Speeding up tests

Trevor Turk

Mar 11, 2009, 4:41:31 PM3/11/09
to Paperclip Plugin
I was getting complaints from my coworkers about slow running tests,
and I dug into Paperclip a little to try to speed them up. I'm just
using Test::Unit, and I'm now stubbing out some calls like so:

setup do
Photo.any_instance.stubs(:save_attached_files).returns(true)
Photo.any_instance.stubs(:delete_attached_files).returns(true)
Paperclip::Attachment.any_instance.stubs(:post_process).returns
(true)
end

Stubbing out the post_process method has sped up my tests a LOT. They
went from 39 seconds to 6 seconds.

I believe this is just bypassing the thumbnail creation, so it has
some impact on the quality of the tests, but it seems worth it for the
speed gains. I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's stubbing out too
much, though.

I have a separate "remote" test directory that does actual full-stack
testing with s3 and all that, so I figure I'm still pretty well
covered.

Anyway, let me know if you decide to try something similar. Any
thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

- Trevor