-info directory) that sdist would read
the MANIFEST.in file, create the MANIFEST directory (and the .egg-info
directory, and the SOURCES.txt file in the .egg-info directory), and
then create an archive including all those files.
It doesn't. I get the .egg-info directory, and the SOURCES.txt
file, but no MANIFEST file. And the only files included in the built
distribution are the ones in the directory I run paver from--I'm
missing all the files in the other directories, which also happen to
be the ones listed by their absolute path name in the SOURCES.txt
file.
Anyone have any ideas?

-- Chris

Kevin Dangoor

Apr 9, 2009, 3:19:18 PM4/9/09
to pa...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Chris Bergstresser <ch...@subtlety.com> wrote:
>   It doesn't.  I get the .egg-info directory, and the SOURCES.txt
> file, but no MANIFEST file.

That's strange. I just checked Paver itself, and I see a MANIFEST file
in the directory.

I do hope all of the new attention on distutils this year will make
some of this trickery go away.

Kevin

jhermann

Apr 17, 2009, 9:57:10 AM4/17/09
to paver
One thing to keep in mind when using setuptools is that it likes to
use the info SVN provides (which is a good thing), especially when it
comes to decide whether a file is "source" or not. Maybe the problem
is caused by something in that area.