*This is a long mail - but if you're interested in joining us un Berlin in
July, it's important that you read it all. Process, planning and deadlines
are all detailed below...*
P2PU is going back to Berlin! Since we like this city so much, and seem to
get good work done there, we've decided to set up a temporary office in
Berlin in July 2012. Isn't that just the most exciting thing you've heard
all week? Thought so.
*Why are we doing this?*
- When you put smart and committed people into a room with each other
great things will happen
- We are an extremely virtual organization - but some things are easier,
faster, more fun in the real world
- We can't afford to hire dozens of people, but we can provide a space
for the community to come together and build the future of education
- We have lots of projects, ideas, plans - we want to move faster
*How will it work?*
- The core P2PU office time will be July 2012, in a location still to be
confirmed. Core staff will be there during this time, some will be there
for a few days on either side.
- We have an open door policy - anyone can come and work on P2PU!
- For those who need help getting to Berlin or a place to stay, we're
offering a limited number of Berlin Fellowships.
What is included?
- A place to work and free meals.
- Shared accommodation for free. If you can't stay in shared
accommodation, let's figure something out that could work for you.
- Help with (economy class) travel for those who need it.
- In some cases, the fellowship may not cover 100% of your costs, but
we'll try to make it work on a case by case basis
*Who can come?*
- Anyone committed to working on P2PU (but if we have too many
applications - we may not be able to bring everyone)
- Minimum time in Berlin to qualify for the fellowship is 2 weeks
- For those who need travel support, a longer commitment will justify a
larger fellowship grant
*How can you apply?*
- Pick a project you want to work on!
- There are some ideas on this etherpad, but you are totally free to
come up with your own project: http://pad.p2pu.org/p/summer-projects
- Discuss your project idea with a P2PU community member and ask them to
write you a reference.
- Send your application to Bekka (be...@p2pu.org) which includes:
- Your name
- What has been your involvement in P2PU in the past?
- What is your project? What will you be working on in Berlin?
- What will you achieve / complete during your time in Berlin?
- What skills can you offer?
- How long you will stay (dates)?
- Will you stay in shared accommodation, or provide your own?
- Where are you traveling from?
- (Include the reference)
*How do we choose who gets the fellowship?*
- A review group made up of 2 staff members and 2 volunteer members
makes recommendations (and our Executive Director makes the final call) on
the basis of the following:
- Track record in the community
- Quality of the proposal
- Skills and expertise
- Length of stay
*What's the deadline and general timeline?*
- 1 April - application deadline (no joke!)
- 1 April - 15 April: Review applications
- 15 April - 1 May: Confirm attendance
- 1 May: All travel booked
*There will be further discussion about this in this week's Community Call,
so if you have questions, feel free to add them to the call agenda. *
*You can also look at the Berlin planning etherpad, which has a discussion
section near the bottom of the pad - http://pad.p2pu.org/p/berlin*