MODERATE MUSLIMS PLENTIFUL

1 view

GATORPOP

Feb 22, 2007, 8:46:10 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
I have complained for years that if there are moderate Muslims, they
are not speaking out.

Well, they certainly are speaking out on the internet. Here is one
major example:

*****************

FATWA AGAINST TERRORISM

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

U.S. MUSLIM RELIGIOUS COUNCIL ISSUES FATWA AGAINST TERRORISM

The Fiqh Council of North America wishes to reaffirm Islam's absolute
condemnation of terrorism and religious extremism.

Islam strictly condemns religious extremism and the use of violence
against innocent lives. There is no justification in Islam for
extremism or terrorism. Targeting civilians' life and property through
suicide bombings or any other method of attack is haram - or forbidden
- and those who commit these barbaric acts are criminals, not
"martyrs."

The Qur'an, Islam's revealed text, states: "Whoever kills a person
[unjustly]...it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever
saves a life, it is as though he had saved all mankind." (Qur'an,
5:32)

Prophet Muhammad said there is no excuse for committing unjust acts:
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others
treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you
will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if
people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil." (Al-
Tirmidhi)

God mandates moderation in faith and in all aspects of life when He
states in the Qur'an: "We made you to be a community of the middle
way, so that (with the example of your lives) you might bear witness
to the truth before all mankind." (Qur'an, 2:143)

In another verse, God explains our duties as human beings when he
says: "Let there arise from among you a band of people who invite to
righteousness, and enjoin good and forbid evil." (Qur'an, 3:104)

Islam teaches us to act in a caring manner to all of God's creation.
The Prophet Muhammad, who is described in the Qur'an as "a mercy to
the worlds" said: "All creation is the family of God, and the person
most beloved by God (is the one) who is kind and caring toward His
family."

In the light of the teachings of the Qur'an and Sunnah we clearly and
strongly state:

1. 1. All acts of terrorism targeting civilians are haram (forbidden)
in Islam.
2. 2. It is haram for a Muslim to cooperate with any individual or
group that is involved in any act of terrorism or violence.
3. 3. It is the civic and religious duty of Muslims to cooperate with
law enforcement authorities to protect the lives of all civilians.

We issue this fatwa following the guidance of our scripture, the
Qur'an, and the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad - peace be upon him.
We urge all people to resolve all conflicts in just and peaceful
manners.

We pray for the defeat of extremism and terrorism. We pray for the
safety and security of our country, the United States, and its people.
We pray for the safety and security of all inhabitants of our planet.
We pray that interfaith harmony and cooperation prevail both in the
United States and all around the globe.

FIQH COUNCIL OF NORTH AMERICA July 28, 2005

MEMBERS OF THE FIQH COUNCIL OF NORTH AMERICA

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi,

Chairman Dr. Deina Abdulkadir

Shaikh Muhammad Nur Abdallah

Dr. Taha Jabir Alalwani

Shaikh Muhammad Al-Hanooti

Shaikhah Zainab Alwani

Dr. Jamal Badawi

Dr. Ihsan Bagby

Dr. Nazih Hammad

Shaikh Yahya Hindi

Dr. Abdul Hakim Jackson

Dr. Mukhtar Maghraoui

Dr. Akbar Muhammad

Shaikh Hassan Qazwini

Dr. Zulfiqar Ali Shah

Dr. Muhammad Adam

Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Shleibak

Dr. Salah Soltan

ENDORSED BY THE FOLLOWING NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:

Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)

Muslim American Society (MAS)

Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC)

Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA)

Mosque Cares, Imam W D Muhammad

Muslim Student Association of the US & Canada (MSA)

Association of Muslim Social Scientists

American Federation of Muslims of Indian Origin

American Muslim Alliance

Association of Muslim Scientists and Engineers

Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations

Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America

Islamic Networks Group & Affiliates

Islamic Resource Group

Islamic Schools League of America

Islamic Sharia Advisory Institute of North America

Kashmiri American Council

Latino American Dawah Organization

Minaret of Freedom Institute

Muslim Ummah of North America

Project Islamic HOPE

United Muslims of America

USA Halal Chamber of Commerce, Inc & The Islamic Center for Halal
Certification

ENDORSED BY THE FOLLOWING MOSQUES AND ISLAMIC CENTERS

<snip> Huge list of Mosques omitted

I knew about CAIR, but had no idea there were another 20+ moderate
organizations--each with a website, I presume.

