Announcing: PandaBoard ES

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 16, 2011, 1:56:47 PM11/16/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

It's been about a year since we launched the PandaBoard platform and it's been a wild first year. Together we have rallied around the platform and adopted it.  Here are just a few of our one-year milestones:
  • More than 8900 PandaBoards sold
  • 1100+ members on our mailing list
  • 70+ registered community projects (incl. Android Open Source Project 4.0 (ICS) officially supports PandaBoard)
  • 9+ linux distributions have been ported

I am excited to announce the next edition of PandaBoard, which is based on Texas Instruments OMAP4460 processor. It's called PandaBoard ES and offers higher performance and some new cool features. You can review more information, faqs & pre-order it today at http://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es

We are announcing and making pre-order available to existing PandaBoard community members so that each of us can get in the queue first. We expect general availability & boards to start shipping in early December.

Best Regards,
Jayabharath

haunma

Nov 16, 2011, 4:59:49 PM11/16/11
to pandaboard
Nice!

For those who don't have the original Pandaboard specs memorized, it
would be nice to provide, somewhere on that page, a hardware diff from
Pandaboard -> Pandaboard ES. Or, maybe a "which should I buy?"
summary for those who don't have either board and need to decide.
It's not readily apparent what is different, without carefully combing
through both spec sheets.

Is the OMAP4460 any more likely to be available to small players,
versus the 4430? Just wondering if the Pandaboard mission might
eventually grow to include hardware designers.

Is there any improvement in the intellectual-property situation with
the new SGX core? I would guess not, but it doesn't hurt to keep the
pressure on.

The summary mentions accessory compatibility, but doesn't explicitly
address the expansion connector. Is it safe to assume the expansion
signals are unchanged? My long-delayed FPGA board layout is almost
done.

Regards,

Mark

On Nov 16, 10:56 am, "Jayabharath, Goluguri" <jayabhar...@ti.com>
wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> It's been about a year since we launched the PandaBoard platform and it's
> been a wild first year. Together we have rallied around the platform and
> adopted it.  Here are just a few of our one-year milestones:
>
>    - More than 8900 PandaBoards sold
>    - 1100+ members on our mailing list
>    - 70+ registered community projects (incl. Android Open Source Project
>    4.0 (ICS) officially supports
> PandaBoard<http://source.android.com/source/building-devices.html>
>    )
>    - 9+ linux distributions have been ported
>
> I am excited to announce the next edition of PandaBoard, which is based on
> Texas Instruments OMAP4460 processor. It's called PandaBoard ES and offers
> higher performance and some new cool features. You can review more
> information, faqs & pre-order it today athttp://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es
>
> We are announcing and making pre-order available to existing PandaBoard
> community members so that each of us can get in the queue first. We expect
> general availability & boards to start shipping in early December.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jayabharath
>
> <http://pandaboard.org>

gontadu

Nov 17, 2011, 4:29:00 AM11/17/11
to pandaboard
Hi all,

@haunma, I am writing a comparison here as we find out more

http://getcomparisons.com/pandaboard-vs-pandaboard-es

I am sure it would be convenient to put a link to that page on the
pandaboard website rather than repeating the work?

Gr3yh0und

Nov 17, 2011, 5:22:32 AM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
This is really a point due to many now available touchscreen versions where it would be great to allow the compatibility.
"

I currently use a PandaBoard and plan to move to PandaBoard ES. Do I need to buy new accessories?

No. PandaBoard ES has been designed so that you can leverage all your PandaBoard peripherals & accessories (like SD card, power supply, cables etc).

"

Just doesn't mention the extension headers. Would be great to add, if so!

tom

Nov 17, 2011, 7:36:19 AM11/17/11
to pandaboard
Hi,

I just tried to pre-order at DigiKey but got the following message:
"Due to U.S. export controls, we are unable to add this item to your
order.".
Any idea when non-US customers will be allowed to pre-order?

