Retro palmz

Alex Zolotov

Nov 24, 2009, 11:54:45 PM11/24/09
to PalmSounds
Hi all!

How about old PalmOS 3.x devices? :) I have a Palm M105. And i dont want to throw this out :)
I think about soldering the jack 3.5 connector to it. For example, this device can play 8 KHz sampled sound. So i can use it as minimalist 8-bit pocket synth, like a GameBoy.

Here is M105 specs:
CPU: Motorola EZ Dragonball 16 MHz.
Memory: 8 megabytes.
Screen: 160x160 with 16 scales of gray.
Communication: serial port + infrared.

palms...@googlemail.com

Nov 25, 2009, 5:40:43 AM11/25/09
to PalmSounds
Sounds great Alex, I think I've got s few old Palm III's as well. What
software were you thinking of using on your M105?

Alex Zolotov

Nov 25, 2009, 11:53:10 AM11/25/09
to palms...@googlegroups.com
I thinking about some simple experimental programs writen from scratch :)

palms...@googlemail.com

Nov 25, 2009, 12:21:27 PM11/25/09
to PalmSounds
Sounds really interesting Alex, what sort of things are you looking to
accomplish?

On Nov 25, 4:53 pm, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thinking about some simple experimental programs writen from scratch :)
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM, palmsou...@googlemail.com <

Alex Zolotov

Nov 25, 2009, 11:26:02 PM11/25/09
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Something like ambient machine :)  for realtime noise/glitches generation. I think, such device will be useful for live performance.

palms...@googlemail.com

Nov 26, 2009, 5:58:58 AM11/26/09
to PalmSounds
I think that something like that would be fantastic running on old
palm hardware. I guess you'd have to mod the audio output as most of
those older devices had tiny little speakers and no jack output.

On Nov 26, 4:26 am, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Something like ambient machine :)  for realtime noise/glitches generation. I
> think, such device will be useful for live performance.
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM, palmsou...@googlemail.com <

palms...@googlemail.com

Dec 1, 2009, 9:17:23 AM12/1/09
to PalmSounds
Hi Alex, any news on your Palm OS 3 software?

On Nov 26, 10:58 am, "palmsou...@googlemail.com"

Alex Zolotov

Dec 1, 2009, 11:51:33 PM12/1/09
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Yea. I bought batteries for my m105 :)  And installed C/C++ compilers. Now trying to write simple audio application with the Javu audio driver. Javu is nice - with this driver i can play sampled sound on Palm IIIx (and on later PalmOS 3.x models). Not sure about more old Palm devices (like Palm III), may be someone can test it.
Unfortunately, i can find Javu in the Net, and its official site is not available. But i found it on my old CD with software backups :)

Alex Zolotov

Dec 2, 2009, 12:05:27 AM12/2/09
to palms...@googlegroups.com
My current target - devices with MC68EZ328 processor.

palms...@googlemail.com

Dec 31, 2009, 12:09:47 PM12/31/09
to PalmSounds
Alex, how's the retro palm stuff coming along? Any clues as to what
you might release?

On Dec 2, 5:05 am, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My current target - devices with MC68EZ328 processor.
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM, palmsou...@googlemail.com <

Alex Zolotov

Jan 2, 2010, 7:29:32 AM1/2/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Sorry, no news yet. I got full documentation on CPU and began to make own audio-driver. But at the moment i switched to new releases of SunVox and Pixilang.

Alex.

palms...@googlemail.com

Jan 28, 2010, 7:45:21 PM1/28/10
to PalmSounds
Just thought I'd check if there was any news Alex?

On Jan 2, 12:29 pm, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry, no news yet. I got full documentation on CPU and began to make own
> audio-driver. But at the moment i switched to new releases of SunVox and
> Pixilang.
>
> Alex.
>

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM, palmsou...@googlemail.com <

Alex Zolotov

Jan 28, 2010, 11:00:20 PM1/28/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, not yet. Now i rewriting the SunVox sound engine - it is huge but necessary task.

palms...@googlemail.com

Mar 17, 2010, 5:54:18 PM3/17/10
to PalmSounds
Hi Alex, any news on the retro stuff? How's the sunvox engine going?

On Jan 29, 4:00 am, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, not yet. Now i rewriting the SunVox sound engine - it is huge but
> necessary task.
>

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM, palmsou...@googlemail.com <

Alex Zolotov

Mar 18, 2010, 12:20:08 AM3/18/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
No news about the retro stuff, sorry. But SunVox is on the latest development stage. I plan to release it in this month.

Palm Sounds

Mar 18, 2010, 7:07:38 AM3/18/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
What will the new version bring?

Visit the Palm Sounds blog for regular information:
http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/

--
Palm Sounds:
http://the-palm-sound.blogspot.com/

Alex Zolotov

Mar 18, 2010, 7:42:05 AM3/18/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
At least color selection for synths and export to MIDI :)

Jukka

Mar 22, 2010, 11:27:16 AM3/22/10
to PalmSounds

Hi,

I tried to send earlier today but not sure if my message ever get
anywhere (if the first one is moderated,
please just destroy this one, I use Opera browser and sometimes
messages in some forums
it doesn't simply not work). This realtime retro-ambient machine is an
excellent idea, I just wanted to offer
my help, I've coded much but I'm not good at it, but I'm willing to
help any possible way, with documentation
or anything. Below is a link to a short example MP3 I coded yesterday
by Plua, it is a newer
Palm, Zire 31, samples works nicely in three channels (only two is in
use in the example).
Plua works in Palm OS 3.5 but probably it is not able to play samples
(not sure, I will try).
Here's a link:

http://wrytings.wippiespace.com/shorties/palmfx01.mp3

Thanks !

