Heat-sink Recommendations

Bill Fleming

Dec 30, 2010, 12:29:16 PM12/30/10
to pandaboard
So my panda overheats and resets sometimes while running HD video,
especially in an enclosed area. It is most likely heat but could be a
driver issue too.
While having a fan blowing over the board helps I really need a good
heat-sink for this thing if I'm going to build it into a tablet.
(could then add a small fan as well)
Has anyone fitted a heat-sink to their panda board yet?

Bill

Rob Clark

Jan 1, 2011, 5:05:53 PM1/1/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

In the very early days (ie. ES1.0 and pre-power-management), I used a
small heatsink from a pack of heatsinks intended to use on VGA cards..
it worked ok, but if you don't have airflow, there isn't much a
heat-sink can do. But I haven't needed a heat sink for a long time.

Just curious, what x-loader/MLO are you using? Initial x-loader for
ES2.1 was setting one of the power rails (VCORE1, IIRC) waaay too high
making things nice and toasty. But that was corrected a long time
ago.

BR,
-R

> Bill

Bill Fleming

Jan 1, 2011, 5:47:09 PM1/1/11
to pandaboard
I don't know which x-loader I am using. I followed the ubuntu
directions in the getting started guide. I do have the new board rev
though.
When I get a chance I will add a fan and try to run a full HD movie.

Rob Clark

Jan 1, 2011, 7:50:28 PM1/1/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
ok, I think ubuntu x-loader should have the correct power settings..
But I think ubuntu kernel also has no power management enabled. The
good news, power management will help. The bad news, worst case load
will probably still be generating some heat if you don't have any
thermal management. I guess not as much, since smart reflex and
things like that help even if all the cores are max'd out, but there
are plenty of others who know the power management stuff better than I
do. Airflow, or something to wick heat away to where there is airflow
would be a good thing. Not putting the omap near something else that
is generating a lot of heat probably helps. A fan could help.. but
really should not be necessary. The sort of devices that omap4 is
going into don't have fans.

BR,
-R

Xianghua Xiao

Jan 2, 2011, 2:12:45 PM1/2/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

can't imagine you need a fan inside a tablet, in that case I would
prefer a fanless 720p instead.