Passing on primary WebOb maintainership to Sergey Schetinin

Ian Bicking

Feb 14, 2011, 4:01:48 PM2/14/11
to Paste Users, pylons...@googlegroups.com, Sergey Schetinin, repoz...@lists.repoze.org
Hi all.

I've decided to pass primary maintainer duties to Sergey Schetinin (maluke) for WebOb -- while I have attended to WebOb sporadically he has been far more consistent in responding to bugs and inquiries, and in many ways has been acting maintainer.  So I think it fitting to make that more formal and give Sergey that title more formally, and put project management in the hands of someone doing the project management.

WebOb of course is used by many of libraries, and as such must remain stable and conservative in its forward development, but I think its scope makes the meaning of that fairly clear for everyone so I am not worried on that front.  Python 3 is the one thing that looms, and with PEP 3333 a porting effort is now reasonable.  I'm not sure that it's at the top of Sergey's list of things to do, but I hope the community can organize itself in this respect -- I believe well-done port of WebOb could make the porting effort for other libraries much easier as it can serve as insulation for many of the more tweaky differences between the Python versions.

Relatedly, I am also interested in finding maintainers for other packages, such as Paste*, WebTest, ScriptTest, FormEncode, WSGIProxy, and virtualenv.  If you are interested or have any questions, please contact me (email or IRC, I'm easy enough to find).

Cheers,
  Ian

Ian Bicking

Feb 14, 2011, 4:06:15 PM2/14/11
to Paste Users, pylons...@googlegroups.com, Sergey Schetinin, repoz...@lists.repoze.org
Oops, I forgot to mention that Sergey started a blog in part with the intention of posting on WebOb and related things: http://self.maluke.com/

Sergey Schetinin

Feb 15, 2011, 1:20:58 PM2/15/11
to Ian Bicking, Paste Users, pylons...@googlegroups.com, repoz...@lists.repoze.org
Thanks Ian for all the work you've put into the project. I hope I'll
be a deserving maintainer.

I don't have any immediate plans as I've already committed most of the
improvements I thought were most important. There's a community effort
to improve the test coverage which we'll merge into the trunk sometime
soon. The bug fixing was quite quick recently, I think, and I intend
to keep it that way.

Python 3 port will need to happen eventually, but I don't think I'll
be pressing to make it happen ASAP.

Also, as Ian mentioned, I'll be blogging about WebOb at http://self.maluke.com/

-Sergey

--
Best Regards,
Sergey Schetinin

http://self.maluke.com/ -- My articles and open-source stuff
http://www.maluke.com/ -- My commercial software and custom development services

Chris McDonough

Feb 17, 2011, 1:46:06 PM2/17/11
to pylons...@googlegroups.com, Ian Bicking, Paste Users, repoz...@lists.repoze.org
On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 20:20 +0200, Sergey Schetinin wrote:
> Thanks Ian for all the work you've put into the project. I hope I'll
> be a deserving maintainer.
>
> I don't have any immediate plans as I've already committed most of the
> improvements I thought were most important. There's a community effort
> to improve the test coverage which we'll merge into the trunk sometime
> soon. The bug fixing was quite quick recently, I think, and I intend
> to keep it that way.
>
> Python 3 port will need to happen eventually, but I don't think I'll
> be pressing to make it happen ASAP.

Hi Sergey,

We've listed "attempt to port WebOb to Python 3" as one of the tasks at
the PyCon Pylons/Pyramid sprint
(http://us.pycon.org/2011/sprints/projects/). I think basically this
task translates to "give WebOb 100% test coverage" as a first step (we
may not get around to actually doing the conversion, as writing the
tests will take some time). Do you think you could merge the tests done
by the community into the trunk before we do this so we don't repeat
effort?

- C

Sergey Schetinin

Feb 18, 2011, 2:38:36 PM2/18/11
to Chris McDonough, pylons...@googlegroups.com, Ian Bicking, Paste Users, repoz...@lists.repoze.org
On 17 February 2011 20:46, Chris McDonough <chr...@plope.com> wrote:
> We've listed "attempt to port WebOb to Python 3" as one of the tasks at
> the PyCon Pylons/Pyramid sprint
> (http://us.pycon.org/2011/sprints/projects/).  I think basically this
> task translates to "give WebOb 100% test coverage" as a first step (we
> may not get around to actually doing the conversion, as writing the
> tests will take some time).  Do you think you could merge the tests done
> by the community into the trunk before we do this so we don't repeat
> effort?

Yes, absolutely, I want to give a couple more days for anyone having
commit rights to that fork to add the tests they want and I'll merge
it into the trunk.

https://bitbucket.org/marplatense/webobtestcoverage/issue/3/merging-upstream

-Sergey