ubuntu-omap4-extras in oneiric (11.10)

E V

Oct 4, 2011, 7:02:24 AM10/4/11
to pandaboard
Hi there,

I have recently received my PandaBoard. Mainly I want to use it for
video playback, using gstreamer. Have been working with a clone of
BeagleBoard (IGEPv2 board) but now I want to play 1080p videos (With
IGEPv2 only 720p can be achieved).

Let's go into topic:

I downloaded Pre-Built Binaries of Linaro, but got some trouble with
the display (LG Flatron M227WDP) using HDMI port, so I tried again
using ubuntu (I know it is pretty much the same) daily builds. I have
now Oneiric Ocelot (11.10) for OMAP4 (Texas Instruments OMAP4
preinstalled desktop image) installed in a SD card, and it is working.
I have added TI repository for ubuntu-omap4-extras, and installed it.
Installed also gstreamer, gstreamer-tools and some plugins. Problem is
that reproducing trailers (1080p) form apple is not working completely
ok. Some frames lost, some glitches... I downloaded the movies (at
both 1080p/720p) but can't play, movie player complains about plugins.
I have to remake the pipelines I used with gstreamer in IGEPv2 board,
since I used TIDmaiVideoSink, wich I suppose will not be available.
So, the question is, is there any playback that uses gstreamer
hardware-codecs? or should i stick to the use of gstreamer directly?

And another question: in the IGEPv2 board, I used TIDmaiVideoSink in
FB1 framebuffer. In fact, in the start, fb1 was configured and the
user only saw what I put in fb1, be it gstreamer playing videos or
static images (which i wrote pixel by pixel in the fb memory). Can
this be made in the same way in PandaBoard?

I am pretty new both to arm-based boards and linux (The development
in the beagle clone was my first project involving the use of linux
and this kind of boards, and was also the first for the company i work
in) so if there is any good source of info about this board appart
from omappedia and pandaboard.org, I will appreciate much if someone
points it.

And lastly, please forgive the mistakes in my writing. I am not
english speaker, and despite of the fact that always try to improve my
skills, I know that I have a long way before I can write it without
many flaws.

Thanks in advance

Dechesne, Nicolas

Oct 4, 2011, 9:28:38 AM10/4/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM, E V <evia...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

we haven't released the gst plugins for OMAP4 in the PPA for oneiric. If you read my message a couple of days ago for a status on where we are.

http://groups.google.com/group/pandaboard/browse_thread/thread/b2b004458bd794c3

so at this point you are using s/w decoder with no h/w acceleration. so you can expect a high CPU load and glitches ;-)

I downloaded the movies (at
both 1080p/720p) but can't play, movie player complains about plugins.
I have to remake the pipelines I used with gstreamer in IGEPv2 board,
since I used TIDmaiVideoSink, wich I suppose will not be available.
So, the question is, is there any playback that uses gstreamer
hardware-codecs? or should i stick to the use of gstreamer directly?

it will be available soon in the PPA. we are going to use gst-ducati and libDCE to 'talk' with the Ducati h/w acceleration. it's indeed a different solution from what you have used in the past. for rendering we are going to introduce a new gst sink, called pvrvideosink that will takes the output of the decoder and get it displayed (color conversion and scaling done on the GPU).

And another question: in the IGEPv2 board, I used TIDmaiVideoSink in
FB1 framebuffer. In fact, in the start, fb1 was configured and the
user only saw what I put in fb1, be it gstreamer playing videos or
static images (which i wrote pixel by pixel in the fb memory). Can
this be made in the same way in PandaBoard?

 I am pretty new both to arm-based boards and linux (The development
in the beagle clone was my first project involving the use of linux
and this kind of boards, and was also the first for the company i work
in) so if there is any good source of info about this board appart
from omappedia and pandaboard.org, I will appreciate much if someone
points it.

these are supposed to be the best place to get started. you might want to check linaro as well.

 And lastly, please forgive the mistakes in my writing. I am not
english speaker, and despite of the fact that always try to improve my
skills, I know that I have a long way before I can write it without
many flaws.

i didn't even notice ... granted that I am not native English myself ;-)

 Thanks in advance

E V

Oct 4, 2011, 10:52:23 AM10/4/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com

2011/10/4 Dechesne, Nicolas <n-dec...@ti.com>

we haven't released the gst plugins for OMAP4 in the PPA for oneiric. If you read my message a couple of days ago for a status on where we are.

http://groups.google.com/group/pandaboard/browse_thread/thread/b2b004458bd794c3

so at this point you are using s/w decoder with no h/w acceleration. so you can expect a high CPU load and glitches ;-)

First of all, sorry, I have not read all the messages yet. Silly of me, I have started with the first messages, but many of them are probably obsolete by now. I will start reading backwards :)

I thought (In fact, I was almost sure to have read) that the linaro/ubuntu images came already with hardware acceleration. Is that so with the beta images? Or still the beta images came without gst-ducati and DCE support? I am sorry, but i am not sure of having understood that in the message you pointed.