Pixel Qi?

Kent Loobey

Nov 5, 2010, 8:35:34 PM11/5/10
to pandaboard
How hard would it be to get a Pixel Qi screen to work with my PandaBoard?

http://pixelqi.com/products

Since they claim that it is "Fully compatible w/ existing systems – plug-and-
play replacement for standard LCD" is there an existing LCD interface
currently available for the Panda Board?

Vladimir Pantelic

Nov 6, 2010, 5:58:04 PM11/6/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com

PixelQI is LVDS and panda does not have a LVDS LCD interface. You would
need to add something like a SN75LVDS83B inbetween.

prpplague

Nov 8, 2010, 12:29:22 PM11/8/10
to pandaboard
Kent,

i have the Pixel Qi working with the PandaBoard using a SN75LVDS83B.
the LCD expansion header can easily be used to work with the
SN75LVDS83B and other LVDS chipsets.

Dave

Kent Loobey

Nov 8, 2010, 12:48:31 PM11/8/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I'm an application software kind of guy. Could you give me some specifics on
how you got that to work. If you can tell me the circuit and components I can
build it.

Kent

prpplague

Nov 11, 2010, 12:04:27 PM11/11/10
to pandaboard
Kent,

i'll post some reference schematics, but to be honest, if you are not
a "hardware guy" you are going to be hard pressed to get it working
properly. several thirdparty companies are discussing producing
general LVDS boards that would make them more or less plug and play
for the PixelQI.

is that something you'd be interested in?

Dave

Jeff Osier-Mixon

Nov 12, 2010, 5:49:32 PM11/12/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
YES

(sorry, did I say that too loud?)

George

Nov 12, 2010, 12:25:09 AM11/12/10
to pandaboard
Kent:

I just wanted to let you know that I was one of the 2nd round PEAP
winners and my project is to create a universal LCD adapter board for
the PandaBoard. As mentioned already you'll need an LVDS interface
such as the SN75LVDS83B but since different LCD manufacturers and
different size screens use different connectors as well as pinouts my
goal is to make what I hope to be a 1 size fits all adapter board. Of
course it won't work for every panel out there but I should be able to
capture a majority of them.

George

GeorgeIoak

Nov 12, 2010, 11:58:45 AM11/12/10
to pandaboard
Hi Dave & Kent:

I am starting on a project soon with the goal of creating a universal
LCD adapter board which would plug into the Pandaboard LCD expansion
header. You can see a brief description of my plans at

http://omappedia.org/wiki/PEAP_Projects#Universal_TFT_LCD_Interface_Board

I'll be sure to include the Pixel Qi on my list of supported LCDs
since there seems to be some interest in that display.

George

cwerren

Nov 12, 2010, 8:55:38 PM11/12/10
to pandaboard
I can put in a second yes!

Charles

On Nov 13, 6:49 am, Jeff Osier-Mixon <je...@jefro.net> wrote:
> YES
>
> (sorry, did I say that too loud?)

GeorgeIoak

Nov 12, 2010, 8:09:08 PM11/12/10
to pandaboard
I've made a few attempts to reply to this thread but for some reason
they haven't shown up. My luck will be that the 3rd time will be a
charm and all 3 posts will show up so I apologize in advance if that
happens!

I've started working on a project which will be a Universal TFT LCD
Adapter Board (UtLAB) which should help achieve exactly what you want
to do with the Pixel Qi. You can find a brief description at

http://omappedia.org/wiki/PEAP_Projects#Universal_TFT_LCD_Interface_Board

I just received my Pandaboard and am in the process of gathering
information so when time permits I'll try to add a Wiki page or start
a separate thread so people can chime in with their thoughts and
desires.

George

On Nov 12, 2:49 pm, Jeff Osier-Mixon <je...@jefro.net> wrote:
> YES
>
> (sorry, did I say that too loud?)

Kent Loobey

Nov 15, 2010, 5:49:57 PM11/15/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com

Super! I can hardly wait.

In another message you said:

"As mentioned already you'll need an LVDS interface

such as the SN75LVDS83B ..."

Do I need that in addition to your board?