Thank you,
Thomas

On Nov 16, 7:56 pm, "Jayabharath, Goluguri" <jayabhar...@ti.com>
wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> It's been about a year since we launched the PandaBoard platform and it's
> been a wild first year. Together we have rallied around the platform and
> adopted it.  Here are just a few of our one-year milestones:
>
>    - More than 8900 PandaBoards sold
>    - 1100+ members on our mailing list
>    - 70+ registered community projects (incl. Android Open Source Project
>    4.0 (ICS) officially supports
> PandaBoard<http://source.android.com/source/building-devices.html>
>    )
>    - 9+ linux distributions have been ported
>
> I am excited to announce the next edition of PandaBoard, which is based on
> Texas Instruments OMAP4460 processor. It's called PandaBoard ES and offers
> higher performance and some new cool features. You can review more
> information, faqs & pre-order it today athttp://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es
>
> We are announcing and making pre-order available to existing PandaBoard
> community members so that each of us can get in the queue first. We expect
> general availability & boards to start shipping in early December.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jayabharath
>
> <http://pandaboard.org>

Ron M

Nov 17, 2011, 8:15:20 AM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Joining Thomas's query.
Will you be marketing it via Mouser as well?

Thanks,
Ron

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 17, 2011, 12:11:01 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 16, 3:59 pm, haunma <hau...@keteu.org> wrote:
> Nice!
>
> For those who don't have the original Pandaboard specs memorized, it
> would be nice to provide, somewhere on that page, a hardware diff from
> Pandaboard -> Pandaboard ES.  Or, maybe a "which should I buy?"
> summary for those who don't have either board and need to decide.
> It's not readily apparent what is different, without carefully combing
> through both spec sheets.

Good point - will have this info by the time we do a general avaialblity & PR. We had assumed people on this list & existing community know a good amount of detail already.

4460 silicon will not be broadly available to low volume customer. However, for such cases we have 4460 based SoM modules already sampling with some vendors eg.., http://www.variscite.com/products/item/76-var-som-om44-ti-omap4460

> Is there any improvement in the intellectual-property situation with
> the new SGX core?  I would guess not, but it doesn't hurt to keep the
> pressure on.

From a performance standpoint the SGX hardware core is clocked higher that the 4430. In regards to IP restrictions we had on 4430 drivers the constraints still exist.

> The summary mentions accessory compatibility, but doesn't explicitly
> address the expansion connector.  Is it safe to assume the expansion
> signals are unchanged?  My long-delayed FPGA board layout is almost
> done.

We have kept the compatible except for minor change need to correct the audio issue. So, I dont expect it to affect your design... However, I have just added a new FAQ with links to board resource & schematics - please review them to be certain.

The FAQ is added on http://pandaboard.org/content/pandaboard-es

--Jayabharath

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 17, 2011, 12:18:00 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:29 AM, gontadu <esh...@live.co.za> wrote:
Hi all,

@haunma, I am writing a comparison here as we find out more

http://getcomparisons.com/pandaboard-vs-pandaboard-es

I am sure it would be convenient to put a link to that page on the
pandaboard website rather than repeating the work?

Thanks - nice looking site/comparision I was not aware of it earlier.
However, I rather prefer content to be on a community wiki like elinux.org or omappedia.org or link to it from there.

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 17, 2011, 12:20:40 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Ron M <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
Joining Thomas's query.
Will you be marketing it via Mouser as well?

We expect other distributor to carry the Pandaboard ES as well. However, currently Digi-Key is the only distributor.

--Jayabharath

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 17, 2011, 12:26:59 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Yes expansion headers are compatible for display/touchscreen. There was one change that we had to make to correct a audio problem on original PandaBoard. Please refer to the board schematics for details http://pandaboard.org/sites/default/files/board_reference/ES/750-2170-002-sch_revb.pdf

--Jayabharath

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Nov 17, 2011, 12:34:03 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nipuna Gunasekera
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM, tom <tom.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I just tried to pre-order at DigiKey but got the following message:
"Due to U.S. export controls, we are unable to add this item to your
order.".
Any idea when non-US customers will be allowed to pre-order?

It should be allowed. I do know yesterday someone order it to canada. nipuna is checking with Digi-Key to see if they are having any issues.

Please wait for a message/update on this.
--Jayabharath

GeorgeIoak

Nov 17, 2011, 9:59:33 PM11/17/11
to pandaboard
Hi Jayabharath:

I'm very interested in your 4460 based SOM and put in a RFQ on the
website link you posted above but I thought I'd also drop a note here
as well.