I listed the 18 Muslim Clerics who issued the Fatwa for a reason. By
permitting their names to be published, each of them has become a
target for terrorists along with their families. I appreciate their
moderation and admire their bravery.

This post happens to be from muslimbridges.org --and I recommend this
site highly. It is very professional and just packed with
information.

GP

cheech

Feb 22, 2007, 9:05:00 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
GP, wrote: I knew about CAIR, but had no idea there were another 20+

moderate
organizations--each with a website, I presume.

GP, are you saying you believe CAIR is a moderate organization????

Kay

Feb 22, 2007, 9:13:50 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum

On Feb 22, 8:46 am, "GATORPOP" <cly...@cyberstreet.com> wrote:
> The Qur'an, Islam's revealed text, states: "Whoever kills a person
> [unjustly]...it is as though he has killed all mankind.

I especially like this part. Unjustly?

> We issue this fatwa following the guidance of our scripture, the
> Qur'an, and the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad - peace be upon him.

I think they issue it in defiance of the teachings.

(I am not complaining; I'm glad they did it - but I'm not buying the
premise because they are taught that any non-muslim - especially Jews
and Christians - are enemies of Allah and must be either subdued or
destroyed.)

Rebel

Feb 22, 2007, 9:47:26 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Kay, you are treading deep water here, As I made a point a short while
ago, You have to distinguish between what factions you are talking
about. If you had followed Elle, and myself in this discussion, you
would have noticed that there are many branches just like in the
christian beliefs there are off shoots. Yes the koran says a lot of
things, but it is so complicated that even Muslims have a problem
understanding the Koran. The Koran in its teachings are not much
different than our own Bible, But you need to read the dead sea
scrolls to start to understand how much our own bible has changed.

Rebel

Kay

Feb 22, 2007, 10:03:36 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum

On Feb 22, 9:47 am, "Rebel" <grahamch...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Kay, you are treading deep water here, As I made a point a short while
> ago, You have to distinguish between what factions you are talking
> about. If you had followed Elle, and myself in this discussion, you
> would have noticed that there are many branches just like in the
> christian beliefs there are off shoots.

All the branches have the same scripture, though.
It clearly and repeatedly lays out what should be done with Allah's
enemies.

Rebel

Feb 22, 2007, 10:19:52 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Glad to see you read the small print, but then you are a lawyer no?

Rebs

Kay

Feb 22, 2007, 10:37:29 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum

On Feb 22, 10:19 am, "Rebel" <grahamch...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Glad to see you read the small print, but then you are a lawyer no?

No - engineer by degree, but I have not worked in 16 years. I am a
domestic goddess now. smile.
It seems these groups are overrun with engineers.

> Rebs

Rebel

Feb 22, 2007, 10:43:14 AM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
The Relationship between Islam and "Peace" (Salaam)

Perhaps the best way to begin a discussion of the relationship between
Islam and peace and security is to deal with a statement that is heard
often these days: "Islam means peace." If the one making this
statement means that the actual meaning of the word "Islam" is
"peace," then this is definitely wrong. It is true that the word
Islam and the Arabic word for peace (salaam) both come from the same
root. This demonstrates that there is going to be a relationship
between the two. It is vitally important to understand what that
relationship is and how that relationship occurs.

The word "Islam" is the verbal noun of the verb aslama. This verb is
defined as, "He resigned or submitted himself." When used with
respect to God, it means, "He became submissive to God."[1] Thus,
Islam is about an individual recognizing who his Lord is and
recognizing that his attitude toward his Lord and Creator should be
one of submission and worship.