GeorgeIoak

Nov 15, 2010, 8:46:57 PM11/15/10
to pandaboard
No, my board will be designed to plug directly into the Pandaboard
(and probably Beagleboard as well). It will be configurable to adapt
for multiple panels and will have a few different output connectors
(within reason) so you just need the board and the correct cable that
plugs into your panel.

On Nov 15, 2:49 pm, Kent Loobey <k...@uoregon.edu> wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2010 08:58:45 GeorgeIoak wrote:
>
> > Hi Dave & Kent:
>
> > I am starting on a project soon with the goal of creating a universal
> > LCD adapter board which would plug into the Pandaboard LCD expansion
> > header. You can see a brief description of my plans at
>
> >http://omappedia.org/wiki/PEAP_Projects#Universal_TFT_LCD_Interface_B...

Kent Loobey

Nov 16, 2010, 11:01:18 AM11/16/10
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 15 November 2010 17:46:57 GeorgeIoak wrote:
> No, my board will be designed to plug directly into the Pandaboard
> (and probably Beagleboard as well). It will be configurable to adapt
> for multiple panels and will have a few different output connectors
> (within reason) so you just need the board and the correct cable that
> plugs into your panel.

Super. I don't want to be a bother while you work on it so could you give us
some idea when we could expect it? Weeks, months, just some rough idea what a
project like this might take?

GeorgeIoak

Nov 16, 2010, 8:10:24 PM11/16/10
to pandaboard
Well I'm hoping close to 1 month. I want to complete my research and
I'm thinking I should try and get a page up so people can add comments
and help with saying what they want to support. I'm thinking a nice
table that shows the screens and some general information. I had a
spreadsheet I started a year or so ago so maybe I'll find that and try
to get it posted. I need to see if they've assigned or allowed pages
to be created for the projects or if I need to host my own page.

prpplague

Nov 29, 2010, 2:09:36 PM11/29/10
to pandaboard
George,

sorry for the delayed response. TinCanTools has already completed the
design of an LVDS board for the PandaBoard(and BeagleBoard) and will
be making it available in mid january. the board supports a wide range
of panels including the PixelQI and other off the shelf displays in
popular netbooks.

thanks
Dave

GeorgeIoak

Nov 29, 2010, 8:00:01 PM11/29/10
to pandaboard
You must have some inside information as I can't seem to find anything
about it on their web page. I do see there was some talk about it in
January of this year on the BeagleBoard forums and "this board" was
suppose to be completed in 60-90 days and it's now almost 11 months
since then. My goal is to have something out before Christmas. I guess
we'll just see what happens unless they want to combine efforts.

Todor Gyumyushev

Jan 24, 2011, 11:51:48 AM1/24/11
to pandaboard
Hello I'm also interested in the LVDS output option. Can you point the
URL in tincantools?
Regards,
Todor

On Nov 29 2010, 9:09 pm, prpplague <dave123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> George,
>
> sorry for the delayed response. TinCanTools has already completed the
> design of anLVDSboard for the PandaBoard(and BeagleBoard) and will

Per Åstrand

Jan 26, 2011, 5:22:32 AM1/26/11
to pandaboard
George,
What is the status of your project?
I'm interested in getting a Pixel Qi display working with a
pandaboard, and have just started to look into different options.

Can't find any info on tincan, but your project looks promising.

Regards,
Per

David Anders

Jan 27, 2011, 1:02:30 PM1/27/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
TinCanTools is planning to release the LVDS add on board for the beagle and panda within a few months.

it does support the pixel-qi as well as a wide range of lvds displays that are 1280x1024 or less.

Dave

GeorgeIoak

Jan 27, 2011, 9:08:10 PM1/27/11
to pandaboard
I unfortunately have fallen behind. I do have a board designed that
should work for LVDS but that's not my final goal. Because things have
been delayed I'm considering releasing this board just so some people
can get their hands on it. The main reason why I haven't released
what's done so far is that I'm thinking it might be beneficial to
people if I include a DVI input since the PB requires some 0201
resistors to be reworked which I seriously doubt most people can
handle. I'm concerned with the signal integrity but it may just be one
of things that you just try and see if it works.

