Wombat remains within the Archaeological Record

Rober...@outlook.com

Jul 24, 2018, 11:19:46 PM7/24/18
to OzArch

Dear Ozarch members,

I am interested in identifying cases where wombat remains have been found within archaeological sites in SE Australia (V.ursinus). I am hoping that there may be a few floating around within the grey literature and would appreciate it if you may be able to send though any relevant references off list to georgia....@gmail.com.

Many thanks,

Georgia Roberts

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jul 25, 2018, 12:15:39 AM7/25/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello Georgia,

Many (or maybe "many many") years ago on the plains west of Bourke, towards the Gunderbooka Mountiains, I found in the side of a shallow gully 'sub-fossil' (infilled holes that looked to me just the same as wombat burrows I had extensively seen previously at Budthingeroo south of Jenolan Caves on the road to Kanangra Walls.   This would be far west, I think, or known wombat records.  At the time Bourke Council, NSW Environment, the Wombat Protection Society and many others were asked about this.   And, despite few more scattered follow-ups since then I still do not know what is the known westernmost limit of wombat presence in NSW.

Cheers, John

Jul 25, 2018, 12:51:39 AM7/25/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com
It depends which wombat you are talking about. There are plenty of wombat remains in western NSW and SA, including the Willandra Lakes. But that's the hairy nosed wombat, Lasiorhinus, not the common wombat, Vombatus. Are they in archaeological sites at the Willandra? Difficult to say, because both the archaeological sites and wombat borrows containing remains are eroded.

Jeannette

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) on the Telstra Mobile Network

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jul 25, 2018, 12:58:04 AM7/25/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jeanette,

Willandra Lakes is then the westernmost known.

I presume the hairy nosed burrows the same as the common?

Cheers, John