This understanding of what the word Islam means is vital for
understanding the relationship between Islam and peace. Islam, the
submission to God, is what leads to true peace. True peace-both
internally and externally-can only be the result of the correct
implementation of Islam. Of course, what is meant here is not simply
peace as in "an absence of a state of war." Peace means much more
than that. One can be free of war yet still suffer from anxiety or
despair and lack peace. Here, it is referring to a complete sense of
peace. Islam brings about a complete tranquility and peace of mind
that is the result of realizing that one is believing and acting in
accord with the guidance of one's Creator. This internal peace can
then spread to the family, the community, the society and the world as
a whole.[2] It is a special form of tranquility that can only be
produced by the proper belief in God. Hence, God says:

"Indeed, there has come to you from God a Light and a clear Book
wherewith God guides all those who seek His Good Pleasure to ways of
peace, and He brings them out of darkness by His Will unto light and
guides them to a Straight Way" (Quran 5:15-16)

In fact, God is calling humans to the abode of eternal peace:

"God calls to the home of peace (Paradise) and guides whom He wills to
a Straight Path" (Quran 10:25)

For those who follow this path, their ultimate reward will be the
abode of peace:

"For them will be the home of peace (Paradise) with their Lord" (Quran
6:127)

In sum, it is not correct to say, "Islam means peace," but certainly
true peace comes only via Islam.
How Islam Brings About Peace

True and complete peace can only be had when the individuals
themselves achieve internal peace. This results from Islam or the
true submission to God alone. This is the only way of life consistent
with the nature of human beings. In fact, this is what can be called
the "true life." Thus, God says:

"O you who believe! Answer God (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger
when he calls you to that which will give you life" (Quran 8.24)

Knowing God is what can bring about true contentment in the soul. If
the individual does not know his Creator, his soul will always be
yearning for something that is missing in his life. He will always be
agitated and confused. If and when he seeks things other than God-
even things which he believes is his "god"-he will eventually end up
in despair when he realizes that all of the things that he seeks after
are not the one Being that his heart is yearning for.

Ibn Taimiyyah wrote:

You must know that a human's[3] need for God¾ that he worship Him and
not associate any partner with Him¾ is a need concerning which there
is no comparison that one can make an analogy to. In some matters, it
resembles the need of the body for food and drink. However, there are
many differences between the two.

The reality of a human being is in his heart and soul. These cannot
be prosperous except through [their relation] with God, concerning
whom there is no other god. There is[, for example,] no tranquility
in this world except in His remembrance. Verily, man is proceeding
toward his Lord and he shall meet Him. He must definitely meet Him.
There is no true goodness for him except in meeting Him.[4] If the
human experiences any pleasure or happiness other than in God, that
joy and happiness will not endure. It will move from one nature to
another or from one person to another. The person will enjoy it at
one time or only some of the time. In fact, sometimes the thing he
enjoys and gets pleasure from does not bring him pleasure or
enjoyment. Sometimes it even hurts him when it comes to him. And he
is even more harmed by that. But his God is definitely always with
him under every circumstance and at all times. Wherever he is, He is
with him [by His knowledge and aid]...

If someone worships anything other than God¾ even if he loves it and
attains some love in this world and some form of pleasure from that¾
[that false worship] will destroy the person in a way greater than the
harmful displeasure that comes to a person who ate poison...

You must know that if anyone loves something other than for the sake
of God, then that beloved thing will definitely be a cause of harm and
punishment... If somebody loves something other than for the sake of
God, that thing will harm him whether it is with him or he is without
it...[5]

All of the wealth and the goods of this world will not be able to
bring the human such true internal contentment. Abu Hurairah narrated
that the Prophet, may God praise him, said:

"True richness is not via much property and belongings but true
richness is in self-contentment."[6]

Another hadith states:

"True richness is the richness of the heart. True poverty is the
poverty of the heart."[7]

Once an individual is at peace with himself and free of any internal
agitations, he can then enter into truly peaceful relations with
others. He will have no reason to feel resentment towards the rest of
the world-those whom he may blame for his lack of internal peace. In
fact, since his goal is that of the Hereafter, he has no reason even
to feel envy or rage towards others concerning what they have received
in this world-while envy and rage strike at the very root of peaceful
relations towards others.

goozlefotz

Feb 22, 2007, 1:36:28 PM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Everybody loves engineers, because we are so civil!