The design currently has headers that mate with the PB headers and
includes 1 FFC connector with signal mapping for a particular 11.6"
screen I've got. I've also added a generic header for the LVDS signals
so an adapter cable could be made for other panels. The board also has
a voltage booster to create a 12V source for LED backlight panels and
I've also wired in a touch screen interface to the GPMC pins.

I still do want to complete the original design which will basically
be a kitchen sink approach and I hope to get back on it next month. If
TinCanTools is really going to relase something soon I may hold off
releasing my interim design but I didn't limit the LVDS output and I'm
not too sure why TinCanTools did.

George

prpplague

Jan 28, 2011, 11:22:52 AM1/28/11
to pandaboard
Georgeloak,

most LVDS displays that have a higher resolution than 1280x1024 will
utilize a EVEN/ODD(dual channel) LVDS path which is not directly
supported by the OMAP4430. you can have a look at this intel white
paper that describes the differences:

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/papers/315975.pdf

are you planning to go into full production of your board and retail
it?

Dave

GeorgeIoak

Jan 29, 2011, 10:37:56 AM1/29/11
to pandaboard
Dave,

Well I know of at least 1 1366x768 panel that is a single channel. I
would agree though that probably any dual channel panel is going to be
large enough to warrant just using the HDMI connection. I hadn't come
across that Intel paper so thanks for the link.

I'm considering going into production of that board so people can use
it.

George

prpplague

Jan 31, 2011, 11:31:38 AM1/31/11
to pandaboard
Georgeloak,

yes i should have been more accurate in my size limitation statement:

the single channel limitation is that of a maximum of 1310720
pixels(1280x1024).

the 1366x768(total of 1049088) is under that limitation.

TinCanTools wants to work with the BeagleBoard and PandaBoard
communities, so feel free to press forward with your LVDS design.

Dave

GeorgeIoak

Jan 31, 2011, 9:01:11 PM1/31/11
to pandaboard
Dave:

I'm not too sure why you made the comment that TinCanTools wants to
work with the BB and PB community. That's always been my intent and
why we are all openly discussing options and ideas. I'm not sure if
you're associated with TinCanTools but if you're not I don't think
I've seen them chime in on this conversation or show what they plan on
selling to the community. If TinCanTools is really going to release
something soon than it doesn't make sense for me to re-invent the
wheel.

George

prpplague

Jan 31, 2011, 11:33:04 PM1/31/11
to pandaboard
George,

i am sorry we don't seem to be communicating clearly with each other.
i am with TinCanTools. my comment was intended to point out that if
there is a community solution(i.e. your board), we (TinCanTools) would
prefer that the community solution be sold in the retail space.
we(TinCanTools) generally create products to fill a void where the
community hasn't filled in a need. we have a completed design that we
did for a customer and were simply deciding whether we will market it
as a retail item.

Dave

Alexander Templeton

Feb 4, 2011, 12:07:32 AM2/4/11
to pandaboard
Dave@TinCanTools

What's it cost? Dimensions? Have any pictures?

prpplague

Feb 7, 2011, 2:59:22 PM2/7/11
to pandaboard
Alexander,

assuming we go to production, we expect to sell the LVDS board for
between $79 and $99 USD.

you can see one revision of the board here:

http://www.elinux.org/PandaBoard_lvds

thanks
Dave

alxx

Feb 7, 2011, 8:22:44 PM2/7/11
to pandaboard
Any idea on how soon you guys will make a decision on whether you go
into production or not ?

Alex

prpplague

Feb 7, 2011, 8:30:54 PM2/7/11
to pandaboard
alex,

we are still getting some feedback and evaluating if the product bto
see if we will have a good Return on Investment.

Dave

On Feb 7, 7:22 pm, alxx <alxxtheg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea on how soon you guys will make a decision on whether you go
> into production or not ?
>
>t Alex

Taha

Feb 15, 2011, 10:21:29 AM2/15/11
to pandaboard
Hi Dave, i was wondering do you guys plan to sell the board at
TinCanTools? cause i havent seen anything online and was wondering?

-Taha

prpplague

Feb 16, 2011, 11:45:41 AM2/16/11
to pandaboard
Taha,

we are still evaluating the Return On Investment of going to
production of the board. if we don't we will release the board design
under an open source license.

Dave