Working Custom Kernel - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Scott Miller

May 13, 2012, 4:06:11 PM5/13/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I am trying build my own kernel for the Pandaboard ES. I have tried multiple configurations and kernel versions with the same result. Every kernel that I build stops booting immediately after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." The following are a few of the examples that I have followed TO THE LETTER:
I have also pulled the latest Ubuntu 12.04 kernel sources and built using the configuration that is in the boot directory of the latest Pandaboard 12.04 image.

I get the same result with EVERY single kernel that I build.  I have even used the prebuilt Ubuntu kernel and the Pandaboard validation kernel with my U-Boot and MLO and they both worked correctly.

What am I doing wrong when I build my kernel? Is there some extra step I need? I just "configure" (or use and existing configuration) and "make" (with the correct ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE) and then copy to the SD card's boot partition right? Same as a Beagleboard, right? Would using a different cross compiler work? I'm currently using one created with OpenEmbedded.

Pavol Cupka

May 16, 2012, 5:22:05 PM5/16/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
hi,

try this tutorial

http://morschi.com/2011/11/13/up-to-date-kernel-for-pandaboard/

you have to make sure that the needed modules are either built-in or use initrd, i have a pandaboard (not ES), but this works for me.

palica