Lonely planet in the Wonderland

Mingli Yuan

Jun 27, 2011, 2:28:33 PM6/27/11
to p2pu-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks.

I am a newbie for p2pu, I was a graduate student from Mathematics department and am now a Web developer.

You may feel confused for the title of this post. Yes, I confirm it is about a lonely planet in the Wonderland.

Recent years many planet were founded outside our solar system, people are also talking about Goldilocks planets in our galaxy. We all know binary star are very common in the universe, then I have a question: how about a planet orbit with binary stars? what will the aliens see on that planet? How about the whether on the planet?
(Are you crazy? Don't worry about the topic, be humor)

Yes, this is not a good scientific question; Yes, this is likely from a fiction. But please see below photos first, and I will make more explanation later:
Yes, I simulate such a situation on my computer by using JavaScript and HTML5.
But my goal is not about the result of the simulation, it is about an opportunity for learning.

So my real questions are:
  • Are such kind of simulations a good scenario for student to learn Mathematics and programming?
  • If they are, can I setup a small project in p2pu for people who want to learn by such a simulation?
I had worked on this idea for three weeks, but now I am pending for more feedback from friends.

So what is your opinion for this crazy idea? I want hear from you. Thanks.

Regards.

Mingli

Maria Droujkova

Jun 30, 2011, 4:05:44 PM6/30/11
to p2pu-ma...@googlegroups.com
Mingli,

This looks like a neat project for a short working group - maybe two or three weeks. Can you sketch some activities and learning goals for it?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math.