upgrading parrot's launchpad branch to bzr 2a format

Parth Malwankar

Mar 10, 2010, 12:38:17 AM3/10/10
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
Hello,

As a bzr user I prefer to follow the parrot import on launchpad[1] while
studying parrot.

During the branching I started seeing some issues like 'bzr branch' taking
too long and connection timeout.

After some discussion and experiments[2] it seems that the launchpad
branch is in a very old format (0.92) and newer bzr clients 2.x need to
do a lot of work in converting the format for any operation. Changing
this to 2a would make dealing with launchpad branch very efficient
(disk space, speed and memory). Might I suggest that the launchpad
owner upgrade the branch to 2a format. It would make life a little
easier for bzr users :-)

Note that 2a format requires bzr 2.x client which has been out for
quite some time now. People having local branch would need create
their local branch again ('bzr branch lp:parrot') once this conversion happens.

I talked to the #bzr folks on irc regarding how this can be done.

<parthm> hello. i am planning to suggest the lp:parrot owner to
upgrade the repo format to 2a. whats the suggested way to upgrade an
lp branch. l believe lp:parrot is an svn imported branch.
https://launchpad.net/parrot
<spiv> I think the owner of the branch can click an "upgrade format"
button in the web UI now.

Regards,
Parth

[1] https://launchpad.net/parrot
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/526825 (see comments starting #7)

Allison Randal

Mar 10, 2010, 8:45:58 AM3/10/10
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
On 3/10/10 5:38 AM, Parth Malwankar wrote:

> <parthm> hello. i am planning to suggest the lp:parrot owner to
> upgrade the repo format to 2a. whats the suggested way to upgrade an
> lp branch. l believe lp:parrot is an svn imported branch.
> https://launchpad.net/parrot
> <spiv> I think the owner of the branch can click an "upgrade format"
> button in the web UI now.

The Launchpad admins did the bzr transfer for us, so the owner of
lp:parrot is the "VCS imports" Launchpad team, rather than any of us on
the parrot team. I've sent a request to the admin of VCS imports asking
how to go about the upgrade.

Thanks!
Allison

Ronald Blaschke

Mar 10, 2010, 9:17:34 AM3/10/10
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
On 10.03.2010 14:45, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 3/10/10 5:38 AM, Parth Malwankar wrote:
>>
>> <parthm> hello. i am planning to suggest the lp:parrot owner to
>> upgrade the repo format to 2a. whats the suggested way to upgrade an
>> lp branch. l believe lp:parrot is an svn imported branch.
>> https://launchpad.net/parrot
>> <spiv> I think the owner of the branch can click an "upgrade format"
>> button in the web UI now.
>
> The Launchpad admins did the bzr transfer for us, so the owner of
> lp:parrot is the "VCS imports" Launchpad team, rather than any of us on
> the parrot team. I've sent a request to the admin of VCS imports asking
> how to go about the upgrade.

I've set the branch owner to parrot-dev, which I think is more
appropriate. Launchpad's branch import service should not be affected
by this. Still, I think only the Launchpad admins can upgrade the
repository format.

Ron

Ronald Blaschke

Mar 17, 2010, 7:03:07 AM3/17/10
to parro...@lists.parrot.org
On 10.03.2010 15:17, Ronald Blaschke wrote:
> On 10.03.2010 14:45, Allison Randal wrote:
>> On 3/10/10 5:38 AM, Parth Malwankar wrote:
>>>
>>> <parthm> hello. i am planning to suggest the lp:parrot owner to
>>> upgrade the repo format to 2a. whats the suggested way to upgrade an
>>> lp branch. l believe lp:parrot is an svn imported branch.
>>> https://launchpad.net/parrot
>>> <spiv> I think the owner of the branch can click an "upgrade format"
>>> button in the web UI now.
>>
>> The Launchpad admins did the bzr transfer for us, so the owner of
>> lp:parrot is the "VCS imports" Launchpad team, rather than any of us on
>> the parrot team. I've sent a request to the admin of VCS imports asking
>> how to go about the upgrade.
>
> I've set the branch owner to parrot-dev, which I think is more
> appropriate. Launchpad's branch import service should not be affected
> by this. Still, I think only the Launchpad admins can upgrade the
> repository format.

Thanks to the great work of the Launchpad admins, the conversion to the
new repository format is completed and import resumed.

In case you already have a branch using the old version you have two
options. Either upgrade your local branch and set the new parent
location (which changed because I changed the branch owner to parrot-dev).

cd Parrot/trunk
bzr upgrade
bzr pull --remember lp:parrot

Note that if you are using a shared repository it needs to be "bzr
upgrade"d first.

Or grab a fresh copy.

bzr branch lp:parrot

Former will take a while because the upgrade is a somewhat heavy
operation, latter needs to pull down about 100 MB.

Ron

Parth Malwankar

Mar 17, 2010, 7:15:48 AM3/17/10
to Ronald Blaschke, parro...@lists.parrot.org
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Ronald Blaschke <r...@rblasch.org> wrote:
> On 10.03.2010 15:17, Ronald Blaschke wrote:

>>> The Launchpad admins did the bzr transfer for us, so the owner of
>>> lp:parrot is the "VCS imports" Launchpad team, rather than any of us on
>>> the parrot team. I've sent a request to the admin of VCS imports asking
>>> how to go about the upgrade.
>>
>> I've set the branch owner to parrot-dev, which I think is more
>> appropriate.  Launchpad's branch import service should not be affected
>> by this.  Still, I think only the Launchpad admins can upgrade the
>> repository format.
>
> Thanks to the great work of the Launchpad admins, the conversion to the
> new repository format is completed and import resumed.

Thats great. Thanks.
I just grabbed my copy :-)

Regards,
Parth