George

On Nov 17, 9:34 am, "Jayabharath, Goluguri" <jayabhar...@ti.com>

Tommy Lu

Nov 17, 2011, 11:52:28 PM11/17/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
NICE~~

gontadu

Nov 18, 2011, 4:38:55 AM11/18/11
to pandaboard
Well I just had a look at omappedia.org after a long while! I am
registered but have no idea where to add a link to this comparison on
the website! Like you said, a link on omappedia.org would be ideal. At
some point I will try and put in comparisons with other dev platforms
as well.

On Nov 17, 7:18 pm, "Jayabharath, Goluguri" <jayabhar...@ti.com>

gontadu

Nov 18, 2011, 4:49:40 AM11/18/11
to pandaboard
Is there any difference in the memory being used between the two? Like
DDR vs DDR2?

On Nov 17, 7:11 pm, "Jayabharath, Goluguri" <jayabhar...@ti.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 16, 3:59 pm, haunma <hau...@keteu.org> wrote:
>
> > Nice!
>
> > For those who don't have the original Pandaboard specs memorized, it
> > would be nice to provide, somewhere on that page, a hardware diff from
> > Pandaboard -> Pandaboard ES.  Or, maybe a "which should I buy?"
> > summary for those who don't have either board and need to decide.
> > It's not readily apparent what is different, without carefully combing
> > through both spec sheets.
>
> Good point - will have this info by the time we do a general avaialblity &
> PR. We had assumed people on this list & existing community know a good
> amount of detail already.
>

> > Is the OMAP4460 any more likely to be available to small players,
> > versus the 4430?  Just wondering if the Pandaboard mission might
> > eventually grow to include hardware designers.
>
> 4460 silicon will not be broadly available to low volume customer. However,
> for such cases we have 4460 based SoM modules already sampling with some
> vendors eg..,http://www.variscite.com/products/item/76-var-som-om44-ti-omap4460

Måns Rullgård

Nov 18, 2011, 7:24:11 AM11/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
gontadu <esh...@live.co.za> writes:

> Is there any difference in the memory being used between the two? Like
> DDR vs DDR2?

No, both boards use the same memory chip.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Vladimir Pantelic

Nov 18, 2011, 6:42:09 AM11/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Jayabharath, Goluguri wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM, tom <tom.w...@gmail.com <mailto:tom.w...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to pre-order at DigiKey but got the following message:
> "Due to U.S. export controls, we are unable to add this item to your
> order.".
> Any idea when non-US customers will be allowed to pre-order?
>

> It should be allowed. I do know yesterday someone order it to canada. nipuna is checking with Digi-Key to see if they
> are having any issues.

I guess that they have mislaid the export control clearance number as usual...

Tatsuya Kawano

Nov 18, 2011, 12:19:55 AM11/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nipuna Gunasekera, tom.w...@gmail.com
Hi,

I live in Japan and I asked DigiKey Japan for PandaBoard ES
availability in Japan. I got similar reply from them; they are
currently unable to export it from the US.

We can get the original PandaBoard in Japan, so I'm hoping ES will
soon become available too.

Thanks,
Tatsuya

--
Tatsuya Kawano (Mr.)
Tokyo, Japan

Jacques Bride

Nov 18, 2011, 3:25:08 PM11/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello

more general question: is it possible to fly with a pandaboard in cabin luggages? I have to travel to the USA soon, I do not want to put my board inside the baggage hold as they are not very careful with bags at airports. However, I do not want to have it confiscated when I enter the plane through the control....

Thanks
Jacques

Måns Rullgård

Nov 18, 2011, 3:50:59 PM11/18/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Jacques Bride <jacque...@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> more general question: is it possible to fly with a pandaboard in cabin
> luggages? I have to travel to the USA soon, I do not want to put my board
> inside the baggage hold as they are not very careful with bags at airports.
> However, I do not want to have it confiscated when I enter the plane
> through the control....

I have done it without problems. Airport security doesn't seem to care
about random bits of electronics.