-Jukka

On 18 maalis, 13:42, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At least color selection for synths and export to MIDI :)

Jukka

Mar 22, 2010, 10:19:09 AM3/22/10
to PalmSounds

On Mar 18, 1:42 pm, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At least color selection for synths and export to MIDI :)

Jukka

Mar 22, 2010, 7:03:39 AM3/22/10
to PalmSounds

Hi,

This is really interesting, looking forward to see and hear, ambient
realtime
glitch/noise retro-Palm-machine, an excellent idea ! I would like to

offer my help, I've

coded a bit but not that much it would be any help (I assume), but I'm
willing to
help any other way, with documentation or else. Below is a link to a
small example
(less than 30 seconds), I've written it with Plua, it is a little
sampler playing
a set of short sound clips, the machine is newer, Palm Zire 31 (the
Plua
should work in Palm OS 3.5 too)

http://wrytings.wippiespace.com/shorties/palmfx01.mp3

-Jukka

On Mar 18, 1:42 pm, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At least color selection for synths and export to MIDI :)

Alex Zolotov

Mar 24, 2010, 2:05:14 AM3/24/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Jukka,
nice sound. But i'm not sure about such sound on PalmOS 3.x with Plua.
At the moment i know only one PCM audio driver for old PalmOS devices - it is the Javu. But it is not ideal. I think we can try to disassemble the Javu and make more powerfull version. Another variant - contact with the authors of the driver and ask them the sources.
Alex.

Jukka

Mar 24, 2010, 7:36:08 AM3/24/10
to PalmSounds

Hi Alex,

Thanks ! It just a short example, it wouldn't work in PalmOS 3.x, I'm
quite
sure of it, don't remember now what documentation says, Plua works in
3.0 -> but WAV-player probably not. You've sent me Javu, I opened
the .zip
again to check if there's any contact information, I can contact with
the
author's and ask them the sources, the site works (http://
www.focv.com/),
but haven't yet checked it. If you've any contact info, just send to
me and
I will write them.

Have you ever tried PocketC, I bought the license yesterday, it also
have
a soundlib, haven't yet checked if it works in older PalmOS but I
think
it was open source. Nice language, quite fast, easy to write, vontains
both onboard and desktop compilers.

Thanks Alex !

-Jukka

ps. Do you still have the ZX Spectrum 48 emulator for Palm, I tried to
find
it few weeks ago but the link was broken.

palms...@googlemail.com

Apr 8, 2010, 8:47:45 AM4/8/10
to PalmSounds
How is this going guys? Looks like you've got a lot of stuff moving
now, but things seem to have gone quiet

Alex Zolotov

Apr 8, 2010, 9:12:17 AM4/8/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
I got disassembled Javu sources: http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/temp/code0000.bin.s
And now i trying to understand, how interrupt handler is working. It is the heart of sound engine.

Alex Zolotov

Apr 15, 2010, 5:50:06 AM4/15/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
The first "sound check" application is almost done :)

Jukka

Apr 15, 2010, 6:06:31 AM4/15/10
to PalmSounds
Alex,

Sounds great, look forward, are you using m105, if it works only in
it, I need to quickly order
one from eBay !

-Jukka

Alex Zolotov

Apr 15, 2010, 6:42:07 AM4/15/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
I use m105.
But also this software should run on following devices:

Palm IIIx
Palm IIIe
Palm V
Palm VII
Handspring Visor
Handspring Visor Deluxe
Handspring Visor Prism
Handspring Visor Platinum
Handspring Visor Edge
Handspring Visor Neo
Handspring Visor Pro
Handspring Treo 90
Handspring Treo 180
Handspring Treo 270
Handspring Treo 300
Palm IIIxe
Palm IIIc
Palm Vx
Palm VIIx
Palm m100
Palm m105
Palm m125
Palm m130
Palm m500
Palm m505
Palm m515
Palm i705
Sony Clie (not T series) with Motorola CPU.

Alex Zolotov

Apr 15, 2010, 2:32:26 PM4/15/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Here is my first experiment:
Of course, it is lo-fi. But it is real PCM sound! Not just the 1-bit beeps :)

Jukka

Apr 16, 2010, 2:56:31 AM4/16/10
to PalmSounds
Alex,

This sounds wonderful, it is really real PCM, not 1-bit stuff. How did
you this,
I can't hear any difference with newer Palm's, like my Zire 31. Anyway
I'm going
to test with my Vx, let's see if it works with it, I let you know.

-Jukka

Jukka

Apr 16, 2010, 5:57:54 AM4/16/10
to PalmSounds
Alex,

I tried with Palm Vx, works perfectly !!!

-Jukka

On Apr 16, 9:56 am, Jukka <jkervi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> This sounds wonderful, it is really real PCM, not 1-bit stuff. How did
> you this,
> I can't hear any difference with newer Palm's, like my Zire 31. Anyway
> I'm going
> to test with my Vx, let's see if it works with it, I let you know.
>
> -Jukka
>
> On Apr 15, 9:32 pm, Alex Zolotov <nightra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok. Here is my first experiment:http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/palm/nedosound/
> > Of course, it is lo-fi. But it is real PCM sound! Not just the 1-bit beeps
> > :)

Alex Zolotov

Apr 16, 2010, 6:05:12 AM4/16/10
to palms...@googlegroups.com