100-year-old cache of explorer Henry Vere Barclay

Gary Vines

Jul 25, 2018, 9:02:24 AM7/25/18
to OzArch
Racing legend Larry Perkins has discovered the 100-year-old cache of the explorer Henry Vere Barclay. The cache is described as a "highly significant archaeological find". http://ow.ly/WT6w30l4f1u #ozarch

I turned around to Peter and I said, 'We've found it'.

"It was a fantastic feeling that I will never forget."

From there, with the help of a metal detector, they unearthed a substantial cache of equipment, including carpenter's tools, scientific equipment and 600 rounds of ammunition. There were also personal belongings, including painting equipment. Barclay, as it turned out, was a bit of an artist.

With the help of archaeologists provided by the Northern Territory Government, the brothers excavated more of the artefacts, notably some photographic glass plates and a silver membership tag to an unknown club, dating back to 1902