--
Måns Rullgård
ma...@mansr.com

Nitin Mahajan

Nov 19, 2011, 10:29:26 PM11/19/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

2011/11/19 Måns Rullgård <ma...@mansr.com>:

I would also like to know, How and when it would be available in India?

regards
-Nitn

Steven

Nov 18, 2011, 1:15:32 PM11/18/11
to pandaboard
Same here in Taiwan.
Can't preorder PandaBoard ES from Digi-Key.

On Nov 18, 1:19 pm, Tatsuya Kawano <tatsuya6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in Japan and I asked DigiKey Japan for PandaBoard ES
> availability in Japan. I got similar reply from them; they are
> currently unable to export it from the US.
>
> We can get the original PandaBoard in Japan, so I'm hoping ES will
> soon become available too.
>
> Thanks,
> Tatsuya
>
> --
> Tatsuya Kawano (Mr.)
> Tokyo, Japan

Tommy Lu

Nov 20, 2011, 8:23:47 PM11/20/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Guys!
    I want to buy a PandaBoard ES,but when i add it to my order,i don't know what is "Customer Reference",where i can find it?
Thanks~
Tommy

Joshi, Vikas

Nov 20, 2011, 11:23:04 PM11/20/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

There is not generic rule for that, depends on case-to-case.

I was at a event over the week-end and one participant mentioned that he tried carrying it in on-board luggage.

The airport authorities kept the board a 48 hr cool-down storage since they could not figure out intended use and were afraid it is part of the bigger electronics parts!

If cost is not an issue then may be ship it to yourself or try doing a good packaging around it for check-in.

Vikas

Nipuna Gunasekera

Nov 21, 2011, 3:57:03 PM11/21/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Digikey hasn't removed the block relating to US Export Control due to the fact that it's a new manufacturer that is building the PandaBoard ES so in the mean time if you're outside of the US you can still put in your pre-orders via:  http://www.svtronics.com/products/23-panda-board-es

We're working with Digikey to resolve this.

Regards -Nipuna

Bill Traynor

Nov 21, 2011, 4:01:47 PM11/21/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 15:57, Nipuna Gunasekera <nipuna.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Digikey hasn't removed the block relating to US Export Control due to the fact that it's a new manufacturer that is building the PandaBoard ES so in the mean time if you're outside of the US you can still put in your pre-orders via:  http://www.svtronics.com/products/23-panda-board-es

We're working with Digikey to resolve this.

That's odd, as I managed to pre-order to Canada last week.

Nipuna Gunasekera

Nov 21, 2011, 5:34:49 PM11/21/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
It's possible that your order went through before their system updated.  Talking with Digikey it seems there is a comment next to your order to "check on export control" so you might want to check on this with them when you get a chance.

Regards -Nipuna

Bill Traynor

Nov 21, 2011, 5:38:18 PM11/21/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 17:34, Nipuna Gunasekera <nipuna.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's possible that your order went through before their system updated.  Talking with Digikey it seems there is a comment next to your order to "check on export control" so you might want to check on this with them when you get a chance.

Nope, the order is still good.  No mention of export controls yet, but I'll keep watching it.

tom

Nov 22, 2011, 11:28:20 AM11/22/11
to pandaboard
Hi,

I just tried to pre-order vom SVTronics. They seem to be able to ship
it to my place (Austria / Europe) but the shipping fee is really high:
116.33 USD (economy) or 132.88 (priority). To be honest this is not
really an option for me. I'll have to wait until DigiKey removes the
order restriction.
It is sad that I and many other non-US citizens will have to wait
longer for their ES since we are going to end up at the end of the
queue.

Bye,
Thomas

On Nov 21, 9:57 pm, Nipuna Gunasekera <nipuna.gunasek...@gmail.com>

Jacques Bride

Nov 22, 2011, 12:11:59 PM11/22/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vikas

Well, I do not know what to do then. I need the board to work with it unlil the day before I leave

I will have to modify my plan I suppose

Jacques

Gr3yh0und

Nov 22, 2011, 5:20:02 PM11/22/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Tigal.com sits in Austria and said this to me today:

# das PB ES ist noch nicht verfügbar und wird erst Ende dieser Woche publiziert
# bitte registrieren Sie sich via www.tigal.com als Kunde und melden sich bei unserem Newsletter an (hier werden Sie bzgl. Verfügbarkeit des PB ES informiert),
sobald das PB ES online gestellt wird können Sie direkt Ihre Bestellung online eingeben

It's published at the end of this week and they will report in their newsletter ASAP as it's available for preorder.

