Web 200 Update

John Britton

Sep 29, 2010, 1:44:37 AM9/29/10
to P2PU School of Webcraft
Hey All,

I just can't get over how cool this is. I'm currently facilitating "Web 200: Anatomy of a Request." The course is about everything that happens from when you press go in your browser to seeing a page rendered on the screen.

So far, since we started at the beginning of September, I've given one reading and one assignment. The submissions to the first assignment "draw how the internet works" are in and they're awesome.

The participants come from all over the world, check out the introductions thread - http://groups.google.com/group/web-200-september-2010/browse_thread/thread/aa9cd2d63577c842

Enjoy!

--
contact info:
http://www.johndbritton.com

Philipp Schmidt

Sep 29, 2010, 1:57:05 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Love the pictures. Finally I understand how the Interent works. P

Hemanth H.M

Sep 29, 2010, 2:28:08 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Next up, is mashing up all these images, to really see how the 'web' looks ;) ?
--
'I am what I am because of who we all are'
h3manth.com

Pippa Buchanan

Sep 29, 2010, 6:22:06 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
They look so great John! what a great weekly assignment!

P*

Jordan McManus

Sep 29, 2010, 10:27:09 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Cool!

Soon you will all be able to see into the future :)    (no I'm not crazy)

Jordan

Edward Casabian

Sep 29, 2010, 9:40:47 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Just want to say that I am on this google group and although there is a large volume of email and sometimes I debate whether or not to unsubscribe, I never do because I am amazed and inspired but what all of you are doing!  I'm looking forward to taking a class!

Ed

Pippa B

Sep 29, 2010, 11:24:12 AM9/29/10
to P2PU School of Webcraft
Thank you. Our role is to amaze and inspire you (and help you learn
Webcraft). Hopefully you can take a class in January!

I think we all get a little overwhelmed by the volume of email, even
if we have dedicated time to the project! You might want to setup a
daily digest of the list - it will reduce the volume significantly!

On Sep 29, 3:40 pm, Edward Casabian <edward.casab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just want to say that I am on this google group and although there is a
> large volume of email and sometimes I debate whether or not to unsubscribe,
> I never do because I am amazed and inspired but what all of you are doing!
>  I'm looking forward to taking a class!
>
> Ed
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Pippa Buchanan <Pippa.Bucha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > They look so great John! what a great weekly assignment!
>
> > P*
>
> > On 29 September 2010 08:28, Hemanth H.M <hemanth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Next up, is mashing up all these images, to really see how the 'web' looks
> >> ;) ?

> >> --
> >> *'I am what I am because of who we all are'*
> >> h3manth.com <http://www.h3manth.com>
> >> *-- Hemanth HM *
>
> --
> Ed Casabian
> (617) 697-8586
>
> I live in a different neighborhood every weekhttp://thenycnomad.tumblr.comhttp://www.twitter.com/thenycnomad
> 'Like' on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-NYC-Nomad/113216338697761?ref=ts>
>
> http://twitter.com/casabian

Edward Casabian

Sep 29, 2010, 11:27:13 AM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
I have a good filter :) but the digest makes sense...thanks!

Alexander Halavais

Sep 29, 2010, 12:06:13 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
John,

This is a great assignment! I absolutely will steal it. But I also
(without wanting to throw a wet blanket on it) am curious about the
posting. You've--I assume by default--CC licensed their work. Are the
participants cool with that, and do they know enough to know if they
are cool with that?

(This gets to the attachments issue, too. There are advantages to
putting stuff out there and not centralizing. If students are creating
visual work--things like this or wireframes or what-have-you--having
them put it up on their own flickr accounts and then providing the URL
provides a few things. It puts SOW work out there in a way that will
raise awareness for the School, it provides them a chance to share
their work transparently (if they want to) and to license it as they
choose. And there are other ancillary advantages.)

Sorry if I'm overanalyzing. None of this takes away from the
fundamental interestingness of their work and of your assignment.

- Alex

//
// This email is
// [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
// http://alex.halavais.net
//

Atul Varma

Sep 29, 2010, 12:37:08 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
This is really cool!

Have you guys ever considered making a monthy or quarterly newsletter or gallery that just shows off some of the best work done by students?  Pippa's examples of applications for her class and this post from John would be great for such a thing, and I think that a lot of folks on the outer edges of SoW--such as Mozilla folks who are interested in SoW but don't have the mental bandwidth to deal with this list--could find it useful, and it could function as a lever to get them more involved.

- Atul

Pippa Buchanan

Sep 29, 2010, 12:48:15 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
great idea Atul! I think a newsletter is a great idea.

I've also been speaking with Jay Patel at Mozilla Developer's Network about a gallery for outstanding projects developed within SoW.

John Britton

Sep 29, 2010, 10:47:25 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

You make great points.

I notified all of the participants that I was posting them, and there were no qualms. Re: CC-BY-SA, that's the default for submitting content to P2PU.

I wanted to be as practical as possible so I didn't require them to create flickr accounts but I wanted to put all the images in one place. I'm still planning on adding all of the proper attribution once I have a free moment.

Cheers,
John

John Britton

Sep 29, 2010, 10:48:41 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
@Atul - Philipp does a weekly P2PU status email, would be cool to roll those up into a less frequent newsletter to be distributed with the greatest highlights of P2PU.

Stian Håklev

Sep 29, 2010, 11:50:15 PM9/29/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
Atul,
absolutely. In fact, in our original design documents for the website, which we did at our community in Berlin almost a year ago, we envisaged a much more dynamic frontpage than what we currently have, with boxes highlighting great "artefacts" created in courses (could be pictures, videos, essays, etc), as well as maybe "course of the week" etc. Dynamic content that keeps changing to make people keep coming back, and that showcases the great stuff that happens at P2PU. Needless to say we haven't quite gotten there yet, but I would love for us to develop something like that.

Stian
--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters

Matt Thompson

Oct 4, 2010, 12:31:55 PM10/4/10
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com, John Britton
Hey, all! I thought this thread was really inspiring, so just posted about it for Planet Webcraft:

“Draw how the Internet works”

@Stian: love the idea of galleries to show off great classwork. In the interim, I've encourage people to post those artefacts and highlights on Planet Webcraft as an easy first step. Does that sound right?

--Matt

John Britton

Oct 4, 2010, 12:35:52 PM10/4/10
to Matt Thompson, p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt,

That's a great blog post. Happy to see that others are enjoying the course as well.