Speedboat Bluff in the Persian Gulf (In The Real World)

1 view

lew

Jan 9, 2008, 7:10:24 AM1/9/08
to P0liticalF0rum
townhall.com
By Austin Bay

Why would five Iranian speedboats bluff an attack on a U.S. Navy
squadron?

Start with a big fact: Under the mullah-led thieves' regime, Iran has
become an explosive political mix of ethnic, economic and ideological
fragments, a mosaic powder keg.

The Ayatollah Khomeini's 1979 Islamic Revolution failed, then
fossilized, leaving a corrupt junta of robed kleptocrats who use the
dictator's classic tools of murder, terror and economic favoritism to
control an impoverished, splintered and increasingly restless
populace.

Moreover, factions within the mullahs' hierarchy spar with one
another. Throwing a risky punch at the United States or Great Britain
serves two distinct purposes. Armed bravado directed at "the Great
Satan" and British imperialists appeals to Iranian nationalists -- at
least, it has in the past. Khomeinist radicals, like Iranian president
Mahmoud Amadinejad, contend that confrontation with the United States
also strengthens them.

The reasoning may appear convoluted, wickedly Byzantine, but if Iran's
domestic malaise continues to get worse, and domestic tensions seed
violent street demonstrations, the most radical Khomeinists apparently
believe dramatic attacks on U.S. forces -- such as the destruction of
a U.S. Navy capital warship -- enhance their political position. Their
willingness to run great risks demonstrates they are "the true
believers." An extended confrontation with the United States also
gives them the opportunity to portray their domestic opponents as
traitors -- and then kill them.

This week's round of Iranian "gunboat diplomacy" by five armed
Revolutionary Guards' speedboats fulfills both political purposes, and
comes as U.S. President George Bush prepares to visit the Middle East.
The incident echoes the March 2007 kidnapping of British sailors and
marines who were patrolling Iraqi waters in small, inflatable boats.

Both incidents fit into a consistent historical pattern, one the
American Enterprise Institute's Michael Ledeen believes the U.S.
government ignores at its own long-term peril. "It is never surprising
when the Iranians attack us," Ledeen told me the day after the
gunboats' display of moxie, "because they have been attacking us for
30 years."

The best long-term U.S. strategy is political and economic --
encouraging an active domestic political opposition to Iran's clever
religious leaders while whittling away at the clerics' graft-crammed
Swiss bank accounts. This incremental strategy, however, takes time
and perseverance.

Could Revolutionary Guard speedboats sink an American warship? A
suicidal zealot in an explosive-packed Boghammer could zig-zag his way
through U.S. defenses, particularly if his boat was one of several in
a "swarm." Drop the analytic resolution from the "macro" strategic
political view to the "micro" tactical military aspects of the
incident, and the Revolutionary Guards' naval action has all of the
elements of a "close-in probe" designed to test U.S. Navy reactions.
However, an American cruiser, destroyer and frigate deployed in a
flotilla are a very dangerous target -- nothing remotely comparable to
vulnerable British sailors in a rubber raft.

The deadly suicide boat attack on the destroyer USS Cole in October
2000, as it lay anchored in the port of Aden, Yemen, made "close in"
defense of U.S. warships a priority. The U.S. Navy began arming its
capital ships with .50 caliber heavy machineguns, assorted light
machineguns and 25 millimeter automatic cannons (like those mounted on
U.S. Army Bradley armored infantry vehicles). Crewmen also
occasionally deploy shoulder-fired Stinger anti-aircraft missiles
(another infantry weapon) as an additional defense against light, low-
flying airplanes (a Cessna on a suicide mission) or drone aircraft
carrying explosives

In June 2005, I spent three days on the cruiser USS Normandy, deployed
near Iraq's Al Basrah offshore oil terminal. The Normandy carries long-
range missiles, a modern naval cannon and electronics capable of
identifying targets hundreds of miles away. However, Iranian dhows
operating beyond the terminal's exclusion zone were the most immediate
threat, and the huge capital ship bristled with light automatic
weapons manned by sailors. After inspecting a 50 caliber mount, I
jokingly called the Normandy the "world's biggest PT boat." World War
II-era U.S. PT boats often fought Japanese barges and small craft up
close, infantry-like combat waged in shallow seas.

Naval mines are the real threat to big ships operating in the Persian
Gulf. A naval mine can break and sink a ship. But mines are material
things, deadly lumps without personality or religion. Sinking an
American destroyer with a mine lacks the brazen testosterone,
theological resolve and sensational media impact of a jihadist-manned
speedboat braving the hail of fire to slam into the arrogant infidel
warship's disintegrating armor.

