Speed Problems with USB HDD or Networking

mr_sven

Jun 6, 2011, 9:57:22 AM6/6/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've seen the following URL http://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/06/storage-speed-on-pandaboard-revisited.html and I've recognized the same problems.
If I connect over SSH to the Console the connection hangs continously. If I Ping the Board until I'm connected, then the connection is ok.
The same issue with a USB HDD, might be a problem with the USB connection?

Does anyone run into same issues?

Regards
Sven

prpplague

Jun 8, 2011, 3:26:12 PM6/8/11
to pandaboard
Sven,

yes most likely it is. i've modified a pandaboard to remove the
LAN9514 and wire a host port connector to the EHCI. even with the
LAN9514 removed i am still have similar issues. this leaves the USB
PHY, the EHCI controller, and the EHCI driver. i'm working on
isolating the issue now.

Dave

On Jun 6, 8:57 am, mr_sven <c1ph3r...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen the following URLhttp://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/06/storage-speed-on-pandaboard-r...and

prpplague

Jun 16, 2011, 12:12:00 PM6/16/11
to pandaboard
Sven,

issue seems to have been resolved.

i've tested this change and verified the performance:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2011-June/006649.html

Dave

On Jun 8, 2:26 pm, prpplague <dave123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sven,
>
> yes most likely it is. i've modified a pandaboard to remove the
> LAN9514 and wire a host port connector to theEHCI. even with the
> LAN9514 removed i am still have similar issues. this leaves the USB
> PHY, theEHCIcontroller, and theEHCIdriver. i'm working on
> isolating the issue now.
>
> Dave
>
> On Jun 6, 8:57 am, mr_sven <c1ph3r...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I've seen the following URLhttp://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/06/storage-speed-on-pandaboard-r...

GrueMaster

Jul 19, 2011, 3:59:24 PM7/19/11
to pandaboard
No, this fix is for a different issue. We are still seeing
performance issues on USB HD. The fix described fixes a different
race condition exposed with gcc-4.6 that kills all usb support on arm
(not just omap4).

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ti-omap4/+bug/709245
for more info. I added info to the bug report for people to reproduce
this on their systems.

Tobin

On Jun 16, 9:12 am, prpplague <dave123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sven,
>
> issue seems to have been resolved.
>
> i've tested this change and verified theperformance:
>
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2011-June/006649.html
>
> Dave
>
> On Jun 8, 2:26 pm, prpplague <dave123...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Sven,
>
> > yes most likely it is. i've modified a pandaboard to remove the
> > LAN9514 and wire a host port connector to theEHCI. even with the
> > LAN9514 removed i am still have similar issues. this leaves the USB
> > PHY, theEHCIcontroller, and theEHCIdriver. i'm working on
> > isolating the issue now.
>
> > Dave
>
> > On Jun 6, 8:57 am, mr_sven <c1ph3r...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I've seen the following URLhttp://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/06/storage-speed-on-pandaboard-r...
> > > I've recognized the same problems.
> > > If I connect over SSH to the Console the connection hangs continously. If I
> > >Pingthe Board until I'm connected, then the connection is ok.

mr_sven

Jul 27, 2011, 12:10:08 PM7/27/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I can confim this doesn't fix it, I've still the same problems as before.
I created a 500GB disk with ext3, it takes more than 20 Minutes.