Family seeking justice lives in open ground under the sky in Islamabad

Safeer Ullah Khan

May 26, 2010, 7:26:43 AM5/26/10
to pak-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

I have recently met a family (two young men, 4 women and a 4 years old child Babar Ali) living in open ground for past 70 days. They have come all the way from District Ghotki seeking justice. One of the ladies in the group (Haleema Bhutto) has been declared ‘kari’ by her husband. She could be killed anytime. Her crime is that she is in the possession of 8 acres of agricultural land, which her husband wants to sell, but she does not want to sell it. As Haleema was declared ‘kari’, she took refuge with her brothers – Abdul Qayoom and Abdul Ghaffar. It led to an enmity between her brother and her in laws. Her brother’s land, house and other belongings have been taken over by her husband, who has strong support of influential persons of the area. They managed to register an FIR against the culprits, but the police have made no efforts to arrest the culprits. Now Haleema Bhutto and her brothers fear for their lives, and have come all the way to Islamabad to seek justice.

They are living in a ground under a shady tree near Islamabad Press Club. Their problems have been highlighted by the print and electronic media. Sharmeela Farooquee (Adviser to Chief Minister Sind) met them and requested them to move into a shelter house. Haleema and her brothers are not willing to move to shelter house or any crisis center. All they want is arrest of the culprits, but no political leader could promise that. They met another MNA Marvi Memon from PML – Q. Ms Memon took them to National Assembly where they met Khusheed Shah – Federal Minister for labour and man power. He wrote a letter to the concerned police officer to arrest the culprits, but the letter has produced no results so far. They were taken to the chamber of Fehmida Mirza  (Speaker National Assembly), but were insulted and turned back. They have lost all hope, but not their courage.

They are determined to continue with the protest in Islamabad, and would not go back to their native village. “If we go back, we would take a wrong message to our community. It would mean nothing can be done to stop oppressors in this country. We would continue with our struggle, and one day they would have to take notice. We have struggled for independent judiciary, now judges need to do what is due”, said Abdul Qayum. Four year old Babar said he had no problem with the protest, but he could not sleep well due to innumerable mosquitoes at night.

I gave him a tight hug and left. We may not be able to help arrest his tormentors, but it is good to sit with them and listen to their story. We can provide them with financial support, so that they can continue with their protest against oppression and insensitivity of the state institutions towards its weaker and vulnerable citizens.

Safeer Ullah Khan

Advocacy & Comm. Manager

Bedari - working with women and girls for their human rights

House 657, Street 75, Sector I-8/3

Islamabad, Pakistan

www.bedari.org.pk

Phone: Office: +92 51 4862877, +92 51 4862880

Cell: +92 333 5340993

Bedari is a national level humanitarian, women and girls' rights development organization without religious, political or governmental affiliations. Bedari works to eliminate violence against women. Bedari is founding member of AASHA – Alliance against Sexual Harassment at Work Place: www.aasha.org.pk