Kay

Feb 22, 2007, 2:13:56 PM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum

On Feb 22, 1:36 pm, "goozlefotz" <grant...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Everybody loves engineers, because we are so civil!

Ha!
I'm a material(s) girl, myself.

> On Feb 22, 10:37 am, "Kay" <kaykay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 22, 10:19 am, "Rebel" <grahamch...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:> Glad to see you read the small print, but then you are a lawyer no?
>
> > No - engineer by degree, but I have not worked in 16 years. I am a
> > domestic goddess now. smile.
> > It seems these groups are overrun with engineers.
>

> > > Rebs- Hide quoted text -

Rebel

Feb 22, 2007, 2:24:00 PM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
G.P this is what I had posted in a previous post, I am glad you bought
it up again. I see Cheech is now taking over as the Muslim destroyer
on the foruim. I wish him luck. It is true that the Koran starts off
very peaceful and as it advances it goes into stronger language. What
Cheech is doing is to put across the negative side of Islam. I have
never known a Muslim to try to convert anyone to Islam, If anyone on
this forum knows other wise I would be interested to hear from them. I
have worked with Muslims for over twenty years, Never has one ever
even talked about his/her religion, Cheech prove me wrong.

Rebel

cheech

Feb 22, 2007, 2:41:51 PM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Try this out of the Philadelphia Inquirer:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/special_packages/sunday_review/15536020.htm

One Last Thing | 'Conversions' curiously hushedWhen two kidnapped
journalists were forced to embrace Islam, many should have protested.

By Jonathan Last
On Aug. 14, Steve Centanni, a Fox News reporter, and Olaf Wiig, his
cameraman, were traveling in Gaza City. A Mitsubishi stopped in front
of them. A pickup truck boxed them in from behind. Four men, three of
them masked, emerged from the Mitsubishi wielding pistols and
Kalashnikov rifles. They put guns to the journalists' heads, pulled
them out of their SUV and shoved them into the pickup's back seat.
When Wiig asked where they were going, he was told: "You're going to
hell."

Centanni and Wiig were brought to a tent where their hands were
painfully bound behind them with plastic ties. They were hooded,
blindfolded, and transferred to a dark garage. Whenever they tried to
talk, they were butted with guns. Eventually they were transferred to
a house, stripped of all possessions and given ill-fitting track
suits. Wiig was told Centanni was to be executed. Then, abruptly, on
Aug. 23, they were taken to the Gaza City Beach Hotel and set free.

You may be less familiar with the video released shortly before
Centanni and Wiig were let go. Five minutes and 23 seconds long, it
featured the two reading from scripts. They condemned the invasions of
Afghanistan and Iraq. Centanni said the West "should turn to the
purifying power of Islam" and asked that George Bush and Tony Blair
"open your minds to Islam."

Standard hostage fare. Less standard is when Centanni says: "My name
is Steve. I'm an American. After I entered Islam, I changed my name to
Khaled. I have embraced Islam and say the word Allah, and my leader is
the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him." Wiig makes a similar
declaration. Both had been converted. After his release, Centanni
said: "We were forced to convert to Islam at gunpoint... . It was
something we felt we had to do because they had guns."

> > GP- Hide quoted text -

Rebel

Feb 22, 2007, 3:01:37 PM2/22/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Cheech, just a sample of our own bible, Are we to cut and paste all
day.

Rebs

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ is quoted as saying that he had
come to bring the sword, to "set father against son and mother against
daughter" (Luke 12:53) and called on his followers to "But those mine
enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither,
and slay them before me" (Luke 19:27).

These words have, in the history of Christianity, been enacted in
bloody reality many times - starting when an important political
rebellion against the Roman Catholic Church took on a religious slant
- leading to the split in European Christendom between Catholic and
Protestant. This split sparked off a series of religious wars which
were ultimately to be responsible for the death of nearly a third of
the entire White race.