Austin Bay Austin Bay is author of three novels. His third novel, The
Wrong Side of Brightness, was published by Putnam/Jove in June 2003.
He has also co-authored four non-fiction books, to include A Quick and
Dirty Guide to War: Third Edition (with James Dunnigan, Morrow, 1996).

Doc

Jan 9, 2008, 7:44:44 AM1/9/08
to P0liticalF0rum
THE MOSSADEGH PROJECT http://www.mohammadmossadegh.com/

"There is no better way to govern Iran than Democracy and Social
Justice!" -Mohammad Mossadegh

Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh (1882-1967) was a lawyer, professor, author,
Governor, Parliament member, Finance Minister, Foreign Minister, and
democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran.

Mossadegh fought both internal corruption and British colonialism,
enacted social reforms and nationalized the Iranian oil industry. In
1953, he was overthrown by a U.S. funded CIA coup, arrested and tried
as a traitor in military tribunal court. It was the CIA's first
successful dismantling of a foreign government, and Iran has not known
democracy since.

Links

Israel's The Jerusalem Post Features 'Rumor of the Century'
Article

What, no World War III? NIE Report Show Bush Lied About Iran-
Kucinich

CIA Director Michael Hayden Evades 1953 Coup Question [Audio +
Text]

Busted: FOX News Guest Caught Lying on National TV About 9/11
Roots

Scott Ritter Reverses on Iran's 'Map' Misquote Thanks to Mossadegh
Project

GANDHI and MOSSADEGH: Masculinity at Its Finest?

Alan Greenspan: "Iraq War Largely About Oil" - Full Text and
Context

Congressman Jim McDermott: Iraq / Iran Intervention "All About
Oil"

Congressman Jim Moran: AIPAC Pushing USA Into War With Iran

Congressman Steve Rothman (D-NJ) Responds to Mossadegh Project
article

CAUGHT RED-HANDED: Media Backtracks on Iran's Anti-Israel
'Threat'

"WIPED OFF THE MAP" - The Rumor of the
Century

Blowback: Ron Paul on Mossadegh, the 1953 coup and U.S. Foreign
Policy

More Iran News and Updates....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mohammadmossadegh.com/1953/

The 1953 Coup: A Testimony in Blood and Oil

"Laws, parliaments and governments are created to serve the people and
not the people to serve them... In a democracy and constitutional
system the will of the people is the law." - Mohammad Mossadegh

Written, Compiled and Edited by Arash
Norouzi

After years in the making, The Mossadegh Project presents the most
ambitious testimonial record ever assembled of the 1953 coup d'etat
against the legitimate, peaceful, democratic government of Iran's
beloved Prime Minister, Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh. You will hear from
over 200 figures including world leaders, diplomats, foreign policy
analysts, military personnel, noted authors, intellectuals, CIA
officials, Pulitzer prize winners, Nobel Prize laureates, Academy
Award winners, and many others.

This will be a permanent documentation of the public statements made
pertaining to that fateful event, and also serve to correct various
inaccuracies within their assertions. Also included are accounts from
the atrocity's British, American and Iranian co-conspirators, as well
as modern day apologists and coup-deniers, whose arguments will be
swiftly annihilated with good old-fashioned facts and logic.

A definitive resource with text, audio and video archives,
www.mohammadmossadegh.com/1953 will be regularly updated and
categorized for quick reference. It's a reservoir of information and
testimonies that Western imperialists, neocon hypocrites and monarch-
worshipping Persian traitors don't want you to see, documenting one of
the most significant, relevant, and yet little-known world events of
the past 100 years.

Links

United States Presidents

Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Bill Clinton

U.S. Government Officials & Diplomats
Dean Acheson
George McGhee
Fraser Wilkins
Henry Byroade
William M. Rountree
Loy Henderson
Madeline Albright
Alan Greenspan
Nicholas Burns
John Bolton
Bill Richardson
David Frum
Thomas R. Pickering
Ramsey Clark
Joseph Limbert
Ari Fleischer
Gary Sick
Robert W. Komer
Henry Precht
Goli Ameri
Larry Wilkerson
Scott McCellan
Henry Kissinger
Newt Gingrich
U.S. Congressmen

Ron Paul (R-TX)
Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
Jim Moran (D-VA)
Jim McDermott (D-WA)
Robert Byrd (D-WV)
Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
Bernie Sanders (D-VT)
Jim Wright (D-TX)
David Obey (D-WI)
U.S. Senators