Tatsuya Kawano

Nov 25, 2011, 2:38:49 AM11/25/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nipuna Gunasekera
I just saw PandaBoard ES can be purchased throguh DigiKey Japan site!
Thanks all who have worked on it!

- tatsuya

2011/11/18 Tatsuya Kawano <tatsu...@gmail.com>:

--
河野 達也

Tatsuya Kawano (Mr.)
Tokyo, Japan

twitter: http://twitter.com/tatsuya6502

Nipuna Gunasekera

Nov 28, 2011, 4:30:42 PM11/28/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for confirming this.  Digikey also mentioned that they have loaded the needed export control information for the PandaBoard ES part number.

Regards -Nipuna

alxx

Nov 29, 2011, 8:27:36 PM11/29/11
to pandaboard
Might just be to some countries ?

Had no problems submitting an order for a pandaboard es to be shipped
to Australia.

Alex

On Nov 22, 7:57 am, Nipuna Gunasekera <nipuna.gunasek...@gmail.com>

Nipuna Gunasekera

Dec 1, 2011, 8:14:10 PM12/1/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
It should be fixed now.

Regards -Nipuna

Gr3yh0und

Dec 3, 2011, 10:45:03 AM12/3/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Tigal now hast it listed and ready for preorder:
http://www.tigal.com/product/2372

Shipping will be around 18th january

Jayabharath, Goluguri

Dec 7, 2011, 12:50:16 PM12/7/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com, Nipuna Gunasekera
Hello All,

I just wanted to update you this morning we announced broad availability of PandaBoard ES and can now be ordered via Digi-Key (Go to http://pandaboard.org and click order now).

As I understand from the manufacturer (SVTronics) first batch of board should be shipping out to the distributor (Digi-Key) within the next couple of days. So, if you had a pre-order in the Digi-key system you will probably get it soon :)

Most PandaBoard ES documentation is available on PandaBoard.org already. In the next couple of days we will update OMAPpedia wiki pages to have the right information to get started.

Best Regards, --Jayabharath

Tom Mitchell

Dec 8, 2011, 12:08:55 PM12/8/11
to pandaboard
If you know it is under export control
carry on or checked it can get you
in trouble with the export folk.

I suspect (but do not know) that the issue is
that classification documentation is not yet
available for this new part and board.
When the paperwork is done I expect
that it will be available to all but a small handful
of locations.

All US made computers need paperwork to
document the performance and other
interesting features. Laptops, phones,
tablets, etc. are known and documented and
quietly pass the gates.

On Nov 18, 12:25 pm, Jacques Bride <jacques.br...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> more general question: is it possible to fly with a pandaboard in cabin
> luggages? I have to travel to the USA soon, I do not want to put my board
> inside the baggage hold as they are not very careful with bags at airports.
> However, I do not want to have it confiscated when I enter the plane
> through the control....
>
> Thanks
> Jacques
>

> 2011/11/18 Tatsuya Kawano <tatsuya6...@gmail.com>

> > Hi,
>
> > I live in Japan and I asked DigiKey Japan for PandaBoard ES
> > availability in Japan. I got similar reply from them; they are
> > currently unable to export it from the US.
>
> > We can get the original PandaBoard in Japan, so I'm hoping ES will
> > soon become available too.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Tatsuya
>
> > --
> > Tatsuya Kawano (Mr.)
> > Tokyo, Japan

alxx

Dec 9, 2011, 8:14:08 PM12/9/11
to pandaboard
Just got an email that mine has shipped!
(being sent to Australia)

So looks like the customs problem has been solved or for some
countries.

Alex

Eric Bocelle

Dec 23, 2011, 5:31:04 AM12/23/11
to pandaboard

It seems it's available on mouser website.
However no delivery date is displayed for the moment.

E.