Mike Gravel (D-AK)
Richard Lugar (R-IN)
Gary Hart (D-CO)
Jay Rockefeller (D-NY)

CIA (Central Intelligence Agency)
Kermit Roosevelt
Richard Cottam
Donald Wilber
Jesse Leaf
William Casey
William J. Daugherty
Paul Pillar
Chalmers Johnson
Michael V. Hayden
Richard Helms
Vernon A. Walters
Ray McGovern
United States Military

General Wesley Clark
General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr.
General Michael Hayden
Scott Ritter
Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson
Colonel Ann Wright
American Hostages Held in Iran

Bruce Laingen
Joseph Limbert
William J. Daugherty
American Journalists
Kennett Love
Stephen Kinzer
Walter Cronkite
Ted Koppel
James Risen
Carl Rowan
George Will
Bill Moyers
John Perkins
Christiane Amanpour
Howard Fineman
Kenneth Pollack
Naomi Klein
Fareed Zakaria
Barbara Slavin
Robert Scheer
Barry Rubin
Robert Dreyfuss
Amy Kellogg
Arthur Kent
Reese Erlich
Daniel Yergin
Roland S. Martin
Bruce Morton
Dan de Luce
Mark Bowden
Russell Baker
Clifton Daniel
Mike Malloy
Tim Weiner
Russell Mokhiber
American Professors

Noam Chomsky
Mark J. Gasiorowski
Stephen Zunes
Ward Churchill
Juan Cole
Nikkie Keddie
James A. Bill
Richard Nelson Frye
Fouad Ajami
Alon Ben-Meir
Foreign Policy Analysts

Joseph Cirincione
George Perkovich
Walter Russell Mead
Barry Rubin
Ted Galen Carpenter
Gareth Porter
Artists / Performers

Allen Ginsberg
Jello Biafra
John le Carré
Gore Vidal
Coleman Barks
Ted Rall
The Clash
Hollywood

Robert De Niro
Matt Damon
John Hurt
Sean Penn
Stephen Gaghan
Oliver Stone
Amanda Peet
Miscellaneous

Ralph Nader
Lyndon Larouche
Louis Farrakhan
Jody Williams
Michael Moore
Cindy Sheehan

British Government

Winston Churchill
Jack Straw
Tony Blair
Ken Livingstone
Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Benn
Phyllis Starkey
Sir Sam Falle
Sir Donald Logan
Sir Peter Ramsbotham
Sir George Middleton
Lord Douglas Hurd
Lord David Chidgey
Lord Norman Lamont
Baroness Shirley Wiliams
British Journalists

Christopher Hitchens
Robert Fisk
Mark Curtis
Jon Snow
Rageh Omaar
British Entertainers

Rory Bremner
Robert Newman

Iranian Government

Hossein Fatemi
Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi
Abol Banisadr
Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomenei
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Mohammad Khatami
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Manucher Farmanfarmaian
Javad Zarif
Ebrahim Yazdi
Rasoul Movahedian
Mehdi Karroubi
Saeed Jalili
Seyed Abbas Araghchi
Gholam Ali-Haddad Adel

Iranian Figures
Shirin Ebadi
Akbar Ganji
Marjane Satrapi
Nosratollah Amini
Maryam Rajavi
Reza Pahlavi
Ashraf Palavi
Soraya Esfandiary
Omid Kordestani
Gholam-Hossein Mossadegh
Iranian Authors/Scholars/Analysts

Homa Katouzian
Farhad Diba
Abbas Milani
Ervand Abrahamian
Ray Takeyh
Vali Nasr
Afshin Molavi
Trita Parsi
Abbas Amanat
Hooshang Amirahmadi
Karim Sadjapour

International

Hans Blix (Sweden)
Ahdaf Soueif (Egypt/Britain)
Yasmin Ahmad (Malaysia)
Ryszard Kapuscinski (Poland)

Arab Governments
Jamil M. Baroody (Saudi Arabia)
Mohamed Hassanein Heikal (Egypt)

Coup-Deniers

Farah Pahlavi
Ardeshir Zahedi
Amir Taheri

Hall of Shame
Dinesh D'Souza
Ann Coulter
David Frum
Ashraf Palavi
Reza Pahlavi
John Bolton
Tony Blair
Sir Donald Logan
Sir Sam Falle
Richard Shenkman
Michael Ledeen

related links:

Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh Biography

Peace,
Doc

mike532

Jan 10, 2008, 4:52:29 AM1/10/08
to P0liticalF0rum
the world would be a lot better off if we had left the elected
government in Iran alone . But no ! we had to install the shaw in
power and we all know how well that worked out don't we .